New iPhone app to help beat speed traps...

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

bjornolf
PWing School Professor

New iPhone app to help beat speed traps...

Post by bjornolf » July 14th, 2009, 7:45 am

There's now an iPhone app that syncs with your GPS and tells you when you're approaching a speed trap or red light camera.

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/11/2 ... eed-traps/

They were talking about this on the radio yesterday, saying how great they thought it was. People were calling in talking about how the red light cameras and speed trap cameras cause more danger than they prevent, as people who know about them slam on their brakes around them. People were saying they felt it was an unconstitutional way for cities to make money, as they prevent a person from facing their accuser, and they're REALLY annoyed that some insurance companies are trying to get license points added to the infractions (right now it's just a fine). They were also trashing the DC police chief, who said that users of the program are "cowardly". http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/local ... 74717.html I have trouble seeing how using one of these apps is cowardly. To me, it seems smart. She's just pissed cause it'll hurt revenues. According to one website the radio show quoted, the DC area (including a couple VA and MD counties right around DC) has taken in well over $500M over the last three years between red light cameras, speed cameras, and street sweepers equipped with sensors that report parking violations. I mean, these things aren't about safety, they're about making money. You don't even find out you were caught for a month. How does that protect you? And most people just get pissed off by that, it doesn't really change their habits the way the experience of being stopped by a cop might. Not to mention, then the driver knows EXACTLY where the camera is, so he/she can just obey the law around the camera and go back to his/her ways as soon as he/she's past it. The same website that gave the figures said that the vast majority of the money is going back into buying more of this equipment. If they really wanted to protect people, they'd spend the money on hiring and training more police officers. God knows DC could use more of those. Just my $0.02.

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage