Medical School!

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

DukieInKansas
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Re: Medical School!

Post by DukieInKansas » February 14th, 2020, 11:36 am

:happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue:
Congratulations! I hope you get the match you want. What were your other Match choices?
Life is good!
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » February 14th, 2020, 12:45 pm

Congratulations and best wishes! :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :duke:
Iron Duke #1471997.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » February 17th, 2020, 9:19 pm

Fingers, toes, and eyes are all crossed for you, Robbie! You've got this!

:9f:
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
Ima Facultiwyfe
PWing School Professor

Post by Ima Facultiwyfe » February 19th, 2020, 10:37 am

Sure hope you land here, Doc! You see.... I have this sinus problem and ...oh well, that can wait. We're still hoping to get Native back here for a stint at Fuqua but he's non-committal on the subject. It would be so great to have you both back among us! Keep us posted and best of luck! :Clap:
Love, Ima
"We will never NEVER go away." -- D. Cutcliffe
IowaDevil
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by IowaDevil » February 24th, 2020, 1:09 pm

Rolvix wrote:
January 7th, 2015, 7:48 pm
I am very very very very excited to share with all of you, who have had an important role in my life the past five or six years, that I was just accepted to the University of Miami Miller School of Medicine for their MD/MPH program!!! I'm in shock. (But still waiting for six more interview schools, including DUKE MED, to get back to me!) Could I cheer for The U??!

Congratulations! You will be outstanding wherever you end up! :ymhug:
:happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f:
Rolvix
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by Rolvix » March 2nd, 2020, 9:58 pm

Thank you for all of the good wishes! Your support over the past 10(?!) years has been so uplifting.
DukieInKansas wrote:
February 14th, 2020, 11:36 am
Congratulations! I hope you get the match you want. What were your other Match choices?
I ranked a total of 11 programs! Duke, Emory, Mount Sinai, and Miami are my top choices. Each of these have a particular emphasis on global health research (which is fairly rare in ENT) in addition to strong clinical training. Duke actually has the first ENT-specific global health research track starting this year, which would give me 2 additional years of residency doing NIH-funded research with the Duke Global Health Institute. This would go a long way in terms of preparing me for an academic career as a surgeon-researcher in global health.
Class of 2014
DukieInKansas
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » March 4th, 2020, 8:15 am

Rolvix wrote:
March 2nd, 2020, 9:58 pm
Thank you for all of the good wishes! Your support over the past 10(?!) years has been so uplifting.
DukieInKansas wrote:
I ranked a total of 11 programs! Duke, Emory, Mount Sinai, and Miami are my top choices. Each of these have a particular emphasis on global health research (which is fairly rare in ENT) in addition to strong clinical training. Duke actually has the first ENT-specific global health research track starting this year, which would give me 2 additional years of residency doing NIH-funded research with the Duke Global Health Institute. This would go a long way in terms of preparing me for an academic career as a surgeon-researcher in global health.
I hope you get your top choice. Did you ever run into Susan Koch- Weser while at Tufts?
Life is good!
Rolvix

Post by Rolvix » March 10th, 2020, 12:10 am

DukieInKansas wrote:
March 4th, 2020, 8:15 am
Rolvix wrote:
DukieInKansas wrote:
I hope you get your top choice. Did you ever run into Susan Koch- Weser while at Tufts?
Thank you! Interestingly, I haven't run into her despite my MPH curriculum. I have seen her name floating around the public health department, though.
Class of 2014
DukieInKansas

Post by DukieInKansas » March 10th, 2020, 10:10 am

Rolvix wrote:
March 10th, 2020, 12:10 am
DukieInKansas wrote:
March 4th, 2020, 8:15 am
Rolvix wrote:

Thank you! Interestingly, I haven't run into her despite my MPH curriculum. I have seen her name floating around the public health department, though.
I was just curious - I went to high school with her husband in Seoul, Korea.
Life is good!
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » March 12th, 2020, 10:20 pm

Congrats on the pending med school graduation, and best of luck with residency placement! :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue:
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
DukieInKansas

Post by DukieInKansas » March 22nd, 2020, 9:31 pm

Just saw on twitter that he matched with Duke! :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue:
Life is good!
Rolvix

Post by Rolvix » March 22nd, 2020, 9:52 pm

DukieInKansas wrote:
March 22nd, 2020, 9:31 pm
Just saw on twitter that he matched with Duke! :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue:
Duke it is! Coming home to Durham for the next 7 years! I (and my family) couldn't be more thrilled.

Now if anyone has any Duke tickets... Apparently none of the ENT faculty have season tickets :|
Class of 2014
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » March 22nd, 2020, 10:56 pm

Rolvix wrote:
March 22nd, 2020, 9:52 pm
DukieInKansas wrote:
March 22nd, 2020, 9:31 pm
Duke it is! Coming home to Durham for the next 7 years! I (and my family) couldn't be more thrilled.

Now if anyone has any Duke tickets... Apparently none of the ENT faculty have season tickets :|
I read this only moments ago and already my face hurts from smiling so much. Great news! Congrats!!

If you can't get many MBB tix, you'll have to remember we do have this pretty good FB tailgate group called TrueBlue'CueCrew. Come join us...
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
shereec
PWing School Professor

Post by shereec » March 23rd, 2020, 5:20 am

Congratulations! and Welcome Home!
IowaDevil

Post by IowaDevil » March 24th, 2020, 11:47 am

Congratulations! :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue:
:happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f:
Ima Facultiwyfe
PWing School Professor

Post by Ima Facultiwyfe » March 24th, 2020, 9:31 pm

So happy for you, Rob .... but mostly for your family who will LOVE having you home! Now get Michael to come back!!!!
Love, Ima
"We will never NEVER go away." -- D. Cutcliffe
Turk
Part Time Student at PWing school
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by Turk » October 7th, 2021, 6:22 pm

Whilst noodling around I thought I might share some more med school news, in May, my eldest, affectionately and sometimes mentioned here as "Swee'Pea", graduated from UC- San Francisco Medical School. It was virtual, and we weren't allowed to celebrate in person. I don't think she likes "Dr. Swee'Pea", maybe "Dr. Turk" will stick. She got her first match, and will be spending the next 3 years in San Jose, in the Stanford - O'Connor Family Medicine Residency Program. She's working long days, but is enjoying it. We'll go out for a long weekend later this month, and she'll come east in December.

http://www.oconnorfamilymedicine.com/
"The idea is that you are better today than you were yesterday."
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » October 7th, 2021, 9:05 pm

Turk wrote:
October 7th, 2021, 6:22 pm
Whilst noodling around I thought I might share some more med school news, in May, my eldest, affectionately and sometimes mentioned here as "Swee'Pea", graduated from UC- San Francisco Medical School. It was virtual, and we weren't allowed to celebrate in person. I don't think she likes "Dr. Swee'Pea", maybe "Dr. Turk" will stick. She got her first match, and will be spending the next 3 years in San Jose, in the Stanford - O'Connor Family Medicine Residency Program. She's working long days, but is enjoying it. We'll go out for a long weekend later this month, and she'll come east in December.

Congrats!! :happy-bouncyblue:

BTW, I like Dr. Swee'Pea way more than my last doctor's literal name.
Dr. Grimm. :-s
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 7th, 2021, 10:00 pm

Turk wrote:

Fabulous news! Thanks for sharing!!
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
DukieInKansas

Post by DukieInKansas » October 9th, 2021, 2:10 pm

Turk wrote:

Congratulations to Dr. Swee'Pea! And her parents!
Life is good!