Hurricane Florence

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

Bob Green
PWing School Endowed Professor

Hurricane Florence

Post by Bob Green » September 9th, 2018, 11:12 am

Here are links to National Hurricane Center resources as Hurricane Florence is projected to make landfall on NC coast Thursday:

https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/

https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphi ... 0#contents

https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphi ... 4#contents

https://cdn.star.nesdis.noaa.gov/GOES16 ... 00x540.jpg
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Hurricane Florence

Post by CameronBornAndBred » September 9th, 2018, 4:16 pm

Been spending all weekend here in New Bern with prep. :(
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
IowaDevil
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by IowaDevil » September 9th, 2018, 5:48 pm

Everyone be prepared and stay safe! :ymhug:
:happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f:
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » September 10th, 2018, 1:50 pm

:wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard:

Sending Vibes from the Irma zone - hope the water stays out, the roof stays on and your lights stay lit.

Be careful - be smart - be safe!
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » September 10th, 2018, 3:47 pm

We are as prepared as we can be. I'm not going to get a generator. I'm counting on the fact that the mayor, a city council representative, and our state senator live in my subdivision, and that our power will be turned back on quickly.

Sam's "new" apartment is within sight of the police and fire station, and since he's located on a state-maintained thoroughfare, I anticipate that he might not lose power at all.

I'm worried about Mom's house. Although she is in the same neighborhood that we are in, her lot is very wooded. Keep your fingers crossed that trees don't fall on her roof (or on ours, either).

:9f:
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
DukieInKansas
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » September 10th, 2018, 4:29 pm

Prayers and vibes for everyone in the path of Florence.
Life is good!
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » September 10th, 2018, 6:59 pm

Praying everyone in harms way stays safe.
DukePA

Post by DukePA » September 10th, 2018, 7:29 pm

We're going to pack the outdoor stuff into the garage and house then evacuate to VDB's Wednesday. Oy. This one is worrisome. Stay dry, everyone!
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » September 10th, 2018, 10:56 pm

DukePA wrote:We're going to pack the outdoor stuff into the garage and house then evacuate to VDB's Wednesday. Oy. This one is worrisome. Stay dry, everyone!
DPA, that’s a really good decision! Grab Chris and Julie on your way through New Bern! :9f:
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » September 10th, 2018, 11:12 pm

CathyCA wrote:We are as prepared as we can be. I'm not going to get a generator. I'm counting on the fact that the mayor, a city council representative, and our state senator live in my subdivision, and that our power will be turned back on quickly.

You sound like Julie. "The guy down the street says our building always gets power back within 2 days".
None of us have been through a storm of this magnitude. At least not in our adult lifetime. For what it's worth, a friend of my stepdad that works in organizing the repair crews said they are planning on power being out for three weeks, which is along the lines of how Fran was.
The storm won't care who lives in your neighborhood. Crews will be spread thin, unlike smaller storms when more people were able to work on a smaller area.
Regardless, plan well and stay safe.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » September 11th, 2018, 9:07 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
CathyCA wrote:We are as prepared as we can be. I'm not going to get a generator. I'm counting on the fact that the mayor, a city council representative, and our state senator live in my subdivision, and that our power will be turned back on quickly.

You sound like Julie. "The guy down the street says our building always gets power back within 2 days".
None of us have been through a storm of this magnitude. At least not in our adult lifetime. For what it's worth, a friend of my stepdad that works in organizing the repair crews said they are planning on power being out for three weeks, which is along the lines of how Fran was.
The storm won't care who lives in your neighborhood. Crews will be spread thin, unlike smaller storms when more people were able to work on a smaller area.
Regardless, plan well and stay safe.
I bought some contractor grade trash bags and I have duct tape. I'm prepared for leaks or for clean-up after the storm. Jon found a hand-cranked lantern, so we'll have light. We have lots of bottled water, apples, grapes and oranges, peanut butter and crackers, crackers, almonds, and cereal.

I'm still counting on my neighbor, the mayor, to have power turned back on in our neighborhood quickly. ;)

“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » September 12th, 2018, 11:39 am

Mom was evacuated from Chesapeake yesterday morning. She and her friend Gayle went to Gayle’s sister’s house in the eastern part of Varnish County.

It would work out well for me to get her, except...we are at MIL’s house in Tacoma, Washington. Supposed to fly back Tuesday, weather permitting.

Y’all, please be careful.
Iron Duke #1471997.
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » September 12th, 2018, 5:12 pm

lawgrad91 wrote:...we are at MIL’s house in Tacoma, Washington.
Talk about "getting out of Dodge"! Smart plan! :9f:
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » September 13th, 2018, 8:04 am

I bought baby wipes foe hand cleaning. One pack each in the bathrooms and one for the kitchen. We have plenty of water. I have planned meals for 5 days. I'm glad my cook top is gas. The storm has weakened to a category 2. Fingerless crossed.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » September 16th, 2018, 7:39 am

Dropping by to check in on my friends in the path of Florence. Please stay safe, everyone! The renewed rains this morning don’t sound good at all. It’s giving me Harvey flashbacks. :wizard: :wizard: :wizard:
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
Ima Facultiwyfe
PWing School Professor

Post by Ima Facultiwyfe » September 16th, 2018, 9:56 am

Terrific news that you were all prepared and safe. But I wish CB&B would check in early and often!!!! And I hope everybody had access to a TV and could watch the Devils whup up on the Bears! The Dump on the Hump has gotten nothin' but drizzle so far. It would take a lot more water to wash this place clean.
Love, Ima
"We will never NEVER go away." -- D. Cutcliffe
Devil in the Blue Dress
Graduate Student at PWing school
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by Devil in the Blue Dress » September 16th, 2018, 11:34 am

I'm safe and so are my sweet little dogs. ;;)
The flooding around where I live is overwhelming... and the rain continues to fall. The electric co-op which serves the area has begun to restore power, but is now awaiting Duke Energy restoring their network which is the co-op's source of electricity. DOT's commentary on which roads are clear suggests that it may be at least the end of the month before roads in our area are safe. :-s
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » September 16th, 2018, 12:51 pm

Ima Facultiwyfe wrote:Terrific news that you were all prepared and safe. But I wish CB&B would check in early and often!!!! And I hope everybody had access to a TV and could watch the Devils whup up on the Bears! The Dump on the Hump has gotten nothin' but drizzle so far. It would take a lot more water to wash this place clean.
Love, Ima
I had no internet, and still don't at home. (Modem got cooked, I think.) But I have it at the gallery. We have power at both home and the Church today. Neither flooded, but there is lots of water in the crawl space at home. Not all of our neighbors were so lucky, and even further towards downtown some have lost so much.
We are both very thankful and feeling lucky to have come out of the storm so well. Thanks to all that messaged and texted during and after the storm.
Time to clean up and get back to living life as we are used to. :ymhug:
IowaDevil

Post by IowaDevil » September 17th, 2018, 11:56 am

Thankful to hear from all who are ok. Clean up is nasty but has to be done! Hugs to all! :ymhug:
:happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f: