CTN: A History

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

wilson
PWing School Professor

CTN: A History

Post by wilson » August 20th, 2009, 2:39 pm

colchar and I have agreed to pen the short history of CTN, and we need everyone's help. Please post anecdotes, specific points about this site, and any other thoughts on what should or should not be included in the site history here.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Re: CTN: A History

Post by CameronBornAndBred » August 20th, 2009, 2:43 pm

Great idea. I'm stickying this thread until you get a good amount of material.
I would say you gotta start with lasered lemurs and the facebook group. The group and all of the posts leading to the birth of CTN is still there. (DBR Posters)
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » August 20th, 2009, 2:53 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote: I would say you gotta start with lasered lemurs and the facebook group. The group and all of the posts leading to the birth of CTN is still there. (DBR Posters)

In the 'Front Page Help' thread Wilson had mused about how much we needed to talk about events over yonder and I posted this in response:
"Much like historiography that is only peripherally related to your topic, it will have to be mentioned but not dealt with in any sort of detail. I guess something like "This is where we came from, this is why we ended up here, now let's talk about this place."

I figure we can briefly discuss events over there (how briefly is yet to be determined) and then get into the story of this place, its personalities, and all the rest of the stuff (inside jokes, references, etc.) that newcomers will need/want to know.
". . . when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."
— Samuel Johnson

----------

2010 & 2012 CTN NASCAR Fantasy League Champion. No lemurs were harmed in the winning of these titles.

----------
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » August 20th, 2009, 2:58 pm

I agree with that, I don't think we want to dwell on over yonder, but we could state the reasons for setting up CTN were born out of frustration of "other sites".
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » August 20th, 2009, 3:23 pm

While I can't think of anything to contribute, it would be great if what you come up with can be shared with everyone so we can make suggestions on changes/additions.
I worship the Blue Devil!
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » August 20th, 2009, 3:24 pm

In the planning (plotting?) stages, which I believe started on Facebook there was a great deal of anti-dbr sentiment. The rotating moderators and over all concept of CTN in the earliest days was, as I recall, in direct response to what we didn’t like about the DBR. Several of the original names proposed had a decided anti over yonder sentiment. Cooler heads prevailed. Yeah for cooler heads! There was substantial ill will between some of the CTN founding fathers and mothers and persons moderating the DBR and frankly it was the motivation to get the CTN ball rolling.

I am glad the CTN very quickly evolved away from an us vs them mentality and that the number of DBR related posts dropped off within the first week or so. You see one every now and then when something unusual happens but not very often.

This is a good thing. We aren’t the DBR. We don’t want to be the DBR. We are not going to turn in to a news source for Duke Basketball. They have their place, we have ours.

We are the cyber equivalent of the Bull & Finch (Cheers) the place where everybody knows your name. Where people genuinely care if Elfant has gone missing…or if Windsor wants a cigarette…who worry about Ima’s daughter and Uncle Yucky. We kick shins. We send vibes. We like beer (bud light is not beer). We disagree but thus far, we do not fight.

We are a rag tag group of people united by a passion for Duke Basketball who are rapidly morphing into a family…who welcome like minded souls with open arms.

Pull up a stool, pour a brew and tell a tale…all are welcome here (unless your name is Tumbo...or Dumbo...or Mumbo or oh hell I forget... :)) )
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » August 20th, 2009, 3:27 pm

windsor wrote:In the planning (plotting?) stages, which I believe started on Facebook there was a great deal of anti-dbr sentiment. The rotating moderators and over all concept of CTN in the earliest days was, as I recall, in direct response to what we didn’t like about the DBR. Several of the original names proposed had a decided anti over yonder sentiment. Cooler heads prevailed. Yeah for cooler heads! There was substantial ill will between some of the CTN founding fathers and mothers and persons moderating the DBR and frankly it was the motivation to get the CTN ball rolling.

I am glad the CTN very quickly evolved away from an us vs them mentality and that the number of DBR related posts dropped off within the first week or so. You see one every now and then when something unusual happens but not very often.

This is a good thing. We aren’t the DBR. We don’t want to be the DBR. We are not going to turn in to a news source for Duke Basketball. They have their place, we have ours.

We are the cyber equivalent of the Bull & Finch (Cheers) the place where everybody knows your name. Where people genuinely care if Elfant has gone missing…or if Windsor wants a cigarette…who worry about Ima’s daughter and Uncle Yucky. We kick shins. We send vibes. We like beer (bud light is not beer). We disagree but thus far, we do not fight.

We are a rag tag group of people united by a passion for Duke Basketball who are rapidly morphing into a family…who welcome like minded souls with open arms.

Pull up a stool, pour a brew and tell a tale…all are welcome here (unless your name is Tumbo...or Dumbo...or Mumbo or oh hell I forget... :)) )
Excellent, excellent post!!!
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » August 20th, 2009, 4:09 pm

Other than why/how this place was created, we need people to suggest other items to be included - basically things that have become common knowledge/inside jokes that might otherwise be puzzling to new members.

