Off Season Discussion

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

Bob Green
PWing School Endowed Professor

Off Season Discussion

Post by Bob Green » January 27th, 2018, 8:52 am

Speculation on the web suggests Jim Knowles is the leading candidate to be the next defensive coordinator at Oklahoma State. This seems to me to be an excellent opportunity to start an off season general discussion thread.

If Knowles leaves Duke, I hope we respond by:

1. Promote Ben Albert to defensive coordinator and have him maintain responsibility for coaching the defensive line.
2. Hire a new linebackers coach (Knowles coached the linebackers in addition to being DC).
3. Abandon the 4-2-5 and revert to playing a 4-3-4 defense. With the talent and depth we have at linebacker and along the defensive line, I believe it is time for a change.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Off Season Discussion

Post by CameronBornAndBred » January 28th, 2018, 11:45 am

I'm up for a change in defense as long as it doesn't lend towards a learning curve season. In 2017, D was for the most part the only dependable bright spot. Of course it could have been improved, but there's no question that the product on the field was an asset to the team.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
Bob Green

Post by Bob Green » January 30th, 2018, 4:51 am

Oklahoma State has hired Jim Knowles:

https://twitter.com/BruceFeldmanCFB/sta ... 0761090048
Devil in the Blue Dress
Graduate Student at PWing school
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by Devil in the Blue Dress » January 30th, 2018, 2:58 pm

The picture of Coach Knowles has been removed from the coaches' page on goduke.com. Coach Albert's picture has moved up. His title (Associate Defensive Coordinator) remains unchanged. ;;)
Bob Green

Post by Bob Green » February 16th, 2018, 4:08 pm

Coach Cutcliffe announces staff changes:

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml? ... EM_ID=4200

New linebackers coach Lanier Goethie:

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml? ... =211700828
Bob Green

Post by Bob Green » February 19th, 2018, 12:57 pm

Football Tickets On Sale:

http://www.goduke.com/pdf9/5467751.pdf

Prices are cheaper if you buy early (before 5 pm on 4/13).
Bob Green

Post by Bob Green » March 29th, 2018, 4:58 am

Freshman OT Patrick Leitten is out indefinitely after suffering a left knee injury on Monday. He will undergo surgery. Duke is thin at OT.
Bob Green

Post by Bob Green » April 14th, 2018, 8:29 pm

I saw nothing today that alleviates my concerns with the kicking game. Jackson Hubbard did the punting and he was average at best, below average is probably a more accurate assessment, plus he fumbled a snap, which would have been a turnover in a real game.

Colin Wareham and A.J. Reed handled the extra points and field goals. Both guys made multiple field goals during the scrimmage but Wareham missed an extra point. During kicking drills, prior to the scrimmage, Wareham was 5 of 5 on FGs and Reed was 4 of 5 missing one wide right.

Daniel Jones looked good at quarterback. He led the team on a 75 yard drive which culminated in a TD pass to Tight End Noah Gray. Jones also threw a very nice fade pass for a TD to T.J. Rahming. The play started on about the 8 yard line. He completed multiple passes to tight ends over the middle at various points during the scrimmage.

I was not impressed with any of the back-ups. Quentin Harris remains inaccurate. Chris Katrenick appears to be a decent passer but he was sacked multiple times (all QBs were wearing "do not tackle" Green Jerseys so play was called dead when defensive players touched the QB).

The defense looked good. Mason Williams and Josh Blackwell saw a lot of action at cornerback. In red zone drills, before the scrimmage, I thought the cornerbacks got the best of the wide receivers. Williams is a physical player who likes to crowd the receiver.

Defensive line looked very solid controlling the line of scrimmage on running plays.

There were no long runs by the offense. Brittain Brown had some nice 7 to 8 yard runs and Deon Jackson ran strong including a touchdown run of 1 or 2 yards. Marvin Hubbard looks quick but he never broke free so I don't know about breakaway speed. Hubbard took a pitch outside for a nice 9 yard gain but he also fumbled on an inside run in the Red Zone.

T.J. Rahming fielded punts during the scrimmage. In pre-scrimmage drills, there were multiple guys fielding punts: Keyston Fuller, Josh Blackwell, Myles Hudzick. Josh Blackwell has great hands fielding punts.

Kick-off return duties were shared by Brittain Brown, Marquis Waters and Michael Carter. This was all during drills, no kick-offs in the scrimmage.

Receivers Chris Taylor and Aaron Young did not participate. T.J. Rahming, Johnathan Lloyd and Scott Bracey were the first group receivers. The TD pass to Rahming is the only thing that sticks out as a significant play by the wide receivers. I believe Bracey caught one pass but most completions went to TE or RB. Deon Jackson had a nice catch and run on a bubble screen.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » April 15th, 2018, 8:40 am

Bob Green wrote: I was not impressed with any of the back-ups. Quentin Harris remains inaccurate. Chris Katrenick appears to be a decent passer but he was sacked multiple times (all QBs were wearing "do not tackle" Green Jerseys so play was called dead when defensive players touched the QB).
Did Holmberg participate?
Bob Green

Post by Bob Green » April 16th, 2018, 4:54 am

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
Bob Green wrote: I was not impressed with any of the back-ups. Quentin Harris remains inaccurate. Chris Katrenick appears to be a decent passer but he was sacked multiple times (all QBs were wearing "do not tackle" Green Jerseys so play was called dead when defensive players touched the QB).
Yes. He saw some limited snaps.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » April 16th, 2018, 10:23 am

Bob Green wrote:
Yes. He saw some limited snaps.
That doesn't sound very promising; unless of course we are expecting to redshirt him. Knowing that our backups sucked so much last year that they didn't get in even with Jones hurt, I'd rather take a chance on a new guy.
Bob Green

Post by Bob Green » April 16th, 2018, 3:19 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:That doesn't sound very promising; unless of course we are expecting to redshirt him. Knowing that our backups sucked so much last year that they didn't get in even with Jones hurt, I'd rather take a chance on a new guy.
I'm quite certain he will redshirt with Harris and Katrenick as the back-up options.
Bob Green

Post by Bob Green » May 3rd, 2018, 5:45 pm

Post spring practice depth chart:

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml? ... =211714376

I'm going to go on record here and now - Deon Jackson will have a big year. He is 2nd in the RB rotation and 1st in the Kick Returner rotation. I expected a lot from him as a true freshman but it did not materialize. With a year in the system under his belt, and being recognized as one of two Most Improved Offensive Players during Spring Practice, he is going to be a huge factor in 2018. Jackson and Brittain Brown should be a dynamic duo at running back.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » May 4th, 2018, 11:30 am

Bob Green wrote: He is 2nd in the RB rotation and 1st in the Kick Returner rotation.
Are we going to see any returns besides from punts?
Bob Green

Post by Bob Green » May 4th, 2018, 5:20 pm

Bob Green wrote: He is 2nd in the RB rotation and 1st in the Kick Returner rotation.
One kick return opportunity a game is almost a guarantee - opponent could onsides kick - but I'm all in on another 1938 type season (except I desire to win the bowl game).
Bob Green

Post by Bob Green » May 4th, 2018, 5:23 pm

Okay, your post went over my head at first. In regard to the new kick-off rule, I don't believe it will make much difference. Football players desire to play football and return men desire to catch the kick and run. The kick returner is going to run with the ball because in his mind he will make it further than the 25 yard line.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » May 16th, 2018, 11:47 am

Whew. Maybe our kicking game won't be totally questionable after all. (Emphasis on totally.)

#:-s #:-s
Bob Green

Post by Bob Green » May 23rd, 2018, 5:28 pm

Athlon All ACC Team:

1st Team: Mark Gilbert, Joe Giles-Harris
2nd Team:
3rd Team: Brittain Brown, Daniel Helm
4th Team: T.J. Rahming, Zach Harmon, Victor Dimukeje, Austin Parker
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » May 24th, 2018, 10:33 am

Bob Green wrote:Athlon All ACC Team:

1st Team: Mark Gilbert, Joe Giles-Harris
2nd Team:
3rd Team: Brittain Brown, Daniel Helm
4th Team: T.J. Rahming, Zach Harmon, Victor Dimukeje, Austin Parker
Austin Parker? So there are basically only three kickers in the ACC? :9f:
Iron Duke #1471997.
Bob Green

Post by Bob Green » May 30th, 2018, 3:21 pm

Duke in the running for Clemson transfer QB Hunter Johnson:

https://247sports.com/Article/Duke-foot ... -118601553
Johnson ranked as the nation's No. 2 pro-style passer and 30th overall player in the 247Sports Composite during the 2017 cycle. Johnson must sit out next season due to NCAA transfer rules. He will be eligible starting in 2019 with three years of eligibility remaining.
Purdue and Northwestern are the other known schools in the mix.