Post by CrazyNotCrazie » October 19th, 2020, 12:24 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
October 19th, 2020, 10:17 am
CrazyNotCrazie wrote:
October 19th, 2020, 9:20 am
October 19th, 2020, 8:46 am
Voted this morning! :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue:
Now that you know what to do, voting tomorrow should go much more smoothly for you :D

Perhaps I am a little slow, but I hadn't really focused on the fact that if you vote early, it will reduce the line on election day for others. So if that marginal voter (hopefully one who supports the same person you do) who might have been discouraged by very long lines sees a slightly shorter line, they might stick around and vote.

Early voting in NY starts next week so I am trying to strategize when it is best to go - likely mid-morning on a weekday, but not on the first day. The location is not too convenient for me but it could be a lot worse.
I'd guess that's true, but I'd still expect lines on election day to be much longer than other days. We showed up thirty minutes before the polls opened, there were only half a dozen or so in front of us. By the time we left, the line was winding around the parking lot. There will be more polling stations open on the 3rd than there are for early voting, so hopefully that will help.

Side note, we took a camping trip to rural Virginia this weekend. If you live in one of those counties and don't pay attention to polls, you are likely expecting a Trump landslide. Thousands of Trump signs/flags, everywhere. Of course, in those counties, there are only thousands of people. I did see a few Biden signs, which is a few more than I expected to see.
I agree - voting lines will still be a lot longer on election day than on early voting days. What I am saying is that all of the early voting will reduce the lines on election day. So if someone says "I don't care enough about the differences between the two candidates to wait in line for two hours to vote," they might be more willing to vote if the line is an hour or an hour and a half.

I am really hoping that there are sufficient polling stations and poll workers in the key states. A lot of people are understandably worried about sitting in a room for hours on end these days, so I don't know whether enough people have signed up to work the polls. Unfortunately, I think you are required to work the whole day in some or all places, which makes it hard - if there was an option to stay for 5-6 hours, I would have been happy to help. Or if it was legal for me to drive with a few people a few hours to Philadelphia and help out there, where the votes really matter, then I might have done it.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Trump Vs Biden --- The Election Thread

Post by CameronBornAndBred » October 19th, 2020, 3:05 pm

Biden's lead ain't shrinking.
With only two weeks left until Election Day, Joe Biden’s lead over President Trump has widened to 11 percentage points — Biden’s biggest margin among likely voters in any Yahoo News/YouGov poll to date.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/yahoo-news-y ... 44323.html

:violin:
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
CrazyNotCrazie
Full Time Student at PWing school

Post by CrazyNotCrazie » October 19th, 2020, 3:41 pm

Pardon my dumb question, but is the worst thing that Hunter Biden accused of doing any worse than the average day for Trump? Every day we are more and more seeing how dumb the people in this country are and how willing they are to believe anything that comes out of his propaganda machine. And as I have said a million times before, I wish he would spend more time doing things for the good of our country and less time creating drama.

I wish Biden's first act in office could be to shut down Fox News and all related entities. I am a very strong believer of freedom of the press but they are destroying this country.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » October 19th, 2020, 3:55 pm

CrazyNotCrazie wrote:
October 19th, 2020, 3:41 pm
I wish Biden's first act in office could be to shut down Fox News and all related entities. I am a very strong believer of freedom of the press but they are destroying this country.
I've long felt that the only way to restore sanity to this country would be to get rid of social media. That's impossible of course, but it is what happens when you give the power of "free speech" (which was really written in with the press in mind, not the every day American) to the people. That means all people, including the uneducated, the ignorant, and the easily persuaded (gullible). Those people specifically, given the power of "the share button", have fucked this country up really nicely.
dudog

Post by dudog » October 19th, 2020, 4:19 pm

October 19th, 2020, 3:55 pm
CrazyNotCrazie wrote:
October 19th, 2020, 3:41 pm
I've long felt that the only way to restore sanity to this country would be to get rid of social media. That's impossible of course, but it is what happens when you give the power of "free speech" (which was really written in with the press in mind, not the every day American) to the people. That means all people, including the uneducated, the ignorant, and the easily persuaded (gullible). Those people specifically, given the power of "the share button", have fucked this country up really nicely.
But Zuck has made some nice coin out of it.
OPK
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by OPK » October 19th, 2020, 10:59 pm

Looks like Matty hit his limit OY.

