Biden won, it's over --- The Election Thread

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Biden won, it's over --- The Election Thread

Post by CameronBornAndBred » July 30th, 2020, 11:44 pm

I've thought about this long and hard. For much longer than just today, anyway.
CTN was founded upon the idea that we, as Duke fans, have a place to share our thoughts without them being censored. Literally.

And in the years that we've been active, we've taken advantage of that foundation. We cuss, we complain, we share ideas, (while we drink beer even!) and we've still managed to do it respectfully.

Honestly, we aren't a "sports site" so much as we are a gathering of people with something that unifies us, which IS Duke sports. That premise alone is why we have the best tailgate experience during football season. In person, all of us, unified by one team, laughing and drinking AND taking a moment or two to say that you are either right or wrong for your political beliefs.
And we do that with respect.

With that in mind, I'm opening this thread.
This is very much the most important election in any of our lifetimes. I do ask that if you post, you do it respectfully. There is literally no moderation here, we trust ourselves. However, if anyone resorts to name calling, that will change, but it's a risk that I am willing to take. I have faith in you, and others that may join in the conversation.

I do ask that if you post, back your thoughts up with facts. Post links. (If you don't know how, please ask.) You are welcome to offer your opinion, but please do so based in legitimate reporting.

PS...as always, as long as you back up back up your argument, you are more than welcome to say "fuck that guy". Just make sure that comment is directed to "that guy" and not the poster who commented.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
Bob Green
PWing School Endowed Professor

Re: Trump Vs Biden --- The Election Thread

Post by Bob Green » July 31st, 2020, 5:03 am

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
July 30th, 2020, 11:44 pm
This is very much the most important election in any of our lifetimes.
Voter turnout is going to make the difference. Staying home and not voting is not an option in 2020. I am not excited by Biden but I am excited to vote against Trump.
Still_mtn_devil
I don't know what PWing is.

Post by Still_mtn_devil » July 31st, 2020, 7:11 am

Thanks for this opportunity. I genuinely value the perspectives of our fans - sometimes especially those that I disagree with.
It feels weird being the "new guy," but trust me, I'm not really "new."
OPK
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by OPK » July 31st, 2020, 7:33 am

ChatBot is the Deep State. Just so y’all know.

(A joke for those who have done the in-game chats during basketball season — it hates me and me only for some reason).

Trump’s team has temporarily pulled all of its ads in order to ”fine tune” their message. I think it’s gonna take more than that.
Last edited by OPK on July 31st, 2020, 7:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
Furniture
Part Time Student at PWing school
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by Furniture » July 31st, 2020, 7:34 am

I bet Trump was glad he didn’t go to John Lewis’s funeral yesterday. Imagine listening to all of that. I really enjoyed listening to the three presidents!
If anyone ever tells you they are a stable genius. Get the hell out of there.
OPK

Post by OPK » July 31st, 2020, 7:40 am

Furniture wrote:
July 31st, 2020, 7:34 am
I bet Trump was glad he didn’t go to John Lewis’s funeral yesterday. Imagine listening to all of that. I really enjoyed listening to the three presidents!
It was jarring to hear the civility of a political opponent like W give a great eulogy. I forgot what that sounded like, it is so absent these days.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » July 31st, 2020, 8:24 am

OPK wrote:
July 31st, 2020, 7:40 am
Furniture wrote:
July 31st, 2020, 7:34 am
It was jarring to hear the civility of a political opponent like W give a great eulogy. I forgot what that sounded like, it is so absent these days.
That's very true. I was not a Bush fan (both), but they had my respect. I ridiculed him for his "Mission Accomplished" moment, but also appreciated his leadership at times such as 9/11. And after leaving office, like Clinton, Carter, and Obama, he has been admirable when he has chosen to speak.
gumbomoop
PWing as a hobby
PWing as a hobby

Post by gumbomoop » July 31st, 2020, 8:40 am

Thanks so much for this site and thread. Before trying a substantive post, I’d like to ask for some clarification from CBB, and think it might be wise to ask him publicly in this thread, rather than privately, as others might have a similar question and benefit from a public answer. I refer to CBB’s intro post in this thread, in particular re name-calling, backing up thoughts with facts, expressing opinions based on legit reporting.

As the topic of Donald Trump often elicits very strong feelings, including mine, let me try a concrete example. I’m being serious here, wanting to understand the rules, not trying to sneak in a snarky point that breaks the rules.

Is it acceptable to label Trump a pathological liar who lies both outrageously and matter-of-factly every day?

Is that name-calling based on mere opinion? Would I need to cite WaPo’s daily updating on the number of lies?
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » July 31st, 2020, 8:44 am

gumbomoop wrote:
July 31st, 2020, 8:40 am
Is it acceptable to label Trump a pathological liar who lies both outrageously and matter-of-factly every day?
Of course it is. What's not acceptable is to tell another poster they are an idiot for disagreeing with you.
You are restricted to saying what they posted is idiotic. ;) (But try to do that with better diplomacy!)
gumbomoop
PWing as a hobby
PWing as a hobby

Post by gumbomoop » July 31st, 2020, 8:56 am

Thanks, CBB. After getting the drift of this thread, I may at some point attempt a serious post on the character differences between Trump and Biden, and the ways in which Trump presents an existential threat to our constitutional democratic republic.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » July 31st, 2020, 9:25 am

Crossing fingers that this isn't the one, but I've long surmised that one of the storms that is predicted to affect the US is going to be a huge moment for Trump. This week, we may see if I am right or wrong.

If Isaisiaisisiaisis (not gonna try to spell it correctly, nor pronounce it!) hits the east coast as predicted, FEMA's getting put to the test again. While I'm crossing fingers that it flat out misses us, or if it does hit remains minimal and speedy, the truth is that we are still early in the season and others are likely to follow behind.
Piled on top of coronavirus, race relations, and a tanking economy, it's a recipe for a disastrous election day. That is unless DJT actually shows some leadership and handles the storms well. (Not holding my breath on that, but if his staff are smart, they are lining up lots of storm prep ducks this weekend.)
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » July 31st, 2020, 9:57 am

A not so shocking new poll out.

Nearly two-thirds of Americans disapprove of President Donald Trump's handling of three major challenges facing the country -- the coronavirus pandemic, nationwide unrest over racial inequality and relations with Russia -- in a new ABC News/Ipsos poll, a sign of the obstacles that his reelection bid faces just three months before Election Day.
Also from that same story, they asked about Trump's handling of the ongoing protests.
https://www.yahoo.com/gma/trump-trouble ... ories.html
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » July 31st, 2020, 10:15 am

This is going to be fun.
Michael Cohen is free to speak to the media and write a tell-all book about President Donald Trump while under home confinement, according to an agreement he reached with federal authorities filed in court Thursday.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/mi ... li=BBnb7Kz

:-w :-w :-w
acymetric

Post by acymetric » July 31st, 2020, 10:36 am

OPK wrote:
July 31st, 2020, 7:33 am
ChatBot is the Deep State. Just so y’all know.

(A joke for those who have done the in-game chats during basketball season — it hates me and me only for some reason).
This is accurate. I always like to hop into the chat for gamedays when I can, but I usually forget there's an actual board (even though I think I registered years ago). I don't know how active I'll be in this thread, but thanks to CBB for starting and sharing it!
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » July 31st, 2020, 10:47 am

OPK wrote:
DJT has never joined our chat. He could test your theory.

gumbomoop
PWing as a hobby
PWing as a hobby

Post by gumbomoop » July 31st, 2020, 11:21 am

Trump is a fascist, ran a fascist-themed campaign in 2016. Those themes included (but were not limited to) the following: great nation in historical decline, national humiliation, fear of insidious Others (e.g., immigrants, Muslims), national rebirth project led by strongman-leader. For good reason, fascists and neo-Nazis think he’s one of them.

My opinion is rather less important that Steven Calabresi’s, co-founder of conservative Federalist Society, who voted for Trump in 2016 and opposed his impeachment. But today he says Trump’s tweet re delaying election is fascistic. He urges House to impeach him again and says Senate should remove him from office.

https://news.yahoo.com/federalist-socie ... bvTMe3K2zT
hml1959

Post by hml1959 » July 31st, 2020, 11:24 am

OPK wrote:

Even a broken clock is right twice a day...
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » July 31st, 2020, 11:25 am

gumbomoop wrote:
July 31st, 2020, 11:21 am
My opinion is rather less important that Steven Calabresi’s, co-founder of conservative Federalist Society, who voted for Trump in 2016 and opposed his impeachment. But today he says Trump’s tweet re delaying election is fascistic. He urges House to impeach him again and says Senate should remove him from office.
I've often said that if Trump wins re-election, he's going to be the first US President to be impeached twice. I don't know if the Senate would vote in favor the second go around, but I bet more than Romney would raise their hands in favor.
gumbomoop
PWing as a hobby
PWing as a hobby

Post by gumbomoop » July 31st, 2020, 11:40 am

Btw, I don’t think for a moment that the Dem House will follow the influential conservative Calabresi’s call for Trump’s immediate impeachment and removal. But I’m glad he and other actual, principled conservatives are speaking out. The Lincoln Project is not alone.

Of particular interest to me is whether it’s wise for Dems publicly to use the word “fascist.” Probably not, as it’s a controversial charge, even if accurate, and they can focus straightforwardly on Trump’s Covid-incompetence, instead. I do wonder whether some Dems will refer to Calabresi’s op-ed.
CrazyNotCrazie
Full Time Student at PWing school
Full Time Student at PWing school

Post by CrazyNotCrazie » July 31st, 2020, 11:48 am

Thanks for the invite - looking forward to joining the conversation. Though I am having an existential crisis as the basis of my user name CrazyNotCrazie is that there is no such word as Crazie, only Crazy, but I will make my way through that.

Touching on what some others have said, I think Trump needs to be held responsible for every word he says. Tweeting with question marks at the end or saying "people say" doesn't distance him from the comment. He is the leader of the free world (or I guess he is second in command now behind his boss Putin?). Words have meaning - he has to own them. His total disdain for and trashing of traditional norms of presidential behavior is what really gets me about him. Yet all of his enablers, who five years ago would have been calling for impeachment or the guillotine if Obama had done one of the many things that Trump has done, now defend him and come up with excuses. I'm glad to see the Federalist Society guy stand up, but that is not enough - let's see what he does when it is time to vote.