Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

colchar
PWing School Professor

Re: Olympics 2014

Post by colchar » February 21st, 2014, 2:53 pm

windsor wrote:
ArkieDukie wrote:
windsor wrote:... and now they are blaming their coach...

http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/natio ... 52251.html

Seriously - you have beaten a team in TWO YEARS and you whine about your coach now? You don't appeal your level 3 footwork score anytime during the season but now it is a big issue?
Totally nuts. I watched the interview. They feel that Marina wasn't behind them like she was in Vancouver. Whined because Marina wasn't at the Canadian championships with them (she was in Boston with D/W and the Shibs). Do the math, Scott. Two couples at US championships, one at Canadians. Oh, and she didn't march in the opening ceremony with the Canadian team.

If it was such a big problem, they should've changed coaches. Seriously. After these comments, I wouldn't blame Zoueva if she tossed them.
I expect they will retire....if not I am sure Zoueva tosses them. It is not unusual for a coach to have multiple skaters from multiple countries, often competing head to head. If you don't think you are getting a fair shake you find a new coach. If you have an issue, you talk to the coach. Geeez. Virtue/Moir are carrying on like D/W have never won anything until now...and the coach and the judges conspired to screw them over. As I said.. D/W haven't lost in two years This is not news. The Olympics was not an upset - and the time to complain about your coach and your footwork score was two years ago, not now.

1) When the problems arose it was too late to get another coach as the season had already started.
2) The last couple of years there has been all kinds of talk in the skating world about how low the scores have been for Virtue and Moir and a newspaper showed a couple of days ago that one judge has been a judge at every single on of the events in which they have been scored low - and that judge is American.
3) The French magazine that originally reported the story is continuing to dig into it and I expect that, just like with Sale and Pelletier, there is more that will come out about this.
4) Figure skating is a pathetic joke when it comes to the judges...just look at how badly Yuna Kim got fucked over. Even Katarina Witt has said that she doesn't understand what happened and that it is clear that Kim won.
5) The Finnish skater who invented the Finn Step said after the ice dancing that he simply does not understand how the judges could have scored Virtue and Moir so low and the Americans so high since V&M were perfect in the Finn Step and the Americans were not. He invented the freakin' move so he should know a thing or three about it eh? And, more importantly, he doesn't have a horse in this race so isn't biased towards either team.
6) A British commentator that I saw calling the event agreed that Virtue and Moir were far better than their scores indicated. And, like the Finn, she doesn't have a horse in this race either.

But that's fine...the Yanks have to cheat to beat us but, when it comes to sports that are objective, rather than subjective, like hockey, we are clearly better as the last two days, and the last two Olympics, have proven. On Sunday I'll be watching our men's hockey team play for the gold medal to match our women's gold medal while you lot console yourselves with playing for the bronze.

That's it, I'm done and I'm out.
". . . when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."
— Samuel Johnson

----------

2010 & 2012 CTN NASCAR Fantasy League Champion. No lemurs were harmed in the winning of these titles.

----------
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » February 21st, 2014, 4:11 pm

Wow, testy.
Iron Duke #1471997.
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » February 21st, 2014, 5:45 pm

lawgrad91 wrote:Wow, testy.
Sour grapes must have really caused some heartburn.
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » February 21st, 2014, 5:50 pm

As for Skate-gate 2 (the women), it looks like Ashley Wagner is speaking up as well, and USA Today identifies the judging issues as well.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/co ... d/5643143/
And well, Tara certainly raised questions last night, but then had to try to explain and rationalize what had happened.
If the judging is so unclear to the contestants, how could it possibly be clear to those who watch it?
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
DukieInKansas
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » February 23rd, 2014, 12:04 am

Regarding the judges in the ladies singles - the Ukrainian judge was apparently found guilty of conspiring to fix scores in Nagano and was only suspended for 1 year. He should have been banned from judging any type of international competition for life.

Regarding the ice dancers and trouble with their coach - the Americans and Canadians have shared a coach for more than this season. I think it is a little late to complain about that now.

Perhaps the judges scores shouldn't be anonymous - that would make them more responsible for their scores.
Life is good!
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » February 23rd, 2014, 8:13 am

DukieInKansas wrote:Regarding the judges in the ladies singles - the Ukrainian judge was apparently found guilty of conspiring to fix scores in Nagano and was only suspended for 1 year. He should have been banned from judging any type of international competition for life.

Regarding the ice dancers and trouble with their coach - the Americans and Canadians have shared a coach for more than this season. I think it is a little late to complain about that now.

Perhaps the judges scores shouldn't be anonymous - that would make them more responsible for their scores.
The only recently changed TO anonymous because some of the national skating federations retaliated by denying assignments to judges who didn't score their 'native' skaters high enough.
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
DevilWearsPrada2.0
PWing School Professor

Post by DevilWearsPrada2.0 » February 24th, 2014, 12:16 pm

The Closing Ceremony and the performances were awesome last night!
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » February 26th, 2014, 4:32 pm

DevilWearsPrada2.0 wrote:The Closing Ceremony and the performances were awesome last night!
Agreed. I especially liked the fifth Olympic ring! :)) :-BD
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » February 28th, 2014, 9:28 am

Jeff Gordon outdoes himself. It's even better than last year's!! :-BD
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRIgmKGDqFM
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » February 28th, 2014, 9:50 am

Lavabe wrote:Jeff Gordon outdoes himself. It's even better than last year's!! :-BD
meant to put this in the NASCAR thread. :ymblushing:
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » February 28th, 2014, 10:26 am

Lavabe wrote:
Lavabe wrote:Jeff Gordon outdoes himself. It's even better than last year's!! :-BD
The way the Olympics was expanding there for a while, I thought maybe maniacal driving might be the newest sport. :9f:
Iron Duke #1471997.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » February 28th, 2014, 10:53 am

lawgrad91 wrote:
Lavabe wrote:
The way the Olympics was expanding there for a while, I thought maybe maniacal driving might be the newest sport. :9f:
It's already there. It's bobsledding! :D
Bostondevil
Graduate Student at PWing school
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by Bostondevil » March 1st, 2014, 4:20 pm

I have figured out how to fix the judging in figure skating. The skaters should no longer represent a country except in the team event. Each country can still determine who to send to World Championships and Olympic games, but, at the end of the night when the medals are handed out, no national anthems, no flags raised, just applause for the athletes. And we play some of the music from their long program.
The time is out of joint, O cursed spite!