Hope he is not banned there. His post was harsh, but the post that provoked him was pretty insulting to anyone that is not a a Democrat to be honest. I don’t condone it — but I sure get it.

I’ll drink a beer for him, and hope he is around to do the same.

(and not meant as disrespect to the poster that provoked it — not sure he understands how insulting his post was to those that don’t agree with the view he stated.)
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » October 19th, 2020, 11:04 pm

OPK wrote:
October 19th, 2020, 10:59 pm

Hope he is not banned there. His post was harsh, but the post that provoked him was pretty insulting to anyone that is not a a Democrat to be honest. I don’t condone it — but I sure get it.

THAT
WAS
AWESOME!!!
And while I won't repost MM's words here, I did copy them in the .02 seconds that they stayed up. I invited him over, but then realized he's already been on CTN. Yes, it was harsh, but like you said what he replied to was insulting. He had an honest reply to an elitist outlook, one of which I often share in his detest as not being a Duke grad myself.
OPK

Post by OPK » October 19th, 2020, 11:20 pm

October 19th, 2020, 11:04 pm
OPK wrote:

THAT
WAS
AWESOME!!!
And while I won't repost MM's words here, I did copy them in the .02 seconds that they stayed up. I invited him over, but then realized he's already been on CTN. Yes, it was harsh, but like you said what he replied to was insulting. He had an honest reply to an elitist outlook, one of which I often share in his detest as not being a Duke grad myself.
I took a screen shot of it, not sure how to post it or if I should.

But as Neil Young said — it’s better to burn out than it is to rust. My my, hey hey . . . .
dudog

Post by dudog » October 19th, 2020, 11:51 pm

C'mon you two, stop teasing. Let's see it. :pray: (closest emoji I could find to pleeeze)
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » October 20th, 2020, 12:11 am

dudog wrote:
October 19th, 2020, 11:51 pm
C'mon you two, stop teasing. Let's see it. :pray: (closest emoji I could find to pleeeze)
PM'd you

To keep this thread on track, I'm beyond looking forward to Thursday night. Here's my guess.
Trump gets asked about COVID.
Trump replies...
"Hunter Biden
Hunter Biden
Hunter Biden
Hunter Biden"

And then Joe gets to answer his opening question.
CrazyNotCrazie

Post by CrazyNotCrazie » October 20th, 2020, 8:46 am

OPK wrote:

(and not meant as disrespect to the poster that provoked it — not sure he understands how insulting his post was to those that don’t agree with the view he stated.)
I personally found his response to be incredibly childish and nasty. Jason does the best he can. I know he periodically consults with other mods about how the boards are policed. He is far from perfect - I just had a private exchange with him about a week ago questioning some things. His post was based on statistical facts - highly educated people are more statistically likely to vote for Biden. You can't argue with that. That doesn't mean that those who don't vote for Biden are not intelligent (though sometimes I wonder...)

Mattman seems to have taken a disliking to me and has repeatedly been a complete jerk to me. There are plenty of ways to express your unhappiness without the scrotum references (I can curse with the best of them, so I am not being prissy about this). And the personal attack was uncalled for. He seems to have a major chip on his shoulder. I know he has a lot of friends and he definitely has had plenty of good posts, but that does not excuse this to me. Good riddance.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » October 20th, 2020, 10:11 am

This week in NC has been active on the campaign trail. Sunday, Biden was in Durham, today KH's hubby will be in Greenville, tomorrow Harris herself will be in Asheville (making up for a trip that got postponed due to her covid scare) and Ivanka will be in Raleigh.
I think it's weird how people show up to listen to surrogates speak. I kind of get it if it's Don Jr, because he's a traveling circus like his dad, but I don't see the appeal of listening to Ivanka or Mr. Harris.
OPK

Post by OPK » October 20th, 2020, 11:44 am

@CNC I certainly agree that Jason does a very good job with a difficult task, did not mean to imply otherwise.

Sorry you and Matty had friction.

