2015 Schedule and Discussion

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

DevilWearsPrada2.0
PWing School Professor

Re: 2015 Schedule and Discussion

Post by DevilWearsPrada2.0 » July 31st, 2015, 8:58 am

Bob Green wrote:Offensive line preview: http://bluedevilnation.net/2015/07/foot ... e-preview/

Duke led the nation in tackles for loss allowed per game (3.15) in 2014 and was second in the ACC in sacks allowed per game (1).

:) Let's Go Duke!!!!
Bob Green
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by Bob Green » August 2nd, 2015, 8:10 pm

Vegas odds:

http://www.vegasinsider.com/college-foo ... las-vegas/

Duke opened as a 13.5 points favorite with the over/under at 47. I'll take a 31-17 win.
Bob Green

Post by Bob Green » August 4th, 2015, 6:01 pm

Lots of preseason articles available at various sites. Here are a couple on Week 3 opponent Northwestern:

Northwestern: http://dailynorthwestern.com/2015/08/03 ... m-improve/
Special teams was not a point of strength for Northwestern in 2014.
http://dailynorthwestern.com/2015/08/01 ... ad-season/
The basic takeaway: Redshirt freshman Clayton Thorson, sophomore Matt Alviti and senior Zack Oliver remain in open competition for the starting spot, as the Wildcats roster learns to play with each of its three signal-callers.
Bob Green

Post by Bob Green » August 10th, 2015, 5:23 pm

Duke preview from ESPN:

http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/id/8 ... lue-devils

A good read with some meat. Article says six wins and a 4th straight bowl game is the worst case scenario! It list freshman Aaron Young as the receiver to keep an eye on, which is surprising due to all the hype around T.J. Rahming. Young is 6'2" 200 pounds and ESPN says he is an advance route runner who knows how to use his body.
Bob Green

Post by Bob Green » August 13th, 2015, 6:16 pm

Coach Cutcliffe addressed the running back situation today:

1. Jela Duncan does not appear to need surgery meaning he could return sometime later this season.
2. Joe Ajeigbe's lower body injury is concerning and difficult to put a timetable on his return. This does not sound good to me.
3. Shaun Wilson's injury is a hamstring and he is another week away from returning to practice.

We have one healthy scholarship RB in Shaq Powell. The team will scrimmage Saturday with Powell probably not seeing any reps to prevent possible injury.

Nico Pierre will see reps at RB in the scrimmage. Pierre is big (6'2" 210) and fast with great hands, plus he knows the offense. Time will tell if he can effectively transition to running back. Coach Cutcliffe praised his attitude. This situation seems promising to me.
wolfpackdevil
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by wolfpackdevil » August 14th, 2015, 8:41 am

This morning Duke revealed all new uniforms for this upcoming season. Duke and Nike decided to return to the classic "Colts shoulder stripes" design that Cutcliffe implemented when he got here in 2008. We will have similar uniform combinations as last year, with black, blue, and white options for helmets/jerseys/pants.

One interesting note from Duke football equipment is that we were upgraded to Tier 1 status for Nike football. Basically, that means we are now receiving the same technology in our uniforms and other gear that schools like Oregon, Alabama, TCU, Baylor, and other top programs receive. This is noticeable when you see the sleek and speed design within the new uniform. This is a pretty cool honor and something that the program should be proud of. Below is a link to the video revealing the uniforms.

20 DAYS UNTIL TULANE!!!

http://www.goduke.com/mediaPortal/playe ... em_id=4200
Attachments
CMXP4f2UkAAKmJ5.jpg
DukePA
PWing School Associate Professor
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by DukePA » August 14th, 2015, 11:11 am

Bad Ass!!!
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 14th, 2015, 11:44 am

wolfpackdevil wrote:This morning Duke revealed all new uniforms for this upcoming season. Duke and Nike decided to return to the classic "Colts shoulder stripes" design that Cutcliffe implemented when he got here in 2008. We will have similar uniform combinations as last year, with black, blue, and white options for helmets/jerseys/pants.

One interesting note from Duke football equipment is that we were upgraded to Tier 1 status for Nike football. Basically, that means we are now receiving the same technology in our uniforms and other gear that schools like Oregon, Alabama, TCU, Baylor, and other top programs receive. This is noticeable when you see the sleek and speed design within the new uniform. This is a pretty cool honor and something that the program should be proud of. Below is a link to the video revealing the uniforms.

20 DAYS UNTIL TULANE!!!

As far as I'm concerned, they can already incinerate the uni on the far left of your photo.

Otherwise, thanks for posting. As Meatloaf sang many years ago, "Two Outta Three Ain't Bad."
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » August 14th, 2015, 2:45 pm

devildeac wrote:
As far as I'm concerned, they can already incinerate the uni on the far left of your photo.

Otherwise, thanks for posting. As Meatloaf sang many years ago, "Two Outta Three Ain't Bad."
:flame: :flame: :spork: :flame: :flame:
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 14th, 2015, 4:34 pm

devildeac wrote:
wolfpackdevil wrote:This morning Duke revealed all new uniforms for this upcoming season. Duke and Nike decided to return to the classic "Colts shoulder stripes" design that Cutcliffe implemented when he got here in 2008. We will have similar uniform combinations as last year, with black, blue, and white options for helmets/jerseys/pants.

20 DAYS UNTIL TULANE!!!

Plus, our guys look rather thin, stiff, under-developed and emotionless in that photo 8-| .
Bob Green

Post by Bob Green » August 15th, 2015, 9:27 am

I love the all blue uniforms!

Here is an update on the running game and a look at the special teams by Patrick Cacchio:

http://bluedevilnation.net/2015/08/foot ... s-preview/
Bob Green

Post by Bob Green » August 16th, 2015, 9:57 am

There are lots of potentially exciting things out of last night's 75 play scrimmage. Here are highlights with comments from Coach Cutcliffe, Thomas Sirk and Max McCaffrey:

There are two good posts at DBR, from Jim Sumner and Olympic Fan, with some details. The Devils Den also has a nice recap posted at their site:

http://www.scout.com/college/duke/story ... e-notebook

Here are a few comments from my perspective based on watching the highlights and reading everything I could find this morning:

1. Johnell Barnes (#4) stood out at wide receiver.
2. Zavier Carmichael (#24 LB) made plays. His performance at MLB is critical moving forward.
3. Several redshirt freshmen are healthy after being dinged up last season: Taariq Shabazz (#90 DE), Johnathan Lloyd (#5 CB), Trip McNeill (#74 OG). Depth is always critical.
4. True freshmen Jeremy McDuffie (#9 CB) and T.J. Rahming (#3 WR) saw lots of action. Both these guys are speedsters. Again, depth is critical.
5. Jim Sumner states he practically guarantees Ben Humphreys (#34 LB) plays as a true freshman.
6. Assumed starters Braxton Deaver (#89 TE) and Lucas Patrick (#67 OG) did not participate.
7. True freshman Marquies Price (#91 DE) played a lot of snaps. I still feel one of the young DEs needs to shine this season.

Coach Cutcliffe stated the scrimmage was about identifying playmakers. "This isn't scheme heavy or about moving the ball it is about players." There will be another scrimmage next Saturday, which will closely simulate game situations.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 16th, 2015, 10:10 am

Bob Green wrote:There are lots of potentially exciting things out of last night's 75 play scrimmage. Here are highlights with comments from Coach Cutcliffe, Thomas Sirk and Max McCaffrey:

There are two good posts at DBR, from Jim Sumner and Olympic Fan, with some details. The Devils Den also has a nice recap posted at their site:

http://www.scout.com/college/duke/story ... e-notebook

Here are a few comments from my perspective based on watching the highlights and reading everything I could find this morning:

1. Johnell Barnes (#4) stood out at wide receiver.
2. Zavier Carmichael (#24 LB) made plays. His performance at MLB is critical moving forward.
3. Several redshirt freshmen are healthy after being dinged up last season: Taariq Shabazz (#90 DE), Johnathan Lloyd (#5 CB), Trip McNeill (#74 OG). Depth is always critical.
4. True freshmen Jeremy McDuffie (#9 CB) and T.J. Rahming (#3 WR) saw lots of action. Both these guys are speedsters. Again, depth is critical.
5. Jim Sumner states he practically guarantees Ben Humphreys (#34 LB) plays as a true freshman.
6. Assumed starters Braxton Deaver (#89 TE) and Lucas Patrick (#67 OG) did not participate.
7. True freshman Marquies Price (#91 DE) played a lot of snaps. I still feel one of the young DEs needs to shine this season.

Coach Cutcliffe stated the scrimmage was about identifying playmakers. "This isn't scheme heavy or about moving the ball it is about players." There will be another scrimmage next Saturday, which will closely simulate game situations.
Great summary, Bob. Thanks!
chipslate

Post by chipslate » August 16th, 2015, 7:14 pm

Thanks for the great info, Bob!
Bob Green

Post by Bob Green » August 17th, 2015, 6:24 pm

chipslate wrote:Thanks for the great info, Bob!
You're welcome! I'm ready for some football.
Bob Green

Post by Bob Green » August 21st, 2015, 5:04 am

devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 21st, 2015, 7:02 am

Despite "The Hack" warning, I really look forward to your very informative and educational thoughts and posts, Bob. ;)

Thanks again for taking the time to compose.

:spork: :spork:
Bob Green

Post by Bob Green » August 21st, 2015, 4:11 pm

devildeac wrote:Despite "The Hack" warning, I really look forward to your very informative and educational thoughts and posts, Bob. ;)

Thanks again for taking the time to compose.

:spork: :spork:
Thanks for the kind words. Writing the articles is a fun hobby and helps me increase my knowledge of the team.
Bob Green

Post by Bob Green » August 22nd, 2015, 5:20 pm

Scrimmage report: Jim Sumner has posted a detailed report of today's scrimmage at DBR. There are also a couple of good posts on TDD. I'm not going to try and summarize the info here; however, a highlights video is available below:

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml? ... EM_ID=4200

Here is a YouTube Q&A with Coach Cutcliffe. He has very nice words for Nico Pierre at running back. Cut says Nico is up to 220 pounds and when he gets him running a little lower he is not going to be a lot of fun to tackle. Pierre is still running a bit too upright.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLf5QJJ ... youtu.be&a

Oh, the best news: NO NEW INJURIES!
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » August 23rd, 2015, 11:36 am

Bob Green wrote: Oh, the best news: NO NEW INJURIES!
#:-s
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.