Duke Vs. FSewwwww

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Duke Vs. FSewwwww

Post by CameronBornAndBred » November 30th, 2013, 5:58 pm

The game everyone was happy we didn't have to play during the season. The game everyone should be happy we have to play now. This is awesome. Absolutely nothing to lose. We can't lose respect. We can't lose fans. We can't lose our happiness. We can only lose a football game...and if I were FSU, I'd be nervous about that. :happy-bouncyblue: :duke:
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Duke Vs. FSewwwww

Post by devildeac » November 30th, 2013, 7:47 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:The game everyone was happy we didn't have to play during the season. The game everyone should be happy we have to play now. This is awesome. Absolutely nothing to lose. We can't lose respect. We can't lose fans. We can't lose our happiness. We can only lose a football game...and if I were FSU, I'd be nervous about that. :happy-bouncyblue: :duke:
Yep. Playing with house money. And, if we lose, I just hope no one gets seriously injured.
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
Bob Green
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by Bob Green » December 1st, 2013, 7:18 am

We have earned the opportunity to play Cinderella and knock off the #1 team in the nation! How great is that?
DukePA
PWing School Associate Professor
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by DukePA » December 1st, 2013, 11:39 am

Bob Green wrote:We have earned the opportunity to play Cinderella and knock off the #1 team in the nation! How great is that?
Epic fairytale great!!!
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » December 1st, 2013, 12:31 pm

DukePA wrote:
Bob Green wrote:We have earned the opportunity to play Cinderella and knock off the #1 team in the nation! How great is that?
Epic fairytale great!!!
We have lots of good bulletin board material already. The AP story about the FSU win over Florida has a line about them playing for the national championship "after they defeat Duke in the ACC Championship Game next weekend." Everyone has already written us off. Suckers. :ymdevil:
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
chipslate
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by chipslate » December 1st, 2013, 12:54 pm

still in absolute shock over this season... can't believe we're playing for the acc championship!!!

what a year!!!
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » December 1st, 2013, 9:34 pm

I'm pretty realistic about this game...I think we have little chance of winning. I don't really care, though; I look at this as nothing but a 100% great opportunity for our program. It will be a blast to celebrate the team, the coaches, and the program, and everything they have all accomplished in the last 6 years. I am very excited about the on-field measuring stick we'll get on Saturday night...how will we respond to the big lights and easily the best team we've played this year? I'm interested to see how that shakes out and immensely proud of our boys for earning the opportunity. I'm really excited to be around Duke people and enjoy the season. This is a great example of the good things athletics can do for Duke's whole community. Lastly, this will be great exposure for our program. We'll be talked about all week before playing in the marquee time slot on football championship weekend! It will be a richly deserved reward to Coach Cutcliffe and the whole team, and it will also play well with recruits and young people who have got to be thinking much more seriously about Duke football now. If we get pounded, so what? We've established a school record for wins already, and it's not like anyone else has come close to FSU either...no big loss there in my eyes. If we play them close, we earn some respect and validation for the season's overall results. And if we pull the shocker, well...my goodness.
This an absolute no-lose situation for Duke football as far as I'm concerned.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » December 1st, 2013, 10:03 pm

wilson wrote:I'm pretty realistic about this game...I think we have little chance of winning. I don't really care, though; I look at this as nothing but a 100% great opportunity for our program. It will be a blast to celebrate the team, the coaches, and the program, and everything they have all accomplished in the last 6 years. I am very excited about the on-field measuring stick we'll get on Saturday night...how will we respond to the big lights and easily the best team we've played this year? I'm interested to see how that shakes out and immensely proud of our boys for earning the opportunity. I'm really excited to be around Duke people and enjoy the season. This is a great example of the good things athletics can do for Duke's whole community. Lastly, this will be great exposure for our program. We'll be talked about all week before playing in the marquee time slot on football championship weekend! It will be a richly deserved reward to Coach Cutcliffe and the whole team, and it will also play well with recruits and young people who have got to be thinking much more seriously about Duke football now. If we get pounded, so what? We've established a school record for wins already, and it's not like anyone else has come close to FSU either...no big loss there in my eyes. If we play them close, we earn some respect and validation for the season's overall results. And if we pull the shocker, well...my goodness.
The only ways we can lose as I see it are:

1. Get monumentally destroyed 63-7 or something like that. Somehow, I don't think that happens.
2. Get a bunch of guys with serious injuries that threaten our bowl game, or, more importantly, their careers.

Otherwise, I agree. We are playing with house money. Remember that 1991 NCAAT semi-final game against that unbeaten and believed-to-be unbeatable unlv team...
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » December 1st, 2013, 10:26 pm

I was in my last year of law school in 1991. I went to Duke Chapel with my buddy Tim to say prayers for the basketball team. I figured it couldn't hurt. Not sure how many Hail Marys and Our Fathers Tim said, but I was finished before he was and picked up a pew Bible and opened it to a random spot. I was surprised to find that my random spot was actually the story of DAVID AND GOLIATH.

Maybe our guys should carry slings and five smooth stones.

Seriously, though, F$U hasn't been challenged much this year. BC is the only team that kept their game within 2 touchdowns. If we can keep it close, they may begin to suffer from tight sphincter syndrome in the late stages of the game. When we have been in tight games this year, since the Pitt game, we have closed it out. :9f:
Iron Duke #1471997.
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » December 1st, 2013, 10:44 pm

lawgrad91 wrote:I was in my last year of law school in 1991. I went to Duke Chapel with my buddy Tim to say prayers for the basketball team. I figured it couldn't hurt. Not sure how many Hail Marys and Our Fathers Tim said, but I was finished before he was and picked up a pew Bible and opened it to a random spot. I was surprised to find that my random spot was actually the story of DAVID AND GOLIATH.
That's an awesome story.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » December 2nd, 2013, 7:47 am

wilson wrote:If we get pounded, so what? We've established a school record for wins already, and it's not like anyone else has come close to FSU either...no big loss there in my eyes. If we play them close, we earn some respect and validation for the season's overall results. And if we pull the shocker, well...my goodness.
:spork:

Totally agree. Would love to shock the world. I think we can play FSU much better than people expect, and if we are lucky, better than FSU expects. We just might catch them flat. My biggest concern will be coming out healthy. LGD!!! :happy-bouncyblue: :duke:
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » December 4th, 2013, 3:37 pm

lawgrad91 wrote:I was in my last year of law school in 1991. I went to Duke Chapel with my buddy Tim to say prayers for the basketball team. I figured it couldn't hurt. Not sure how many Hail Marys and Our Fathers Tim said, but I was finished before he was and picked up a pew Bible and opened it to a random spot. I was surprised to find that my random spot was actually the story of DAVID AND GOLIATH.

Maybe our guys should carry slings and five smooth stones.

Seriously, though, F$U hasn't been challenged much this year. BC is the only team that kept their game within 2 touchdowns. If we can keep it close, they may begin to suffer from tight sphincter syndrome in the late stages of the game. When we have been in tight games this year, since the Pitt game, we have closed it out. :9f:
I am so glad you shared this with us. Maybe its a "sign". :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard:
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » December 5th, 2013, 12:10 pm

http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/id/6 ... big-moment

Nice that we get some love in the espn blogs, because the announcers are killing us. Last time I checked, we have a better chance of beating F$U than VT, or Miami, or GT, or whoever else espn would like to see in the championship game.
Iron Duke #1471997.
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » December 5th, 2013, 9:27 pm

lawgrad91 wrote:http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/id/6 ... big-moment

Nice that we get some love in the espn blogs, because the announcers are killing us. Last time I checked, we have a better chance of beating F$U than VT, or Miami, or GT, or whoever else espn would like to see in the championship game.
"LIKE"
DevilWearsPrada2.0
PWing School Professor

Post by DevilWearsPrada2.0 » December 7th, 2013, 1:54 pm

Let's Go Duke!!!!!!! :happy-bouncyblue: :duke: :happy-bouncyblue: :duke:
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » December 8th, 2013, 8:36 am

Proud of how far we have come, and proud we showed fight after the outcome was no longer in doubt.

Any word on Perry Simmons' knee? :wizard: :pray: :-ss

:9f:
Iron Duke #1471997.
The Football Fan

Post by The Football Fan » December 8th, 2013, 9:33 am

It's being reported that the knee injury was significant...bowl game play in doubt.

Any word on Duncan's shoulder? He took a shot.
DevilWearsPrada2.0
PWing School Professor

Post by DevilWearsPrada2.0 » December 8th, 2013, 12:28 pm

The Football Fan wrote:It's being reported that the knee injury was significant...bowl game play in doubt.

Any word on Duncan's shoulder? He took a shot.
Perry is so crucial to Duke Football, as Jela is! We have 3 weeks to mend the bruises and go Bowling!!!!