Please, Lord, let us all make it through the next few months ....
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » October 20th, 2020, 12:39 pm

This is a great quote from an analysis on CNN.
Dating back to the primary and general election debates in the 2016 campaign, Trump's only real strategy appears to be interrupting with jabs -- usually personal -- against his opponent or opponents. His ability to stand and talk about issues for 120 seconds -- or stand and listen as his opponents talk for an uninterrupted two minutes -- is basically zero.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics ... li=BBnbfcL
dudog

Post by dudog » October 20th, 2020, 3:01 pm

Short Florida glimpse: About 260,000 votes were cast in my county in 2016. Through the first day of early voting, and with mail-ins, we're already at about 100,000. 13 more days of early voting, plus mail-ins delivered, I believe we'll beat the 2016 number here before election day.

Can't see how this is anything but bad news for Trump.
dudog

Post by dudog » October 20th, 2020, 3:17 pm

CrazyNotCrazie wrote:
October 20th, 2020, 8:46 am
OPK wrote:

I personally found his response to be incredibly childish and nasty. Jason does the best he can. I know he periodically consults with other mods about how the boards are policed. He is far from perfect - I just had a private exchange with him about a week ago questioning some things. His post was based on statistical facts - highly educated people are more statistically likely to vote for Biden. You can't argue with that. That doesn't mean that those who don't vote for Biden are not intelligent (though sometimes I wonder...)

Mattman seems to have taken a disliking to me and has repeatedly been a complete jerk to me. There are plenty of ways to express your unhappiness without the scrotum references (I can curse with the best of them, so I am not being prissy about this). And the personal attack was uncalled for. He seems to have a major chip on his shoulder. I know he has a lot of friends and he definitely has had plenty of good posts, but that does not excuse this to me. Good riddance.
Yeah, he certainly could have called out Jason's post in a reasonable way. But the unfortunate truth is, many Trump supporters are just not very nice people. Example on this board a while ago: A certain poster and I got into a bit of a profane back-and-forth and were called out on it. I immediately realized I had gotten out of my head and apologized in public to the other poster and the board. From the other side: crickets.

Re Jason, I got into him pretty hard about 9 months ago when he gave me a Cat4 infraction and ban for a post that linked and quoted a New York Times article on the environment and said that it probably wouldn't "move the needle". So not a lot of love lost. But I left my scrotum out of it.
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » October 20th, 2020, 3:18 pm

dudog wrote:
October 20th, 2020, 3:01 pm
Short Florida glimpse: About 260,000 votes were cast in my county in 2016. Through the first day of early voting, and with mail-ins, we're already at about 100,000. 13 more days of early voting, plus mail-ins delivered, I believe we'll beat the 2016 number here before election day.

Can't see how this is anything but bad news for Trump.
I am in Pinellas county - with less than two full days of early voting and two weeks of mail in (with limitted drop off locations) turnout stands at 30%
201,000 mail in - 13,986 early. that is as of 3 pm. These numbers are insane. Turnout in 2016 was 77% - there are 66k more registered voters than in 2016 - this is a big number considering this county is geographically small and heavily developed.

Wait times for early voting have been quite reasonable (under 30 minutes at all locations right now)
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
Furniture
Part Time Student at PWing school
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by Furniture » October 20th, 2020, 4:47 pm

October 20th, 2020, 12:11 am
dudog wrote:
October 19th, 2020, 11:51 pm
PM'd you

To keep this thread on track, I'm beyond looking forward to Thursday night. Here's my guess.
Trump gets asked about COVID.
Trump replies...
"Hunter Biden
Hunter Biden
Hunter Biden
Hunter Biden"

And then Joe gets to answer his opening question.
I will record it and based on the reviews after I may watch it.
If anyone ever tells you they are a stable genius. Get the hell out of there.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » October 20th, 2020, 4:52 pm

Pundits are postulating (terrible band name) that Trump is going to literally be shouting over his muted mic. (Another terrible band name) I will be mildly surprised if they are not correct.
I fully expect Trump to turn his last hope at impressing America into a total shitshow, eclipsing the first one magnificently.
Phredd3

Post by Phredd3 » October 20th, 2020, 5:05 pm

October 20th, 2020, 4:52 pm
Pundits are postulating (terrible band name) that Trump is going to literally be shouting over his muted mic.
If I were Biden, I would prepare for that. I would bring one of the foam earplugs, and if he pulls something like that, I would make a big show of ostentatiously rolling it up and inserting it into only the ear facing Trump, and then carrying on (to the extent it is possible) as if he were not in the room. If it's not possible for him to ignore something like that, I would plug both ears during my "uninterrupted" time and just listen to the sound of my own talking.