Elon @ Duke. 6PM Kick-off. Menu & Attendance.

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

TNTDevil
Part Time Student at PWing school

Elon @ Duke. 6PM Kick-off. Menu & Attendance.

Post by TNTDevil » August 24th, 2014, 12:31 pm

Well, here we are again, most of August is in the rear-view mirror so that must mean it's time, once again, for some Duke Tailgating...wait...I mean football! Yeah, football is what I meant!

FOOTBALL!

Ahhh yes. Duke Football. Coastal Division Champions! Hell, we even have expectations to live-up to this year! That's pretty damn okay in my book.

Most of you know the drill but, for those of you just joining us, let me 'splain:
  • This thread is where you can inform others of your intentions to attend and with how many guests. You can also post here if you would like to contribute a dish (or dishes) to the gastronomic orgy which is the TBCC tailgate or, just take the simple route and generously feed the Tip Jar. :Clap:
  • Please, only post items you're bringing to share. If you're just bringing beverages and/or food for you and your party then there's no need to post that in this thread.
  • Because we need to insure we're bringing/preparing enough food for all whom attend, if your plan is to just donate $, please make your intentions (and the number in your party) known as soon as possible.
  • If you are bringing food that needs "grill time" (i.e. to be reheated/cooked), make that information known in your post.
We love the fact that in the last few years we've almost completely moved away from the soulless food* and folks are choosing instead to donate to the TBCC. However, we've run into somewhat of a dilemma. While we've done our best at keeping the food's quality and quantity at what most, if not all, consider far above average, the donation level has remained static. The average donation is about $5 per-person, per game. Now, five dollars may be a fair price for hot dog, chips and a soda at the corner Gas & Gulp but, the TBCC experience ain't the Gas & Gulp. (*Soulless food- stuff that folks grab from the local supermarket deli/bakery in an effort to "bring something". It mostly goes uneaten and either discarded or donated to students when possible.)

We put a great deal of effort into making sure that everything about the TBCC Tailgate is first-class and, worthy of our prime location. We do this not to make a profit, but because we love Duke, Duke Football and, hosting a great tailgate. Our goal is to make BDA the premier tailgate spot in the ACC, the TBCC Tent the top spot on BDA and, the TBCC Tailgate a fantastic game-day experience. But, the reality is with such a low, per-person donation average and, our costs increasing across the board, it's getting harder to maintain the variety, quantity and quality to which we've all become accustomed.

We understand that what drew most of us into the Duke Football experience was the affordability. By joining together we're able to enjoy what is arguably the best tailgate spot on BDA for a relative pittance per season. And, while it's true some of the membership fees help to off-set the cost of the food, there's not enough surplus. Besides whatever surplus is generated from selling tent-shares should be kept in reserve for whatever the future may hold (expansion tent, fee increases, etc.).

We're not expecting folks to donate $50 bucks per-person but, we would appreciate it if the donation was more commensurate with the overall experience. Put another way- where else in the ACC, or D1 college football for that matter, could one tailgate with family and/or friends only 200 paces from the stadium entrance, all while enjoying a copious spread of high-quality, freshly-prepared foods for only $7.67 per-person*?
(*Based on party of four- five-dollars for food and $2.67 [$10.71/4) tent fee.)

I'll close by stating that this an issue we'd have preferred to not raise. It's been one we've discussed for many, many months in the hopes we'd stumble upon some better formula. We've hoped that donations would, somehow, increase, but the magic never happened. So we're left with no other option but to appeal to everyone's better nature. Perhaps in the future we can implement some structural changes that will eliminate the need for the Tip Jar altogether but, for now, the Tip Jar, and your generosity, is our best answer.

Okay, back to the Elon game- For this tailgate we’re gonna’ try to serve the main courses around 3:30-4pm. Of course, they'll be stuff to eat all day long- as you can see below, so come early and stay late, we do!

Weather: Low 90's and clear. Bring sunscreen and offering for the low-humidity shrine.

As always I'll keep updating this post with more weather and attendance information as we move through the week.

TBCC (+7)
Breakfast: Cinnamon-Swirl Raisin Nut Bread.
Lunch/Appetizers: ABTs, Wings (Hot & Italian), Bacon-Wrapped Shrimp, Grilled Shrimp, Pimento Cheese & Crackers, Costcos.
Main Course: Molasses-brined, smoked turkeys (yes, turkeyS, 3 to be exact).
Sides: Baked beans, Bacon Ranch Potato Salad, Pasta Salad.
Breads: Tim's Rolls.
Desserts: Oatmeal Raisin Bars, Brownies, Deep-dish Apple Pie, Raspberry Cobbler, Pecan Pie Cheesecake.
Beverages: Iced Tea, Water, SBMs, SA Sampler

Bob Green & Family, table for 4 for a 2PM reservation; $
Ozzie & TalkLady- Costcos and Sam Adams sampler;
Lawgrads- table for 2; $
DD+3- Really, really good broccoli salad;
VDB- dishy tomatoes, $;
CathyCA+1- $;
AM+6- $;
AugustWest- Brews, H20, $;
30scheyer- +7- fruit salad, corn muffins & Pink Lemonade Cake, $;
Crazier than thou +1- $;
DPSLaw+1- Beer, footlong buns and $;
Cheermom+4-. Healthy, hippie stuff like salad, veggies, fruit, $; :happy-hippy;
CowboyDevil+6- Leg-quarters, roasted potatoes, picnic supplies;

Total attendees= 54
Last edited by CameronBornAndBred on August 29th, 2014, 9:20 am, edited 15 times in total.
Reason: Update count
"I was gratified to be able to answer promptly. I said I don't know."- Mark Twain
Bob Green
PWing School Endowed Professor

Re: Elon @ Duke. 6PM Kick-off. Menu & Attendance.

