Let it Snow

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

Bob Green
PWing School Endowed Professor

Let it Snow

Post by Bob Green » January 3rd, 2018, 9:29 pm

The snow has started falling outside. The weather report calls for an accumulation of between 5" - 8" overnight. I am not going to work tomorrow as the roads will be a nightmare.
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Let it Snow

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » January 3rd, 2018, 10:30 pm

Wasn’t supposed to snow in Greensboro today, but when we got out of our tennis clinic at 7:30 there was more than a dusting on the cars and ground! It had already stopped but we got some! LGD GTHc!
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 3rd, 2018, 10:37 pm

Wake County (Raleigh) forecast is for less than an inch of snow. So, what does the school system do? Yep, cancels school tomorrow. Un-freaking-believable.
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » January 4th, 2018, 2:42 am

I just got back from walking around the neighborhood with my camera. (At 2:30am). At 10pm, we still had rain, just changing to sleet; there is about 5" of white stuff on ground now. (And windy!)
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
Bob Green
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by Bob Green » January 4th, 2018, 2:18 pm

It has stopped snowing but there is a significant amount on the ground and temperatures will remain below freezing for the next couple days so what we got isn't going anywhere soon.
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » January 4th, 2018, 5:17 pm

We only got around 1 1/2 inches but its so cold, the roads are bad. I had Bud take some of the soup I'm made to our neighbour who lives by herself. He used the ATV. No problem.
Devil in the Blue Dress
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by Devil in the Blue Dress » January 4th, 2018, 9:33 pm

devildeac wrote:Wake County (Raleigh) forecast is for less than an inch of snow. So, what does the school system do? Yep, cancels school tomorrow. Un-freaking-believable.
It's been only a couple of weeks since there was a fast developing snow storm that made quite a mess for schools and commuters on a Friday afternoon. What would you have decided to do given the cold temperatures (some schools had no power)? ;;)
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » January 5th, 2018, 10:06 am

Devil in the Blue Dress wrote:
devildeac wrote:Wake County (Raleigh) forecast is for less than an inch of snow. So, what does the school system do? Yep, cancels school tomorrow. Un-freaking-believable.
It's been only a couple of weeks since there was a fast developing snow storm that made quite a mess for schools and commuters on a Friday afternoon. What would you have decided to do given the cold temperatures (some schools had no power)? ;;)
I don't know that NC has a similar rule, but in VA schools are mandated to start after Labor Day unless they average using 10 snow days or more in 5 of every 10 years. The local schools want to start early, so they often take snow days on days that it doesn't snow, to get their numbers up. :9f:
Iron Duke #1471997.
Devil in the Blue Dress

Post by Devil in the Blue Dress » January 5th, 2018, 3:11 pm

lawgrad91 wrote:
Devil in the Blue Dress wrote:
I don't know that NC has a similar rule, but in VA schools are mandated to start after Labor Day unless they average using 10 snow days or more in 5 of every 10 years. The local schools want to start early, so they often take snow days on days that it doesn't snow, to get their numbers up. :9f:
As far as I know, NC doesn't have any rules like that. My point is that there is more to the decision to close or delay school than may appear. The bigger the county with a mix of urban and rural areas, the harder it can be to make that decision while weighing varied situations across the district. Weather can be unpredictable despite technology available to help know what conditions will be. It's not just whether it's safe for the buses to be out, there's also the matter of numerous inexperienced high school drivers who would be on the roads. This sort of decision is one of the hardest for school administrators to make. No matter what the decision is, many will be unhappy.... whether they have children in the schools or not.