Game Day A-Z Update for Nov. 20, UNC game

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

Devil in the Blue Dress
Graduate Student at PWing school

Game Day A-Z Update for Nov. 20, UNC game

Post by Devil in the Blue Dress » November 10th, 2014, 5:22 pm

All parking lots to open at 5:30P. Devil Walk will be at 5:15P.

This link is to the complete document which has significant changes highlighted in yellow.
http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml? ... =209739503

The long range weather forecast calls for cold temperatures and the possibility of some rain.
http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/durham ... _pc?day=11

I wish there were better news to report. ;;)
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Game Day A-Z Update for Nov. 20, UNC game

Post by CameronBornAndBred » November 10th, 2014, 6:46 pm

100% sucks. Beyond sucks. Only Duke in their great capacity for logic could think this is a good plan.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
Devil in the Blue Dress

Post by Devil in the Blue Dress » November 10th, 2014, 6:50 pm

This announcement is not being well received anywhere. It almost makes me wish I hadn't posted it.... but I think it's important to know what to expect that night. ;;)
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » November 10th, 2014, 7:26 pm

Devil in the Blue Dress wrote:This announcement is not being well received anywhere. It almost makes me wish I hadn't posted it.... but I think it's important to know what to expect that night. ;;)
Since Ozzie clued us in a week or so ago, we've expected it, and have been working on "plan B" in regards to tailgate, but have been hoping beyond hope that someone up top would realize what a fucking dumbass they are being. This is beyond a wasted opportunity; this is taking something wonderful, like a stocking on Christmas, and filling it full of coal even though all the kids have been good.
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » November 10th, 2014, 9:07 pm

It will be what is. We will still be there. :9f:
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » November 10th, 2014, 11:13 pm

Devil in the Blue Dress wrote:This announcement is not being well received anywhere. It almost makes me wish I hadn't posted it.... but I think it's important to know what to expect that night. ;;)
People think employees should leave work to so their precious parking lots will be available. Newsflash, Duke is more than football and academics, we save lives every day. Nurses, lab techs, radiology techs, nursing assistants, pharmacists, and doctors are at the medical center to take care of your mother, father, grandmother, grandfather, brother, sister, wife, husband, and kids. In the big picture, one game is but a blip compared to what we do every day. It is a bummer that tailgates what get to happen, but we'll all get over it because we are on national television and we're gonna beat the cheaters. Channel your cooking and partying talents into making signs so you can be on national television.
I worship the Blue Devil!
IowaDevil
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by IowaDevil » November 10th, 2014, 11:17 pm

Well we will be there too - rain or shine! Do explain parking opens at 5:30 and Devil Walk at 5:15? That just doesn't work does it?

I can't wait to be able to sign up on the Menu & Attendence post! Makes me a happy camper! :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue:

GTHc GTH :9f:
:happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f:
wolfpackdevil
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by wolfpackdevil » November 11th, 2014, 12:16 am

I have seen this quote 10000 times... "The parking lots will open at 5:30 and the blue devil walk will be at 5:15".......

THAT IS NOT POSSIBLE!!!!!!!!!!!! How are people at one of the greatest universities in the world this stupid?! If Blue Devil Alley is not open until 5:30, there will be nobody there to see that blue devil walk. None of us, nor anyone that has a tent in blue devil alley will have been allowed in the parking lot by the time the team will be walking. So again, how in the (bad word) is the blue devil walk going to happen if there IS NO ONE THERE TO WATCH IT?!

I understand the hospital reason for the late openings. But there is no need for the University and the normal school faculty to be there until 5. NC State hosts Thursday games all the time and have made it work. Even the cheaters have hosted a couple Thursday night games. I have been looking forward to next Thursday since February and it is beginning to seem like a complete waste of a primetime game. I would much rather have the game just be on Saturday so we could actually tailgate. There is no need for it to be on Thursday night if no one can show up until kickoff time.
allen

Post by allen » November 11th, 2014, 10:12 am

Tilley - the time to make the decision that the mission of the university is too important for a weeknight football game would have been BEFORE we accepted it. Once accepted we need to make it work.

I agree with wolfpackdevil (shocking, I know). It would have been better to have left it to a Saturday - instead we reward the TV fans at the expense of those of is who sat through zero win seasons.
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » November 11th, 2014, 10:52 am

allen wrote:Tilley - the time to make the decision that the mission of the university is too important for a weeknight football game would have been BEFORE we accepted it. Once accepted we need to make it work.

I agree with wolfpackdevil (shocking, I know). It would have been better to have left it to a Saturday - instead we reward the TV fans at the expense of those of is who sat through zero win seasons.
Oh good grief! So you are saying a football game is more important than classes (students and profs park in the lots the Iron Dukes use) or healthcare?

The notion that "we are rewarding the TV fans" is a pile of crap. Duke as a whole is being rewarded.
allen

Post by allen » November 11th, 2014, 11:59 am

There are 365 days in a year. We are talking about 1/12 of one of them (2 hours). Thank you for referring toy post as a piece of crap - you have now turned crazietalk into DBR.

By the way I never said anything about football being more important than healthcare - that was your straw man, and an unfair twisting of words and intentions
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » November 11th, 2014, 12:10 pm

allen wrote:There are 365 days in a year. We are talking about 1/12 of one of them (2 hours). Thank you for referring toy post as a piece of crap - you have now turned crazietalk into DBR.

By the way I never said anything about football being more important than healthcare - that was your straw man, and an unfair twisting of words and intentions
I did not say your post was a piece of crap, read it again. I said the notion was a piece of crap.

#firstworldproblems
Devil in the Blue Dress

Post by Devil in the Blue Dress » November 11th, 2014, 12:18 pm

Dealing with game day circumstances on November 20 would be a challenge no matter the details. I hope we can all work through the options and frustrations related to getting there and move on. Please don't let the frustrations about getting there divide us. ;;)
DukePA

Post by DukePA » November 11th, 2014, 12:21 pm

If nothing else, I believe the team deserves better. What is the purpose of a Thursday night game? TV revenue. The heels are our biggest rivals and our guys deserve to have full fan support on the Devil Walk and in Wallace Wade. They have come so far and worked their asses off. In my opinion, scheduling our biggest rivals on a Thursday night and limiting tailgating and attendance is not cool. No one in their right mind believes football games and tailgating are more important than healthcare or learning, but many of us do believe the team deserves the respect of those who schedule games and consideration for the impact on them when they schedule a Thursday night game, especially a game against our biggest rival.
DukePA

Post by DukePA » November 11th, 2014, 12:37 pm

Devil in the Blue Dress wrote:Dealing with game day circumstances on November 20 would be a challenge no matter the details. I hope we can all work through the options and frustrations related to getting there and move on. Please don't let the frustrations about getting there divide us. ;;)
You're right, DitBD. What's it all about? GO DUKE!!!
wolfpackdevil

Post by wolfpackdevil » November 11th, 2014, 3:29 pm

Oh good grief! So you are saying a football game is more important than classes (students and profs park in the lots the Iron Dukes use)
I am a college student. I'm sorry I do not have the pleasure to be a Duke student, but I have many friends that will be skipping their "important" classes at Duke next Thursday to get really, really drunk for the game. As a college student, I do believe that one afternoon class is not that important in the grand scheme of a semester. I am typing this post in class as we speak. The University should have never accepted the offer for a Thursday night game if they were not ready to make the necessary arrangements on campus. Whatever the University decides to do, that will not stop my friends and hundreds of Duke students from skipping their classes to pregame in their dorms.

And by the way, I never made any accusation of the hospital or people that are working in healthcare. This has been entirely about the student/faculty lots.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » November 11th, 2014, 4:10 pm

wolfpackdevil wrote:
Oh good grief! So you are saying a football game is more important than classes (students and profs park in the lots the Iron Dukes use)
I am a college student. I'm sorry I do not have the pleasure to be a Duke student, but I have many friends that will be skipping their "important" classes at Duke next Thursday to get really, really drunk for the game. As a college student, I do believe that one afternoon class is not that important in the grand scheme of a semester. I am typing this post in class as we speak. The University should have never accepted the offer for a Thursday night game if they were not ready to make the necessary arrangements on campus. Whatever the University decides to do, that will not stop my friends and hundreds of Duke students from skipping their classes to pregame in their dorms.

And by the way, I never made any accusation of the hospital or people that are working in healthcare. This has been entirely about the student/faculty lots.
:spork: :spork: :spork:
DukieInKansas
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » November 11th, 2014, 5:14 pm

Unfortunately, I won't be at the game. I understand that arrangements have been made for offsite parking with free shuttles - great idea. However, I think arrangements could be made to have the lot(s) where Blue Devil Alley is open with tents set up. This would require asking the normal daily parkers (is that even a word?) in a limited number of parking spots to park somewhere else - with a shuttle provided. I think it is important for the team to have as many of the normal folks lined up for their walk as possible.

No matter what else - Let's Go, Duke! GTH, C, GTH!
:9f: :9f: :9f: :9f: :9f: :9f: :9f: :9f: :9f: :9f: :9f: :9f: :9f: :9f: :9f: :9f: :9f: :9f: :9f: :9f: :9f: :9f: :9f: :9f: :9f: :9f: :9f: :9f: :9f: :9f: :9f: :9f: :9f: :9f: :9f: :9f: :9f: :9f: :9f: :9f: :9f:
Life is good!
DukePA

Post by DukePA » November 11th, 2014, 5:37 pm

It was pointed out OY that the Card Gym lot is cleared out 3 hours before basketball games. Why can't the same happen for this football game? It would be better than waiting until after the Blue Devil Walk to open the lot. Of course that doesn't help those who park in other lots, but as was also pointed out, there are remote lots with shuttles that would be an option.
allen

Post by allen » November 11th, 2014, 6:17 pm

The truly educated don't just possess a lot of content knowledge - adaptability, flexability, and problem solving are marks of the well educated. To show our true status as a university we would have figured this out, not simply acted as though there was no solution.

To act as though this is an either / or situation does not make us appear to be a great university, it shows a lack of willingness or ability to problem solve
Last edited by allen on November 11th, 2014, 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.