Post by Bob Green » August 24th, 2014, 1:02 pm

The Green Family (4): Bob, Flora, Janice and Zeke will be in attendance. We will feed the Tip Jar appropriately. Arrival time is TBD but I am planning for 2 PM.
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » August 24th, 2014, 2:24 pm

Ozzie and TalkLady. Costco's for sure, plus something TBD. Will advise! :9f:

I'll also bring several brews from the Sam Adams' summer variety bottle case, as purchased at Costco.
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » August 24th, 2014, 8:30 pm

Lawgrad, party of 2.

Later on this year we are going to guinea pig some desserts, but at present for this one there are dead Presidents coming. :9f:
Iron Duke #1471997.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 25th, 2014, 7:57 am

Joy, Claire, David John and I will attend. We're contemplating what side item/s to bring. More later.
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » August 25th, 2014, 11:03 am

I am planning to come. I will bring a tomato dish an $.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 25th, 2014, 9:42 pm

devildeac wrote:Joy, Claire, David John and I will attend. We're contemplating what side item/s to bring. More later.
Broccoli salad. Really, really good broccoli salad. Trust me with this one.
IowaDevil
PWing School Associate Professor
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by IowaDevil » August 25th, 2014, 9:43 pm

OK you're making the Old Ref and I drool! Pix or facetime us at least and ENJOY! :happy-bouncyblue: :ymhug: :9f:
:happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f:
chipslate

Post by chipslate » August 26th, 2014, 7:55 am

Sadly TigerDevil and I will be unable to attend, TD is hosting a bachelorette party in Charleston and I'm heading to Charlottesville to scout UVA (in-division) and UCLA (Duke could face them in the final 4 this year). We'll be there in spirit and if there's any interest I'll break out the laptop at the Kansas game for any remote tailgaters.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » August 26th, 2014, 8:36 am

I'll be there. Mom is going to be on safari in Kruger National Park, so she will miss this tailgate.

Maybe Jon and Christian will be with me. I'll check with them and confirm.

I'll stuff the tip jar.

:9f:
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
allen

Post by allen » August 26th, 2014, 2:59 pm

The Murray family will have 5 attending. We will bring money.

In 1962 Rudy Clark wrote a song (originally recorded by James Ray) called "Got my Mind Set on You". In 1987 George Harrison had a minor hit with his cover version of the same song. "Why is Allen bringing this up?" you might ask. Well, it contains the following lyrics, speaking specifically about the commitment shown by Tim and Chris:

It's gonna take time
A whole lotta precious time
It's gonna take patience and time
To do it right

Later, the lyricist gives specific directions to those who enjoy the repast provided by Mr. Townsend and Mr. Wagner:

But it's gonna take money,
A whole lotta spending money
It's gonna take plenty of money,
To do it right.
August West

Post by August West » August 26th, 2014, 3:36 pm

Party of one. I'll bring beers to taste, share and trade. Also water, 2 cases since it will be a hot day. And dead presidents to help balance the budget. Looking forward to this season, LGD!!!!! AW. :D
30scheyer
I don't know what PWing is.
I don't know what PWing is.

Post by 30scheyer » August 26th, 2014, 5:16 pm

Color us there! Christina, Sunny, Sadie, plus at least 3. I will finalize head count when I hear from Jonathan.
We will bring fruit salad, corn muffins, and pink lemonade cake. We are happy to bring $$$$$ as well.
Crazier than thou
PW in training
PW in training

Post by Crazier than thou » August 26th, 2014, 5:30 pm

O'Connor Clan--party of two (Art and Debbie) Will feed the "tips" jar, consistent with recent discussions.
Bob Green
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by Bob Green » August 26th, 2014, 6:38 pm

chipslate wrote:...I'm heading to Charlottesville to scout UVA (in-division) and UCLA (Duke could face them in the final 4 this year)....
I'm looking forward to reading your Virginia scouting report!
dpslaw

Post by dpslaw » August 26th, 2014, 7:41 pm

Dpslaw + 1 (Tom). We'll bring beer, bucks, and footlong buns for the Costcos.

Oh, and I'll be getting on-field passes (don't know how many yet) and hopefully the previously mentioned Cutcliffe-autographed football!

P.S. It looks like we'll have two extra GA tix that we'll be happy to make available to anyone in our group at cost ($15 each).
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 26th, 2014, 10:32 pm

dpslaw wrote:Dpslaw + 1 (Tom). We'll bring beer, bucks, and footlong buns for the Costcos.

Oh, and I'll be getting on-field passes (don't know how many yet) and hopefully the previously mentioned Cutcliffe-autographed football!

P.S. It looks like we'll have two extra GA tix that we'll be happy to make available to anyone in our group at cost ($15 each).
Duketaylor over on DBR is looking for some tix. He visits here on occasion so I'd send him a PM with this offer.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » August 27th, 2014, 8:11 am

Update:

CathyCA + Jon.

Christian has announced that he's too busy to go to the game, and I'm not inclined to force him to go.

:9f:
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
Cheermom

Post by Cheermom » August 27th, 2014, 4:54 pm

Cheermom +4. Will bring healthy stuff like salad, veggies, fruit, +$$ for the tip jar.
CowboyDevil
PWing as a hobby
PWing as a hobby

Post by CowboyDevil » August 27th, 2014, 9:51 pm

Howdy TBCC, It is a great time to be a Duke Football Fanatic!!!! Reigning Coastal Division Champion Duke Blue Devils ride again!!! Ring that Victory Bell!!! Well to make it official: I will be rocking the tailgate around 2pm. I will have my grill, making TrueBlue Chicken Legs and Thighs, and my Golden Potatoes!!! Plus plates and utensils.

Cowboy, Christian, Heather, Guest; My Brother and his family (4); :duke: