Olympics 2014

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Re: Olympics 2014

Post by Lavabe » February 16th, 2014, 3:32 pm

Just watched the "B" team calling figure skating.
MUCH better. Nice!! Good call, Arkie!! THANK YOU!!
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » February 16th, 2014, 5:55 pm

Lavabe wrote:Just watched the "B" team calling figure skating.
You're very welcome! Always glad to help out and to recruit new members to the Terry/Johnny/Tara fan club. They really are doing a great job. I'll be recording the live coverage of the dance finals tomorrow so I can get their take on things.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » February 16th, 2014, 7:01 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:
Lavabe wrote:Just watched the "B" team calling figure skating.
You're very welcome! Always glad to help out and to recruit new members to the Terry/Johnny/Tara fan club. They really are doing a great job. I'll be recording the live coverage of the dance finals tomorrow so I can get their take on things.

Johnny's Tiara today was fabulous. A tiara. He wore a fucking Tiara. Take that Putin.
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » February 16th, 2014, 8:05 pm

Lavabe wrote:
colchar wrote:What a pathetic fucking joke that sport is - and I use the term sport loosely there. If it cannot be measured, timed, or scored objectively (. putting pucks in the net, scoring baskets, etc.) then it isn't a sport and doesn't belong.
Umm, don't look now, but the Canadians are doing pretty well in judged sports on the slopes. ;)
By the way, Dara Howell... WAY cool performance!! :-BD

Yeah we might be doing well in those vents, but those events shouldn't be there. If something is judged, it does not belong.

And it appears that the fix for the ice dancing is going according to plan, which is absolutely disgusting:

http://www.thestar.com/sports/sochi2014 ... ogram.html
". . . when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."
— Samuel Johnson

----------

2010 & 2012 CTN NASCAR Fantasy League Champion. No lemurs were harmed in the winning of these titles.

----------
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » February 16th, 2014, 8:19 pm

Lavabe wrote:Dear NBC (or is it Time Warner/Comcast Cable?),
You ASSholes!! :Angry Orc:
Don't switch away from US-Russia live men's hockey as it enters overtime, so that you can give me a 20 minute segment recapping Swiss women's hockey.
Sincerely,
Lavabe

If a Canadian network ever tried that with Canada playing not only would their buildings be burned down, but all of their upper management would be killed.

Hockey is a religion here and is the only thing we actually give a shit about in the Olympics.

From the Vancouver Olympics (sorry, not sure how to embed videos here):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuJH2WXJGHI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLAkCN3 ... 8C79E8F5E1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KPqj8Us7sU

And here is part of the street party that erupted in the town I was living in at the time (I wasn't there, I had gone to my parent's place to watch the game with my Dad). There are two universities in the town (three blocks apart) so this was primarily students:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MG3PfwwUPw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plYvnc3X5y4
". . . when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."
— Samuel Johnson

----------

2010 & 2012 CTN NASCAR Fantasy League Champion. No lemurs were harmed in the winning of these titles.

----------
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » February 16th, 2014, 10:09 pm

colchar wrote:
Don't switch away from US-Russia live men's hockey as it enters overtime, so that you can give me a 20 minute segment recapping Swiss women's hockey.
Sincerely,
Lavabe

If a Canadian network ever tried that with Canada playing not only would their buildings be burned down, but all of their upper management would be killed.

Hockey is a religion here and is the only thing we actually give a shit about in the Olympics.

From the Vancouver Olympics (sorry, not sure how to embed videos here):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuJH2WXJGHI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLAkCN3 ... 8C79E8F5E1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KPqj8Us7sU

And here is part of the street party that erupted in the town I was living in at the time (I wasn't there, I had gone to my parent's place to watch the game with my Dad). There are two universities in the town (three blocks apart) so this was primarily students:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MG3PfwwUPw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plYvnc3X5y4
Salt. Open wound. Poured. =(( We will get our revenge (hopefully). :YMPRAY:

On another note, do the Canadian broadcasters talk during the ice skating performances? They do here in the US and it drives me nuts.
I worship the Blue Devil!
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » February 16th, 2014, 10:11 pm

colchar wrote:
Sincerely,
Lavabe

Thanks for the reality check. Still shaking my head! :veryconfused: X(
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » February 17th, 2014, 12:24 pm

Cappelini/Lanotte skated to "The Rabbit of Seville." One of the male skaters, can't remember who, skated to "What's Opera, Doc." I just love that so many teams are skating to music from classic Bugs Bunny cartoons.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
DukieInKansas
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » February 17th, 2014, 1:11 pm

Tilly - as I stated early on and AD just said - if at all possible, record the daytime coverage of skating. Not nearly as much talking.

Apparently, Tara and Johnny are sharing clothes and fashion tips now. I need to google for their interview. Apparently, it was a hoot.
Life is good!
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » February 17th, 2014, 1:25 pm

DukieInKansas wrote:Tilly - as I stated early on and AD just said - if at all possible, record the daytime coverage of skating. Not nearly as much talking.

Apparently, Tara and Johnny are sharing clothes and fashion tips now. I need to google for their interview. Apparently, it was a hoot.
They did not talk at all throughout the top 2 teams. Bravo.
-- Albert Einstein
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » February 17th, 2014, 1:56 pm

colchar wrote:
Lavabe wrote:
colchar wrote:What a pathetic fucking joke that sport is - and I use the term sport loosely there. If it cannot be measured, timed, or scored objectively (. putting pucks in the net, scoring baskets, etc.) then it isn't a sport and doesn't belong.
Umm, don't look now, but the Canadians are doing pretty well in judged sports on the slopes. ;)
By the way, Dara Howell... WAY cool performance!! :-BD

Yeah we might be doing well in those vents, but those events shouldn't be there. If something is judged, it does not belong.

And it appears that the fix for the ice dancing is going according to plan, which is absolutely disgusting:

http://www.thestar.com/sports/sochi2014 ... ogram.html
What that article fails to mention is that they have been a level 3 on that particular Finnstep sequence ALL SEASON - including the Canadian Nationals, Skate Canada and every other major international competition. If you have a sequence continually downgraded then FIX IT and quit whining. Different judges all.

Is the fix in sometimes in skating? You bet. But that article is misleading bullshit.
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » February 17th, 2014, 4:26 pm

Lavabe wrote:
Lavabe wrote:
colchar wrote:And, in typical fashion, there is already a scandal brewing in figure skating as a French magazine is reporting that the Russians and Americans have agreed to prop each other up so that they win their respective titles (team event for Russia, ice dance for the US). The magazine has also said that it has already been decided that the Canadian ice dance pair of Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir (they are past world champions and won the Olympic gold in 2010) will be awarded silver. What a pathetic fucking joke that sport is - and I use the term sport loosely there. If it cannot be measured, timed, or scored objectively (. putting pucks in the net, scoring baskets, etc.) then it isn't a sport and doesn't belong.
Officer Koharski! Paging Officer Koharski! Would you please take away a few goals? :Police: 8-} ;)
Umm, just saw a ref take away a Russian goal vs. the US ... the goal was off its moorings?
I guess we don't need Officer Koharski! :D
Turns out, it wasn't Officer Koharski at work on Saturday... it was an American ref. As Putin stated in response to the incident: "Even if the judge was wrong, we mustn't stick labels on anybody," he said. "We can't forget that sport takes courage, but also luck."

Probably the only time I'll ever quote Putin. Where is Wilson? ;)

Long and short of it: I don't think hockey is scored as objectively as it can be when a judge from one of the two competing teams is reffing the game.
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » February 17th, 2014, 9:54 pm

Lavabe wrote:
CathyCA wrote:I watched some curling this morning when I dropped off my kid at my mom's house. I've decided that during the off season, the curling team would be really good at scrubbing my kitchen floor.

:9f:
But could you put up with all their screaming? :-B ;)
I can't say I ever thought I would post a curling video, but anyway....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFn5Zc8-m-0
Iron Duke #1471997.
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » February 17th, 2014, 10:54 pm

DukieInKansas wrote:Tilly - as I stated early on and AD just said - if at all possible, record the daytime coverage of skating. Not nearly as much talking.

Can't DVR it. Plus I don't have time when I get home to watch. :(
I worship the Blue Devil!
DukieInKansas
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » February 18th, 2014, 1:25 am

lawgrad91 wrote:
Lavabe wrote:
CathyCA wrote:I watched some curling this morning when I dropped off my kid at my mom's house. I've decided that during the off season, the curling team would be really good at scrubbing my kitchen floor.

But could you put up with all their screaming? :-B ;)
I can't say I ever thought I would post a curling video, but anyway....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFn5Zc8-m-0
That's a hoot!
Life is good!
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » February 18th, 2014, 9:29 am

... and now they are blaming their coach...

http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/natio ... 52251.html

Seriously - you have beaten a team in TWO YEARS and you whine about your coach now? You don't appeal your level 3 footwork score anytime during the season but now it is a big issue?
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » February 19th, 2014, 7:32 am

windsor wrote:... and now they are blaming their coach...

Seriously - you have beaten a team in TWO YEARS and you whine about your coach now? You don't appeal your level 3 footwork score anytime during the season but now it is a big issue?
Totally nuts. I watched the interview. They feel that Marina wasn't behind them like she was in Vancouver. Whined because Marina wasn't at the Canadian championships with them (she was in Boston with D/W and the Shibs). Do the math, Scott. Two couples at US championships, one at Canadians. Oh, and she didn't march in the opening ceremony with the Canadian team.

If it was such a big problem, they should've changed coaches. Seriously. After these comments, I wouldn't blame Zoueva if she tossed them.
-- Albert Einstein
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » February 19th, 2014, 8:08 am

ArkieDukie wrote:
windsor wrote:... and now they are blaming their coach...

Totally nuts. I watched the interview. They feel that Marina wasn't behind them like she was in Vancouver. Whined because Marina wasn't at the Canadian championships with them (she was in Boston with D/W and the Shibs). Do the math, Scott. Two couples at US championships, one at Canadians. Oh, and she didn't march in the opening ceremony with the Canadian team.

If it was such a big problem, they should've changed coaches. Seriously. After these comments, I wouldn't blame Zoueva if she tossed them.
I expect they will retire....if not I am sure Zoueva tosses them. It is not unusual for a coach to have multiple skaters from multiple countries, often competing head to head. If you don't think you are getting a fair shake you find a new coach. If you have an issue, you talk to the coach. Geeez. Virtue/Moir are carrying on like D/W have never won anything until now...and the coach and the judges conspired to screw them over. As I said.. D/W haven't lost in two years This is not news. The Olympics was not an upset - and the time to complain about your coach and your footwork score was two years ago, not now.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » February 20th, 2014, 5:50 pm

So... what did Johnny and Tara say?
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » February 21st, 2014, 6:49 am

Lavabe wrote:So... what did Johnny and Tara say?
Dear NBC,
Please retire Hamilton and Bezic. Put in the "A" team of Gannon, Tara, and Johnny.
Thanks,
Lavabe