CTN: A History

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

colchar
PWing School Professor

Re: CTN: A History

Post by colchar » August 20th, 2009, 5:29 pm

wilson wrote:
windsor wrote:Plagarize away - I would be honored. We geeks are not know for our writing (or spelling) abilities
Tell me about it. :-B ;)

Nice catch.
". . . when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."
— Samuel Johnson

----------

2010 & 2012 CTN NASCAR Fantasy League Champion. No lemurs were harmed in the winning of these titles.

----------
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » August 20th, 2009, 5:33 pm

crap.
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » August 20th, 2009, 5:34 pm

VIBES comes from over yonder. I recall asking for vibes during my job search days. I also recall sending vibes when Moneypenny got lost one time.
So EarlJam came up with crazietalk? I wonder if the hyphenated boys hijacked EarlJam.
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » August 20th, 2009, 5:36 pm

Lavabe wrote:VIBES comes from over yonder. I recall asking for vibes during my job search days. I also recall sending vibes when Moneypenny got lost one time.
So EarlJam came up with crazietalk? I wonder if the hyphenated boys hijacked EarlJam.
They come from over yonder, but are frowned upon.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » August 20th, 2009, 5:40 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
Lavabe wrote:VIBES comes from over yonder. I recall asking for vibes during my job search days. I also recall sending vibes when Moneypenny got lost one time.
They come from over yonder, but are frowned upon.

Because 'over yonder is not a personal support group' so I've been told.
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 20th, 2009, 5:43 pm

Fabulous idea.

I might be able to contribute a thing or two or 2000+... :oops: :roll: :)) :))
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » August 20th, 2009, 6:56 pm

windsor wrote:In the planning (plotting?) stages, which I believe started on Facebook there was a great deal of anti-dbr sentiment. The rotating moderators and over all concept of CTN in the earliest days was, as I recall, in direct response to what we didn’t like about the DBR. Several of the original names proposed had a decided anti over yonder sentiment. Cooler heads prevailed. Yeah for cooler heads! There was substantial ill will between some of the CTN founding fathers and mothers and persons moderating the DBR and frankly it was the motivation to get the CTN ball rolling.

I am glad the CTN very quickly evolved away from an us vs them mentality and that the number of DBR related posts dropped off within the first week or so. You see one every now and then when something unusual happens but not very often.

This is a good thing. We aren’t the DBR. We don’t want to be the DBR. We are not going to turn in to a news source for Duke Basketball. They have their place, we have ours.

We are the cyber equivalent of the Bull & Finch (Cheers) the place where everybody knows your name. Where people genuinely care if Elfant has gone missing…or if Windsor wants a cigarette…who worry about Ima’s daughter and Uncle Yucky. We kick shins. We send vibes. We like beer (bud light is not beer). We disagree but thus far, we do not fight.

We are a rag tag group of people united by a passion for Duke Basketball who are rapidly morphing into a family…who welcome like minded souls with open arms.

Pull up a stool, pour a brew and tell a tale…all are welcome here (unless your name is Tumbo...or Dumbo...or Mumbo or oh hell I forget... :)) )
Windsor, I think I'm going to cry. This is beautiful!

The only thing I disagree with you on is that Bud Light IS a beer. That goes for you too, CB&B :D The brew I have poured and am drinking now IS a Bud Light.
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » August 20th, 2009, 8:45 pm

windsor wrote:Plagarize away - I would be honored. We geeks are not know for our writing (or spelling) abilities.

Things to define:
Over Yonder, TBTMNBN et al
Brunchgate
shin kicks (from, as I recall the 'Things I learned from a the playground' thread over yonder...at least that is what I think started the conversation - it was red rover and little girls clothes lining people and one of us (Tilly? Sue?) jumped in with kicking shins
LASERS

I'll try to keep an eye out for inside jokes and flag them when I see them
Shin kicks came about as someone was having an issue with someone else, not on DBR, and I offered to kick the person in the shins. If you really need me to, I'll go research it over yonder.
I worship the Blue Devil!
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » August 20th, 2009, 8:47 pm

Lavabe loves, loves, loves my little Moneypenny. But, it was Katie who ran away.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » August 20th, 2009, 9:22 pm

TillyGalore wrote:
Lavabe loves, loves, loves my little Moneypenny. But, it was Katie who ran away.
Thanks for refreshing my memory on that one. Moneypenny was too young to run away. Fortunately, Katie Kitty returned.
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » August 20th, 2009, 9:33 pm

Lavabe wrote:
TillyGalore wrote:
Thanks for refreshing my memory on that one. Moneypenny was too young to run away. Fortunately, Katie Kitty returned.
Yes, thank God she was found. Oh, Moneypenny just stopped by, she asked me to say "meow" to you.
DukieInKansas
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » August 20th, 2009, 9:47 pm

windsor wrote:crap.
You spelled that one right! :D
Life is good!
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » August 21st, 2009, 9:25 am

Shin Kicking Research

In an effort NOT to do any meaningful work...I went over yonder and searched the OTB for shin/kick (let me mention now how much I hate having to wait 30 seconds between searches) :!! ~x(

The first reference I found to shin kicks was:
shinkicks.JPG
A month later BostonDevil requested mental shin kicks in the LTE. Several happily complied :))
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » August 21st, 2009, 10:00 am

windsor wrote:Shin Kicking Research

In an effort NOT to do any meaningful work...I went over yonder and searched the OTB for shin/kick (let me mention now how much I hate having to wait 30 seconds between searches) :!! ~x(

The first reference I found to shin kicks was:
shinkicks.JPG
A month later BostonDevil requested mental shin kicks in the LTE. Several happily complied :))
For some reason, I can't get my captured screen print to post here.

The first mention of kicking shins was February 6th, when I offered to kick someone's shins for BD. Here is the link, though you'll need to scroll down.

http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/for ... k&page=510
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » August 21st, 2009, 10:09 am

hmmm...I originally searched on shins and never got that one. How very odd...no matter...it predates the Red Rover thread so the First Shin Kick Trophy passes to Tilly!
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » August 21st, 2009, 2:41 pm

I would like noted the VERY short lived coup de tat in late July 2009 when I took the crown from DDDD. ;)

And that I am lord of the emoticons. :D

And that (I think it was Wilson?) was finally victorious in the group effort to teach the king to quote. And I managed to teach him how to make an avatar.

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » August 21st, 2009, 4:44 pm

bjornolf wrote:I would like noted the VERY short lived coup de tat in late July 2009 when I took the crown from DDDD. ;)
That's coup d’état. :-B Man, this grammar police badge does wonders for one's PWing efforts.
bjornolf wrote:And that (I think it was Wilson?) was finally victorious in the group effort to teach the king to quote.

%%-
And this was a group effort. I do think, however, that it was my good-natured ribbing that finally spurred dd to learn how to do it.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 21st, 2009, 5:13 pm

bjornolf wrote:I would like noted the VERY short lived coup de tat in late July 2009 when I took the crown from DDDD. ;)

And that I am lord of the emoticons. :D

And that (I think it was Wilson?) was finally victorious in the group effort to teach the king to quote. And I managed to teach him how to make an avatar.

%%-
1. It was not a hostile takeover... ;)
2. Yes, you are.
3a. Wrong. It was ILJ when she visited us at the coast several weeks ago. But Bones, bjornolf and wilson made valiant but futile efforts... :oops:
3b. That is correct. ;)
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 21st, 2009, 5:21 pm

wilson wrote:
That's coup d’état. :-B Man, this grammar police badge does wonders for one's PWing efforts.
bjornolf wrote:And that (I think it was Wilson?) was finally victorious in the group effort to teach the king to quote.

%%-
And this was a group effort. I do think, however, that it was my good-natured ribbing that finally spurred dd to learn how to do it.
"...worst quoter ever..." is not good-natured ribbing :roll: ;)

But it was very motivational. :D

It coulda been worse. It coulda been Coach K with a "mo$#%^f!*&^$" or "you F%^$@!* stoopid miserable dumb$&!*" The love here gets MIGHTY thick sometimes... ;;) :-*
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » August 21st, 2009, 6:04 pm

wilson wrote:

Man, I even looked that up. Ah, well, learn me to trust google. How the heck did you get the accent over the "e"?

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage