Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

TNTDevil
Part Time Student at PWing school

Kansas @ Duke. 3:30 PM Kick-off. Menu & Attendance thread

Post by TNTDevil » September 9th, 2014, 8:53 am

Apologies to all to have to start this way but...<soapbox>
Funny thing the written word, you think you've made a solid, factual case. Succinct and focused. And your words just whiz right past your target audience's brains. Let's give it another go:

It appears we need to clarify a few things w/r/t the tailgate, food and, financial contributions.

First, a bit of history: Everyone should understand that Chris and I NEVER asked to be the un-compensated caterers for the tent. In the early years or, Brunchgates, I was preparing extensive menus because I was usually inviting 10-15 folks as my guests (In fact, it was in this way our group was initially formed) and, usually had enough to feed other tent members too. I had no expectation of being compensated. Then, as our group expanded, Chris and I began coordinating in order to share the workload of food prep for the “main course(s)” and a couple of side items, while everyone else contributed other side items. Well, what we saw was that our stuff got totally devoured, while the various side items, which were usually store-bought, went, for the most part, untouched. Again, we had no expectation of getting paid.

So, we simply asked people to reconsider bringing store-bought stuff just so they could check the “we contributed” box. Let's look at what I said back during the dark days of '09:
First, if you're unsure what to bring- please stop bringing the generic, soul-less foods. If you don’t like, or don't have time, to prepare something at home- that’s okay! Just bring your Beverages of Choice (BoC) and settle in for a bangin’ good time. Please- DO NOT bring cookies/chips/cheese doodles from the <insert grocery store name here> just to bring "something". (This request does not apply to “specialty foods” i.e. food from a great local deli/bakery/pastry shop, confectioner).

How about saving time and the hassle by dropping some coin in the “Contribute” Jar. There are two great reasons for this request; 1) most of you (no offense nor blame intended) have no idea how much of that stuff gets thrown away during load-out. We give away as much as we can to the students, etc. but, still a great deal gets discarded as waste and; 2) Instead of paying Harris-Teeter $6 for some soul-less cookies, drop a few bucks into the “Contribute” jar and, voila!, the gruel we usually serve goes up a notch. ;) (Think: fresh roaches in the chili! And, of course, more Dead Ants!)
Well, in response to this request the other members of our group appointed us, by default, as "the cooks" because EVERYONE (with a rare, few exceptions) just stopped bringing food altogether and started relying on our menu and preparation. Our hope was that instead of paying the $10-$20 to the grocery stores (or Panera/Bojangles et. al.) they’d drop that cash in the Tip Jar and it would be a win-win-- more donations meant we could prepare higher quality food, in the necessary quantities, and folks could simply relax and enjoy the day.

But, apparently, some members of the group have decided that the experience is only worth a couple of bucks per-person, per-game. And, even a minor donation can be avoided provided they donate something food-related to the effort. Here’s the problem with that line of thinking: These food donations are appreciated and, I’m certain, immensely enjoyed. Unfortunately, those efforts don’t do anything to reduce the expenditures and efforts Chris and I incur. Nor do they even begin to approach the quantity of food required to satisfy our crew. Just like your <insert donated food item here>,was completely consumed, so was all the food we prepared. However, we spent a great deal of our money, in advance, and probably 30+ hours of time just to plan and execute the meal. We’ll leave aside, for now, the leg-work involved with hosting the tailgate.

If the argument is that all the tent members want is pot-luck/drive-thru type tailgate, then somebody should have said as much. It would have saved Chris and I a shit-ton of time, money and, effort. I'd hate to see that happen (if for nothing else it makes clean-up a bloody nightmare) but, if that's what the group prefers, then so be it.

And, about that leg-work...yes, Chris and I love tailgating, something we consider a labor of love. We take pride in being the first to arrive and the last to leave (which is only one of the reasons why the TBCC tent has such a sterling reputation on BDA, among the Duke Football staff and, the Duke PR folks) but, it's a ton of work. Add-in preparing a decent meal for 53 of your closest friends and the work goes up exponentially.

We plan and prepare so all y'all gotta do is walk-up, sit down and get your party on. Then, at the end of the day- y'all just grab your chairs and cooler(s) and go on your way. And, while we enjoy hosting, it's been very disheartening the last few years to count-up the proceeds of the Tip Jar and find ourselves not even being reimbursed for the food costs, much less the effort we put forth. This is something that will not continue.

I'll close with one final point, one I've made before but, it bears repeating: Anywhere else, for what you enjoy at our tailgate, would be worth north of $30 per-person, per-game. If all your willing to pay is your tent fee plus $5, then you'll soon have a tailgate which reflects that level of expenditure.
</soapbox>

Alright, now on the menu for the Battle of the "Basketball" Schools!

TBCC (+7):
Breakfast/Brunch: Coffee Cake with Brown-sugar Pecan Streusel;
Appetizers: Pimento cheese w/crackers and veggies, Chipotle Hummus w/garlic bagel crisps, Wings & ABTs;
Guest(s) of Honour: 40 lbs of bone-in, spice-rubbed Prime Rib, slow-smoked over Maple, Grilled shrimp;
Sides: Tim's Baked Beans, Grilled potatoes with garlic & Rosemary, grilled green beans and Asparagus;
Bread: Honey Whole wheat rolls;
Desserts: Chocolate chip cookies, Brown-sugar cookies, Chocolate Crack-ups;
Beverages: Water, tea and Spicy Bloody Marys, sampler brews and one homebrew bomber

Ozzie + Talklady- homemade peach cobbler, $;
AM (+5): $;
ChipSlate + TigerDevil- drinks and dough;
30Scheyer (+4)- Fruit salad, green bean salad;
LG (+1)- $ and maybe tasty white chocolate candy corn M&M cookies;
VDB (+1)- $;
Cheermom (+5 and a bunch of cheerleaders)- Chicken in a balsamic marinade to be grilled, Double batch of green salad with walnuts, craisins, and gorgonzola or blue cheese, Deviled Eggs, Vegetarian Pasta Salad, Fruit
Brownies in honor of cheer daugther's birthday on Sunday :ymparty:
CathyCA (+1)- $;
AW- Water & greenback(s);
DD (+5)- Corn casserole, $;
CrazierTT (+3)- Sweet, sweet kay$h;
DPSLaw (+3)- Gold bullion;

Total attendance=51 + a gaggle of cheerleaders. :happy-cheerleadersmileygirl:
Last edited by CameronBornAndBred on September 12th, 2014, 7:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Count update
"I was gratified to be able to answer promptly. I said I don't know."- Mark Twain
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Kansa @ Duke. 3:30 PM Kick-off. Menu & Attendance thread

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » September 9th, 2014, 10:26 am

Ozzie and TalkLady (2). $20 plus Costco's and homemade peach cobbler! How homemade? We bought the peaches last Saturday in South Carolina on the way home from Florida! :9f: Beat Kansas!
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
allen

Post by allen » September 9th, 2014, 11:06 am

Murray family of 4 plus two guests (total of 6 for non-math majors). We will contribute a minimum of $15 per person (come on folks, it is Prime Freakin' Rib, the king of all the meats. I gave up red meat a year ago after an unpleasant week in the cardiology unit at Duke - nevertheless I still can't wait to get my mouth on Tim's and Chris' meat (that may not have come out quite right).
chipslate

Post by chipslate » September 9th, 2014, 11:13 am

Chipslate (+1) AKA TigerDevil will be there with libations and Jacksons for the best tailgating chefs in the free world. Pimp cake or an equivalent will be a game-time decision and I reserve the right to randomly bring packs of bacon for no reason whatsoever.

Remote tailgate will be available by request, but please let me know b/c if there's no interest I'll leave the equipment at home. GO DUKE!!!!!!!!!

:happy-bouncyblue:
30scheyer
I don't know what PWing is.
I don't know what PWing is.

Post by 30scheyer » September 9th, 2014, 11:21 am

Rogers plus 2 (total of 5)
Well bring fruit salad again and green bean salad
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » September 9th, 2014, 12:57 pm

Two Lawgrads, bearing green encouragement. If I really get motivated, I may make some white chocolate candy corn M&M cookies. :9f:
Iron Duke #1471997.
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » September 9th, 2014, 11:14 pm

Dana is planning on coming with me. I will pay for both of us.
Cheermom

Post by Cheermom » September 9th, 2014, 11:33 pm

Because our Tailgate will be hosting the White Squad cheerleaders :happy-cheerleaderkid: :happy-cheerleaderkid: , I will contribute several items as well as put in the requisite amount of $$ -
Chicken in a balsamic marinade to be grilled
Double batch of green salad with walnuts, craisins, and gorgonzola or blue cheese
Deviled Eggs
Vegetarian Pasta Salad
Fruit
Brownies in honor of cheer daugther's birthday on Sunday

Right now our headcount is cheermom +2 and the White Squad. Still waiting to hear if any of our cheer parents or parents of freshmen are coming.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » September 10th, 2014, 7:49 am

CathyCA + Jon = 2

We will be dropping $40 in the tip jar, as we did last week.

:9f:
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
August West

Re: Kansas @ Duke. 3:30 PM Kick-off. Menu & Attendance threa

Post by August West » September 10th, 2014, 11:50 am

Party of 1. Bringing more water, (we went through almost 2 cases last game). Beer to share, trade and taste. Some wine for the ladies, (I'll check with my local bottle shop to see what goes well with our menu). And more dead presidents to help balance the budget. AW. :D
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » September 10th, 2014, 12:59 pm

Very Duke Blue wrote:Dana is planning on coming with me. I will pay for both of us.
I don't think Dana will come if it's raining. The weather report doesn't look good.
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » September 10th, 2014, 2:36 pm

We will have the use of our neighbor's tent again, just like last game! Ronnie will be dropping by to sample our fare. :9f:
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 10th, 2014, 3:00 pm

The devildeacs will have 6. Undecided about $$ and/or comestibles. Final answer tonight. Will bring adult beverages for tasting and trading in addition to the usual beverages for personal consumption.
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
Crazier than thou
PW in training
PW in training

Post by Crazier than thou » September 10th, 2014, 6:31 pm

Sorry for the late response. Lost track of the time (date??) I think we will have 4 (Art, Debbie, boyfriend of our cheerleader, and a rehabilitated NC State fan). Will bring cashola as prescribed.
dpslaw

Post by dpslaw » September 10th, 2014, 11:36 pm

Dpslaw + 3. In addition to Tom, I have invited a friend and his daughter, who will be attending their first college football game. We will all feed the kitty appropriately.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 11th, 2014, 9:24 am

devildeac wrote:The devildeacs will have 6. Undecided about $$ and/or comestibles. Final answer tonight. Will bring adult beverages for tasting and trading in addition to the usual beverages for personal consumption.
Final answer: As above and we'll bring a large corn casserole and a sufficient quantity of freshly printed US legal tender of the paper variety.
DukePA
PWing School Associate Professor
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by DukePA » September 11th, 2014, 11:05 am

devildeac wrote:
devildeac wrote:The devildeacs will have 6. Undecided about $$ and/or comestibles. Final answer tonight. Will bring adult beverages for tasting and trading in addition to the usual beverages for personal consumption.
Final answer: As above and we'll bring a large corn casserole and a sufficient quantity of freshly printed US legal tender of the paper variety.
Mrs. DD's corn casserole is freaking awesome!!! Wish I could make it.
Bob Green
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by Bob Green » September 11th, 2014, 11:16 am

Bob Green + 4: Janice, Zeke, Grover (my Dad) and Mark (nephew). We will donte $$ appropriately.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 11th, 2014, 11:26 am

DukePA wrote:
devildeac wrote:
Mrs. DD's corn casserole is freaking awesome!!! Wish I could make it.
I've passed on your comment to the chef and she thanks you. :D ;;) :-* :ymhug:
Cheermom

Post by Cheermom » September 11th, 2014, 11:45 pm

Please add 3 more people to the cheermom headcount - the family of a freshman. The tip jar will be fed the requisite amount of $$.