Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Re: AD's big announcement

Post by ArkieDukie » March 17th, 2017, 8:29 am

I'm moving back to St. Louis next month! :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue:

In mid-January (the Thursday before MLK Day, to be exact), I received a phone call from BGS - who, as you may recall, is now a postdoc at Wash U. She had just come out of a meeting, and my name had come up with regard to an open position. She told me what I needed to know, and I looked it up online. The next day, I wrote a nice cover letter via email, mentioning my former boss by name, and sent it via email, along with a copy of my CV. On Monday, MKL Day, just as I was thinking in needed to give my former boss a heads-up, I got a phone call from my former boss. He had just gotten off the phone with the person who was hiring. Apparently recommended me very highly for the position. The next day I got a phone call from the person who was hiring, with an invitation to come to St. Louis for a job interview. The interview was in early February. The offer letter finally came a couple of days ago. I was offered a promotion to a research-track faculty position with all sorts of nice bells and whistles. One other thing: the person who hired me is a member of the National Academy of Sciences. My last day in my current position is March 31. :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue:

The timing couldn't be better. My current institution is having some pretty severe financial problems, and (IMO) it has some issues with corruption at fairly high levels. Every few months, I receive an email notifying me that a certain percentage of my salary is going away and I need to come up with funds to cover it. The last of these missives came on the Monday before Christmas. I was supposed to find funds to cover 40% of my salary before the end of the month. The institution was closed the week after Christmas, and most everyone I needed to talk to was already out of town for the holidays. The final straw came after RR's resignation, when I found out that I was going to be taking over her instrument to run "departmental projects" on her instrument. Translation: become a technician for The Boss and WEC. My response was to move up the date of the Wash U interview.

The top responses from my colleagues are as follows:
"Are your bags packed? Mine sure would be!"
"Can you take me with you?"
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
IowaDevil
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by IowaDevil » March 17th, 2017, 9:33 am

Big time congratulations! :ymhug:
:happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f:
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » March 17th, 2017, 10:06 am

Hooray, AD! Congratulations!!!!!!!!!
Iron Duke #1471997.
DukieInKansas
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » March 17th, 2017, 10:14 am

Congratulations!
Life is good!
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » March 17th, 2017, 11:41 am

ArkieDukie wrote:I'm moving back to St. Louis next month! :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue:

In mid-January (the Thursday before MLK Day, to be exact), I received a phone call from BGS - who, as you may recall, is now a postdoc at Wash U. She had just come out of a meeting, and my name had come up with regard to an open position. She told me what I needed to know, and I looked it up online. The next day, I wrote a nice cover letter via email, mentioning my former boss by name, and sent it via email, along with a copy of my CV. On Monday, MKL Day, just as I was thinking in needed to give my former boss a heads-up, I got a phone call from my former boss. He had just gotten off the phone with the person who was hiring. Apparently recommended me very highly for the position. The next day I got a phone call from the person who was hiring, with an invitation to come to St. Louis for a job interview. The interview was in early February. The offer letter finally came a couple of days ago. I was offered a promotion to a research-track faculty position with all sorts of nice bells and whistles. One other thing: the person who hired me is a member of the National Academy of Sciences. My last day in my current position is March 31. :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue:

The timing couldn't be better. My current institution is having some pretty severe financial problems, and (IMO) it has some issues with corruption at fairly high levels. Every few months, I receive an email notifying me that a certain percentage of my salary is going away and I need to come up with funds to cover it. The last of these missives came on the Monday before Christmas. I was supposed to find funds to cover 40% of my salary before the end of the month. The institution was closed the week after Christmas, and most everyone I needed to talk to was already out of town for the holidays. The final straw came after RR's resignation, when I found out that I was going to be taking over her instrument to run "departmental projects" on her instrument. Translation: become a technician for The Boss and WEC. My response was to move up the date of the Wash U interview.

The top responses from my colleagues are as follows:
"Are your bags packed? Mine sure would be!"
"Can you take me with you?"

I have been 'in the loop' since the beginning, and I can not tell you how happy and relieved I am this has come through! Turns out NOT being able to buy that house was good thing. Shit happens for a reason.

:Angry Orc: :Angry Orc: :Angry Orc: to your current gig before the :poo: :hits the fan: bid WEC a fond farewell :violence-smack: , prepare for your exit interview :angry-cussingblack: :angry-screaming: :obscene-moneypiss: and :auto-camptrailer: :happy-cheerleaderkid:

This is one of those moments when you need to decide which bridges to cross and which bridges to burn -
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
YmoBeThere

Post by YmoBeThere » March 17th, 2017, 11:59 am

Congrats!
DukePA

Post by DukePA » March 17th, 2017, 12:23 pm

I am so, so proud of you and happy for you, AD, Sis!!! You stuck to your guns, always maintained your integrity and have reached out for advice when you needed it. Thank you for taking us along for the ride! I am inspired! Much love and many hugs ((( :romance-heartstiny: )))
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » March 17th, 2017, 12:35 pm

Congrats AD! :happy-bouncyblue: :D B-) Just wish the position was at Duke. :duke: :9f:
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
Ima Facultiwyfe
PWing School Professor

Post by Ima Facultiwyfe » March 17th, 2017, 1:57 pm

So jealous, AD. Love, love, love St. Louis! Go for a Cardinals game, a walk in Forest Park, and get a grrrreat Italian meal for me!
Love, Ima
PS ...and thank SOMEbody for sending us Tatum!!!!
"We will never NEVER go away." -- D. Cutcliffe
DukieInKansas
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » March 17th, 2017, 9:43 pm

Ima Facultiwyfe wrote:So jealous, AD. Love, love, love St. Louis! Go for a Cardinals game, a walk in Forest Park, and get a grrrreat Italian meal for me!
Love, Ima
PS ...and thank SOMEbody for sending us Tatum!!!!

I'll pass that info on - son of one of my clients went to the same high school.
Life is good!
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » March 18th, 2017, 9:58 am

I am very happy for you, AD!

:9f:
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
DukePA

Post by DukePA » March 18th, 2017, 11:03 am

I am looking forward to you getting back into the Botanical Garden with you camera, AD :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue:
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » March 18th, 2017, 12:50 pm

Thanks, everyone! I'm excited to be moving back. First order of business will be finding a house.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » March 18th, 2017, 9:33 pm

Im so happy for you. It's been a long time coming..