I need health advice for my wife...

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

bjornolf
PWing School Professor

I need health advice for my wife...

Post by bjornolf » January 12th, 2018, 2:40 pm

There are a lot of smart folks on here. Thought maybe you could help. My wife has had a cough and a low grade fever (99.9-101.1) and general malaise since Thanksgiving. She's seen the doctor twice now. Run tests and stuff. They have no clue what's wrong with her. Any ideas? Anybody been through this?
Thanks.
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
DukePA
PWing School Associate Professor

Re: I need health advice for my wife...

Post by DukePA » January 12th, 2018, 4:27 pm

sinus infection?
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » January 12th, 2018, 5:30 pm

For two months? They gave her zithromax.
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » January 12th, 2018, 6:27 pm

Lyme disease? It’s almost always misdiagnosed after months of suffering by the patient. Ask about it.
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
Bob Green
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by Bob Green » January 13th, 2018, 7:13 am

In 1985, I ran a fever with night sweats and had zero energy for months and ended up spending a week in the hospital. Final diagnosis was mononucleosis even though I tested negative on multiple mono spots. The doctors said the only cure was total rest and time.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » January 13th, 2018, 8:36 am

I have a client who runs a "clinic of last resort" for people with undiagnosed diseases.

Have you thought about taking your wife to a physician who focuses on undiagnosed diseases?

:9f:
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
DukePA

Post by DukePA » January 13th, 2018, 2:22 pm

Zithromax is as effective as bath water. Regardless, as Bob said, mono is worth ruling out. My nephew, Max, had the most severe case of mono I have ever seen and it took more than a month for the test to come back positive.
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » January 24th, 2018, 8:12 pm

So, the cough is mostly gone but she still has the fever. Since Thanksgiving. So, they’re telling her that her fever is a naturally higher temperature. I have seven years of daily basal temperature data showing her normal temp is around 98.9, NOT 100.4-101.2! They finally did a urinalysis. Saw it. Says right on it “bacteria positive” but they’re telling her it’s nothing to worry about.

Can someone explain to me how low grade fever plus bacteria in the urine does NOT equal UTI???
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 24th, 2018, 10:06 pm

bjornolf wrote:So, the cough is mostly gone but she still has the fever. Since Thanksgiving. So, they’re telling her that her fever is a naturally higher temperature. I have seven years of daily basal temperature data showing her normal temp is around 98.9, NOT 100.4-101.2! They finally did a urinalysis. Saw it. Says right on it “bacteria positive” but they’re telling her it’s nothing to worry about.

Can someone explain to me how low grade fever plus bacteria in the urine does NOT equal UTI???
That makes no sense at all. Even my dumb cardiology brain can look at a urinalysis report and process the following: WBC (few or many) + bacteria + (usually) leukocyte esterase positive and conclude UTI.
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » January 24th, 2018, 11:01 pm

WBC was few, leukocyte was negative, yeast was few, bacteria was positive.
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
DukePA

Post by DukePA » January 25th, 2018, 3:16 pm

bjornolf wrote:WBC was few, leukocyte was negative, yeast was few, bacteria was positive.
I would leave that practice and find one where people take the evidence of a UTI seriously. I have to wonder if she now has a kidney infection.
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » January 25th, 2018, 3:50 pm

She did have some lower back pain a couple days ago but chalked it up to sleeping on it wrong since it went away the next day. However, when I pushed on the area and twisted a little during the pain, it didn’t seem to affect it for the worse or the better, which I think would be the case if it were a muscle or alignment issue.
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Ima Facultiwyfe
PWing School Professor

Post by Ima Facultiwyfe » January 26th, 2018, 6:27 pm

So sorry to hear you haven't found a complete solution. But it does sound like you've made headway. I'm assuming that the type of bacteria in the urine sample was one that is standard. Surely if she has had a UTI this long she'd know it -- believe me.

We know how frustrating and frightening it can be to not be able to find solutions. As we speak, Rah (who just spent another three weeks in the hospital) is teetering on the edge of going back to the ER. We've been fighting these returning infections for ten years now. Hard to believe, isn't it. Each time there is an episode, she ends up weaker and sicker to fight the next one. I credit CTN as a major player in helping me stay sane. I know you appreciate all the caring and support around here, too. Wishing you good, strong vibes going forward.

Love, Ima
"We will never NEVER go away." -- D. Cutcliffe
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » January 30th, 2018, 9:05 pm

Ima Facultiwyfe wrote:So sorry to hear you haven't found a complete solution. But it does sound like you've made headway. I'm assuming that the type of bacteria in the urine sample was one that is standard. Surely if she has had a UTI this long she'd know it -- believe me.

We know how frustrating and frightening it can be to not be able to find solutions. As we speak, Rah (who just spent another three weeks in the hospital) is teetering on the edge of going back to the ER. We've been fighting these returning infections for ten years now. Hard to believe, isn't it. Each time there is an episode, she ends up weaker and sicker to fight the next one. I credit CTN as a major player in helping me stay sane. I know you appreciate all the caring and support around here, too. Wishing you good, strong vibes going forward.

Love, Ima
:( :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :YMPRAY: :YMPRAY: :YMPRAY: :ymhug:
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein