Vibe time

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Vibe time

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » November 1st, 2020, 11:32 am

Got a phone call Friday evening about 7 pm from my mom's assisted living facility. Never a good sign, right? It was the nurse, telling me that my mom had just been transported to a local hospital. She experienced shortness of breath and chest pains while eating dinner. They called 911 and off she went. I may have misheard about the chest pains, but not shortness of breath. The nurse didn't know if she would be admitted to the hospital later that night or not, and wouldn't until about 11 pm. I called my brother, who lives near Ft. Lauderdale, and told him what was going on. He spoke to someone at hospital but didn't get much more info.

The hospital did admit her, and I called mom's cell phone about 8 a.m. and she answered. She sounded groggy, and didn't know what was going on or why she was there. Mom has no short term memory, so asking her questions about something important is never productive, but she said she felt tired and did sound a little out of breath, but not bad. Later in the morning my brother was told by a nurse there that she did in fact have Covid-19 and was on an antibiotic and oxygen. In the afternoon when I spoke with the nurse she told me she also has pneumonia, and that's what the antibiotic was for.

Spoke to mom again this morning, her lack of memory kicking in big time, she wanted to know where her furniture was? Didn't argue with her that she was still in the hospital. Other than that, she sounded OK. Ron, my brother, called mid morning and we had a 3-way (call) with the day nurse, who updated us, confirming the pneumonia and Covid, asked who was her one proxy (me, I have her POA's and copies of her living will, etc.). We requested that the nurse have the doctor (of record) call me later today after he made rounds to give me a further update on her condition. She is not on Remdesivir - the hospital said they only give that to the most critical patients. Um, need to talk to the doctor about this. Here's some info on Remdesivir https://www.vekluryhcp.com/?gclid=Cj0KC ... lsrc=aw.ds

So anyway, vibes from my CTN family are appreciated!
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
OPK
Graduate Student at PWing school
Graduate Student at PWing school

Re: Vibe time

Post by OPK » November 1st, 2020, 11:55 am

Best vibes to you and her. {{{{{vibes}}}}}
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » November 1st, 2020, 12:01 pm

Ozzie, vibes and prayers and all good thoughts for you and your Mom and your family.
Iron Duke #1471997.
richardjackson199
PWing as a hobby
PWing as a hobby

Post by richardjackson199 » November 1st, 2020, 12:04 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
November 1st, 2020, 11:32 am
Got a phone call Friday evening about 7 pm from my mom's assisted living facility. Never a good sign, right? It was the nurse, telling me that my mom had just been transported to a local hospital. She experienced shortness of breath and chest pains while eating dinner. They called 911 and off she went. I may have misheard about the chest pains, but not shortness of breath. The nurse didn't know if she would be admitted to the hospital later that night or not, and wouldn't until about 11 pm. I called my brother, who lives near Ft. Lauderdale, and told him what was going on. He spoke to someone at hospital but didn't get much more info.

The hospital did admit her, and I called mom's cell phone about 8 a.m. and she answered. She sounded groggy, and didn't know what was going on or why she was there. Mom has no short term memory, so asking her questions about something important is never productive, but she said she felt tired and did sound a little out of breath, but not bad. Later in the morning my brother was told by a nurse there that she did in fact have Covid-19 and was on an antibiotic and oxygen. In the afternoon when I spoke with the nurse she told me she also has pneumonia, and that's what the antibiotic was for.

Spoke to mom again this morning, her lack of memory kicking in big time, she wanted to know where her furniture was? Didn't argue with her that she was still in the hospital. Other than that, she sounded OK. Ron, my brother, called mid morning and we had a 3-way (call) with the day nurse, who updated us, confirming the pneumonia and Covid, asked who was her one proxy (me, I have her POA's and copies of her living will, etc.). We requested that the nurse have the doctor (of record) call me later today after he made rounds to give me a further update on her condition. She is not on Remdesivir - the hospital said they only give that to the most critical patients. Um, need to talk to the doctor about this. Here's some info on Remdesivir https://www.vekluryhcp.com/?gclid=Cj0KC ... lsrc=aw.ds

So anyway, vibes from my CTN family are appreciated!
Good Vibes! I hope they take great care of her and things get better!
fuse
Full Time Student at PWing school

Post by fuse » November 1st, 2020, 12:11 pm

Offering good vibes for the best outcome for your mom.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » November 1st, 2020, 12:16 pm

I’m so sorry, Ozzie. Sending all vibes, prayers, well wishes, etc.
:wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard:
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
Phredd3

Post by Phredd3 » November 1st, 2020, 1:31 pm

ImageImageImage

Seriously, good vibes to your mom and family.
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » November 1st, 2020, 2:25 pm

Thanks for the vibes, they're helping!

Here's a quick update: the infectious disease doc is putting her on convalescent plasma. That's the stuff with Covid-19 antibodies from other patients. And the doc says that overall she's doing pretty well, only needing oxygen periodically. Remdesivir has some serious renal and liver side effects, so that's held off until things get worse, and only if they do.

devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » November 1st, 2020, 2:27 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
November 1st, 2020, 2:25 pm
Thanks for the vibes, they're helping!

Here's a quick update: the infectious disease doc is putting her on convalescent plasma. That's the stuff with Covid-19 antibodies from other patients. And the doc says that overall she's doing pretty well, only needing oxygen periodically. Remdesivir has some serious renal and liver side effects, so that's held off until things get worse, and only if they do.
That sounds pretty reasonable from a medical perspective.

Healing prayers and thoughts headed your/her way.
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » November 1st, 2020, 2:42 pm

Sending lots of vibes and happy to hear the update; that sounds promising!

:wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard:
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
Nrrrrvous
Part Time Student at PWing school
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by Nrrrrvous » November 1st, 2020, 4:35 pm

Sending all my good vibes your way!!!
Bob Green
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by Bob Green » November 1st, 2020, 6:12 pm

Sending Green Family vibes to you Ozzie.
DukieInKansas
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » November 2nd, 2020, 8:01 am

Sending prayers and vibes from Kansas.
Life is good!
IowaDevil
PWing School Associate Professor
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by IowaDevil » November 3rd, 2020, 7:37 pm

Lots of vibes from Iowa for Mom and for you...Keep us posted. :ymhug:
:happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f:
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » November 4th, 2020, 6:28 am

I don't have a Wednesday morning update yet this morning but yesterday wasn't a good day. Mom's oxygen level kept falling on Monday and they decided to put her on Rendesivir, which happened on Tuesday. It's five doses, with a larger "bolus" dose initially. They have to watch her liver enzymes because liver and kidney damage is a side effect. If the enzymes go up to much they'll stop the treatment. Gonna be a long couple of days on more than one "count".

ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » November 4th, 2020, 7:41 am

So sorry to hear this, Ozzie. Doubling down on prayers and vibes. :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard:
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
Phredd3

Post by Phredd3 » November 4th, 2020, 11:07 am

ImageImageImage