Kara Lawson - New DWBB Head Coach

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Kara Lawson - New DWBB Head Coach

Post by CameronBornAndBred » July 11th, 2020, 12:46 pm

She has accepted. Not my favorite hire, but I'll support her and wish her the best. Hopefully she can lead us back to being an elite program.

https://www.boston.com/sports/boston-ce ... -coach-job
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
gadzooks
Part Time Student at PWing school
Part Time Student at PWing school

Re: Kara Lawson - New DWBB Head Coach

Post by gadzooks » July 11th, 2020, 2:53 pm

I like this hire. Obviously, there's a concern about her lack of coaching experience, but she's really smart, so I think she'll do well. Welcome to Duke, Coach Lawson! :duke:
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » July 11th, 2020, 6:36 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
July 11th, 2020, 12:46 pm
She has accepted. Not my favorite hire, but I'll support her and wish her the best. Hopefully she can lead us back to being an elite program.

https://www.boston.com/sports/boston-ce ... -coach-job
That’s where I am. Seem to remember being frequently annoyed by her seemingly anti-Duke comments when she was on ESPN (unless I’m thinking of someone else). She’s the coach now, though, so I’m willing to give her a chance. :9f:
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » July 13th, 2020, 8:01 am

Have you heard Gene Banks’ podcast? He’s livid that Lindsay Harding wasn’t hired. :9f:
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » July 13th, 2020, 12:00 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
July 13th, 2020, 8:01 am
Have you heard Gene Banks’ podcast? He’s livid that Lindsay Harding wasn’t hired. :9f:
Apparently she wasn't even considered. And from this article, it looks like Lawson was likely in consideration for a while.
Lawson had her eye on this particular opportunity for a while. Joanne P. McCallie came into this past season without an extension, making it clear Duke was about to move in a different direction.
“We actually went on a walk – Kara, Tracy and I – a couple of months ago,” Brad Stevens said. “And we were talking about what she’d be interested in the future, and being the head coach at Duke was one of the things that came up. So it’s really cool that she’s getting a chance to do that. She’ll be terrific.”
https://www.masslive.com/celtics/2020/0 ... e-her.html
awhom111
Full Time Student at PWing school
Full Time Student at PWing school

Post by awhom111 » July 14th, 2020, 12:54 am

A few people had suggest that we hire Trisha Stafford-Odom. I wish one of them had posted on a message board so CB&B could have made his opinion on that idea clear.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » July 14th, 2020, 1:28 am

awhom111 wrote:
July 14th, 2020, 12:54 am
A few people had suggest that we hire Trisha Stafford-Odom. I wish one of them had posted on a message board so CB&B could have made his opinion on that idea clear.
Yeah...big fat fuck that.
X( X( X( :9f: :9f:
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » July 14th, 2020, 1:31 am

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
July 13th, 2020, 12:00 pm
OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
July 13th, 2020, 8:01 am
Apparently she wasn't even considered. And from this article, it looks like Lawson was likely in consideration for a while.
Lawson had her eye on this particular opportunity for a while. Joanne P. McCallie came into this past season without an extension, making it clear Duke was about to move in a different direction.
“We actually went on a walk – Kara, Tracy and I – a couple of months ago,” Brad Stevens said. “And we were talking about what she’d be interested in the future, and being the head coach at Duke was one of the things that came up. So it’s really cool that she’s getting a chance to do that. She’ll be terrific.”
https://www.masslive.com/celtics/2020/0 ... e-her.html
According to the presser today introducing Lawson, Harding was considered. Obviously not chosen, but it's nice to see that she got a look. I would not have been as thrilled as others. I have tons of respect for her, but like Lawson, she doesn't have the experience. And unlike Lawson, she has a Duke history to protect.