Good bye to the track

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Good bye to the track

Post by CameronBornAndBred » May 6th, 2013, 10:44 am

Duke hosted its (probable) last track meet in Wallace Wade this weekend. The stadium has been home to 80 years of track and field history, including one of (if not the) first integrated sports events when Al Buehler and Leroy Walker both used it for Duke's and NCCU's practices.
While reading I learned that football's Austin Gamble also participates in the discus, he walked away a champion on Sunday, breaking his own school record in the process. Here are some links to the meet and a bit of history.

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml? ... EM_ID=4200

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml? ... =207500261
The stadium records alone include the names of eight Olympic champions including Michael Johnson, Shawn Crawford, Dennis Mitchell, Edwin Moses Charles Austin and Michael Conley on the men’s side and Gwen Torrence, Maria Mutola and Faina Melnik on the women’s side. The group of record holders also own over 60 collective Olympic appearances.

Aside from the spotlight of competition, Wallace Wade track also served as the backdrop for integration in the 1950’s when Duke head coach Al Buehler and North Carolina Central coach, the late Dr. LeRoy Walker, joined forces to train their athletes together, regardless of their race. This took place prior to Duke University enrolling its first African-American students in 1963.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
Bob Green
PWing School Endowed Professor

Re: Good bye to the track

Post by Bob Green » May 6th, 2013, 11:08 am

Removing the track is good for football, but a lot of history is going away with the move. I attended a professional track and field event in the mid-seventies at Wallace Wade and Bob Hayes came and sat down right behind me all afternoon. As a big Dallas Cowboys fan, that was exciting.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » May 6th, 2013, 11:12 am

We attended the USA-USSR Track Meet at Wally Wade in the summer of 1974. That was a HUGE deal back then. Most of us had never seen Soviets/Communists, and there they were: running all over Wallace Wade, just like the Americans. Interesting how sports competitions serve to bring us all together by breaking down barriers of misunderstanding.

The most memorable part was seeing a streaker emerge from the stadium and trot across the field. The campus police eventually tackled him and covered him with a blanket, but boy, that guy could run!

:9f:
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » May 6th, 2013, 2:12 pm

CathyCA wrote:We attended the USA-USSR Track Meet at Wally Wade in the summer of 1974. That was a HUGE deal back then. Most of us had never seen Soviets/Communists, and there they were: running all over Wallace Wade, just like the Americans. Interesting how sports competitions serve to bring us all together by breaking down barriers of misunderstanding.

The most memorable part was seeing a streaker emerge from the stadium and trot across the field. The campus police eventually tackled him and covered him with a blanket, but boy, that guy could run!

Ozzie, you didn't tell us about THAT one! Shame on you. Oh, wait, Cathy stated "that guy could run." :ymblushing:
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
DevilWearsPrada2.0
PWing School Professor

Post by DevilWearsPrada2.0 » May 6th, 2013, 2:24 pm

devildeac wrote:
CathyCA wrote:We attended the USA-USSR Track Meet at Wally Wade in the summer of 1974. That was a HUGE deal back then. Most of us had never seen Soviets/Communists, and there they were: running all over Wallace Wade, just like the Americans. Interesting how sports competitions serve to bring us all together by breaking down barriers of misunderstanding.

Ozzie, you didn't tell us about THAT one! Shame on you. Oh, wait, Cathy stated "that guy could run." :ymblushing:
Ozzie could probably RUN back in the day!!! lol

Moving the Track, will enhance FOOTBALL!!!!
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » May 6th, 2013, 2:47 pm

I remember that, I was fascinated by the pole vaulters. I still am.
DukieInKansas
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » May 6th, 2013, 3:03 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:

Oh, my! The inappropriate comments that come to mind. :ymblushing:
Life is good!
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » May 6th, 2013, 3:50 pm

DevilWearsPrada2.0 wrote:
devildeac wrote:

Ozzie could probably RUN back in the day!!! lol

Moving the Track, will enhance FOOTBALL!!!!
Contrary to devildeac's comment, I did not participate in that streak. The two at the end of February 1974 on the main quad and Hanes House, yes! B-) :9f:
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » May 6th, 2013, 4:45 pm

So, I hate to ask but...
is fda somewhere doing a happy dance?

Oh yeah, and where will track run? Did I miss some notification about a new dedicated track stadium? /:)
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » May 6th, 2013, 6:59 pm

DukieInKansas wrote:
CameronBornAndBred wrote:

Oh, my! The inappropriate comments that come to mind. :ymblushing:
It wasn't just me, then! =)) =)) :ymdevil: O:-)
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
DukieInKansas
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » May 6th, 2013, 10:41 pm

I'm glad to know I wasn't the only one. I knew I liked you for a reason. :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :D :D
Life is good!
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » May 7th, 2013, 7:51 am

Lavabe wrote:So, I hate to ask but...

Oh yeah, and where will track run? Did I miss some notification about a new dedicated track stadium? /:)
One would think so...

As for the new track, I think it's going to be on the other side of Koskinen Stadium, but I'm not sure where.

Bob Green

Post by Bob Green » May 7th, 2013, 10:05 am

You can look for him over at The Devils Den: southfloridadevil = Former Duke Athlete. He is whining away about Wallace Wade Stadium and recruiting.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » May 7th, 2013, 10:29 am

Bob Green wrote:
You can look for him over at The Devils Den: southfloridadevil = Former Duke Athlete. He is whining away about Wallace Wade Stadium and recruiting.
:-o
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » May 7th, 2013, 2:03 pm

Bob Green wrote:
Umm, no. I don't think so. :-o :9f:

Bob Green

Post by Bob Green » May 7th, 2013, 3:54 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:Umm, no. I don't think so. :-o :9f:
I stand corrected.