For example: everyone here would get it if I were to refer to Windsor as my mother-in-law but what if a new person was to see that and then read some later post of mine in which I happened to mention that I'd met a great girl or had started dating someone? That might be rather confusing to a newbie. Or brunchgate - it would have to be explained as well (it would also help explain the connections between some of the posters here). Or why the longest thread here is titled LTE 2.0!

Those were just quick, off the top of my head, examples but Wilson and I need as many things like those as possible so that we can be comprehensive and not miss things that we might have forgotten or never have known about in the first place (say something that happened in a thread that neither of us had read or something that might have happened on the board that was the first incarnation of this place as I was there but Wilson wasn't).

Historians like Wilson and myself are nothing without good sources and you folks are our sources!! This can be our own little oral history project ;)
". . . when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."
— Samuel Johnson

----------

2010 & 2012 CTN NASCAR Fantasy League Champion. No lemurs were harmed in the winning of these titles.

----------
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » August 20th, 2009, 4:21 pm

TillyGalore wrote:
windsor wrote:In the planning (plotting?) stages, which I believe started on Facebook there was a great deal of anti-dbr sentiment. The rotating moderators and over all concept of CTN in the earliest days was, as I recall, in direct response to what we didn’t like about the DBR. Several of the original names proposed had a decided anti over yonder sentiment. Cooler heads prevailed. Yeah for cooler heads! There was substantial ill will between some of the CTN founding fathers and mothers and persons moderating the DBR and frankly it was the motivation to get the CTN ball rolling.

I second Tilly's comment. A truly lovely expression of who we are and what we're about. Well done, windsor.
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » August 20th, 2009, 4:23 pm

TillyGalore wrote:...it would be great if what you come up with can be shared with everyone so we can make suggestions on changes/additions.
I dunno about colchar, but this was part of my vision all along...I figured the CTN history would function as a wiki of sorts, if you will...at least go through a series of community edits before we post its final edition.
Miles
PWing School Associate Professor
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by Miles » August 20th, 2009, 4:29 pm

wilson wrote:
TillyGalore wrote:...it would be great if what you come up with can be shared with everyone so we can make suggestions on changes/additions.
I dunno about colchar, but this was part of my vision all along...I figured the CTN history would function as a wiki of sorts, if you will...at least go through a series of community edits before we post its final edition.
A wiki sounds like a great idea/model to follow!
sMiles
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » August 20th, 2009, 4:33 pm

wilson wrote:
TillyGalore wrote:

I second Tilly's comment. A truly lovely expression of who we are and what we're about. Well done, windsor.

I can see us plagiarizing parts of that. How do you feel about that Mom?
— Samuel Johnson

----------

----------
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » August 20th, 2009, 4:34 pm

wilson wrote:

That was exactly my vision as well. Also, I figured we could add to it when needed.
— Samuel Johnson

----------

----------
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » August 20th, 2009, 4:37 pm

colchar wrote:
wilson wrote:

That was exactly my vision as well. Also, I figured we could add to it when needed.
I love it when everyone is on the same page. :D :D :D
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » August 20th, 2009, 4:40 pm

You probably need to explain:

The history of LTE 2.0.
Shin kicking.
Vibes

I'll try to think of a few others.
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » August 20th, 2009, 4:43 pm

I think we need to figure out a way to incorporate some of the material from Lavabe's "Why I love CTN" thread, as I think that one does a really good job of illustrating why this place exists and what it means to us.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » August 20th, 2009, 5:15 pm

wilson wrote:I think we need to figure out a way to incorporate some of the material from Lavabe's "Why I love CTN" thread, as I think that one does a really good job of illustrating why this place exists and what it means to us.
I think some of that and Windsor's writings could be thrown into sort of a charter document linkable on the front page.
As far as history, I'd include
1.The Ymm, beer thread, and why bud light is not listed on it. :))
2.Pastrami and pastrami related info such as Carnegie Deli.
3.EarlJam could probably have his own paragraph. (By the way, he came up with name, I just modified it from crazy to crazie)
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » August 20th, 2009, 5:18 pm

Plagarize away - I would be honored. We geeks are not know for our writing (or spelling) abilities.

Things to define:
Over Yonder, TBTMNBN et al
Brunchgate
shin kicks (from, as I recall the 'Things I learned from a the playground' thread over yonder...at least that is what I think started the conversation - it was red rover and little girls clothes lining people and one of us (Tilly? Sue?) jumped in with kicking shins
LASERS

I'll try to keep an eye out for inside jokes and flag them when I see them
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » August 20th, 2009, 5:23 pm

windsor wrote:Plagarize away - I would be honored. We geeks are not know for our writing (or spelling) abilities.

I had planned to blatantly steal from you. I only asked because it isn't smart to piss off one's mother in law ;)
— Samuel Johnson

----------

----------
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » August 20th, 2009, 5:25 pm

windsor wrote:Plagarize away - I would be honored. We geeks are not know for our writing (or spelling) abilities
Tell me about it. :-B ;)