LTE 2.0

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Re: LTE 2.0

Post by CathyCA » May 20th, 2010, 10:21 pm

ExLax called tonight. He wanted to speak to the kid.

Then he emailed me to let me know that he'd bought a new house. Of course, the kids let me know about it 2 months ago.

I went online and pulled the sales information. He bought a house that is half the size of mine for more than twice what I paid for mine. In other words, the price of housing in the Bay Area of California is four times that of the swamps of eastern North Carolina. Oh, and he shares walls with neighbors on two sides. He has no yard to speak of, and his "view" is of I-880.

\:d/ \:d/ \:d/ \:d/ \:d/ This is me doing my happy dance. I'm so grateful to be living in North Carolina again! \:d/ \:d/ \:d/ \:d/ \:d/
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » May 20th, 2010, 10:22 pm

We were recently chosen to fill out those Arbitron diaries. You know, these are the folks who give ratings to radio stations. Arbitron selected us for the area of the Land of the Lost.

All I can say is that WCPE did very well on my wife's diary.
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » May 20th, 2010, 10:26 pm

Lavabe wrote:We were recently chosen to fill out those Arbitron diaries. You know, these are the folks who give ratings to radio stations. Arbitron selected us for the area of the Land of the Lost.

OMG! Christian and I are an Arbitron family this week! We started our diaries today.

He said, "Mom, how am I supposed to fill out my diary when you change the station all the time?"
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » May 20th, 2010, 10:29 pm

CathyCA wrote:
Lavabe wrote:We were recently chosen to fill out those Arbitron diaries. You know, these are the folks who give ratings to radio stations. Arbitron selected us for the area of the Land of the Lost.

OMG! Christian and I are an Arbitron family this week! We started our diaries today.

He said, "Mom, how am I supposed to fill out my diary when you change the station all the time?"
I only listen to NPR. I'd be a boring Arbitronator.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » May 20th, 2010, 10:32 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote: I only listen to NPR. I'd be a boring Arbitronator.
I'm listening to it now. Best radio show (and music) streams from 7-12PM everynight.
http://www.publicradioeast.org/TheSound.html
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » May 20th, 2010, 11:02 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
CameronBornAndBred wrote: I only listen to NPR. I'd be a boring Arbitronator.
I'm listening to it now. Best radio show (and music) streams from 7-12PM everynight.
http://www.publicradioeast.org/TheSound.html
Shouldn't we start a Ymm, Radio thread for this discussion?

:)) =))
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
Miles
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by Miles » May 20th, 2010, 11:18 pm

I don't think posting good morning wishes in the "The Official 'Good Morning' Thread" will take away from the LTE 2.0. I think it will increase the number of posts in this thread. I'll explain.

First, let me state that my hypothesis needs testing and I plan to complete some or all of this testing tomorrow before my eight hour meeting begins at Noon EDT.

My observation: the pace of LTE 2.0 has slowed drastically in the past few months.

My hypothesis: the pace of LTE 2.0 is directly tied to the increase of "Good Morning" postings. I could be wrong, the pace could be consistent with the natural ebb and flow of activity in the thread but it seems as the number of posters wishing good mornings increased, the number of random, higher-count generating posts to LTE 2.0 decreased. I attribute this phenomenon to a lack of inspiration. When I wake up to find nothing interesting in this thread, other than a pleasant "Good Morning" I don't feel like responding. I'm usually reading LTE 2.0 while enjoying my first cup of coffee, and most mornings my brain just hasn't woken up yet so I'm not capable of creating a new topic in the thread. Inevitably, I move on to other threads and get my day started.

I've also noticed that when I come back to LTE 2.0 a few hours later, that same "Good Morning" is still the last/most recent post to the thread. Perhaps others are suffering from the lack of inspiration as well.

I further hypothesize that moving "Good Mornings" to another thread will stimulate other topics in this thread. In a sense, it's like weeding the garden. Weeds are prolific, but they snuff out life of the plants that we care about more. By removing the fast growing weeds, plants of interest collect more sunlight, and consume more nutrients from the soil to grow faster.

I don't mean to imply that "Good Morning" is a weed, it's just an analogy. I look forward to reading, and contributing to, "Good Mornings", just not in this thread.
sMiles
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » May 20th, 2010, 11:21 pm

Miles wrote:I don't think posting good morning wishes in the "The Official 'Good Morning' Thread" will take away from the LTE 2.0. I think it will increase the number of posts in this thread. I'll explain.

First, let me state that my hypothesis needs testing and I plan to complete some or all of this testing tomorrow before my eight hour meeting begins at Noon EDT.

My observation: the pace of LTE 2.0 has slowed drastically in the past few months.

My hypothesis: the pace of LTE 2.0 is directly tied to the increase of "Good Morning" postings. I could be wrong, the pace could be consistent with the natural ebb and flow of activity in the thread but it seems as the number of posters wishing good mornings increased, the number of random, higher-count generating posts to LTE 2.0 decreased. I attribute this phenomenon to a lack of inspiration. When I wake up to find nothing interesting in this thread, other than a pleasant "Good Morning" I don't feel like responding. I'm usually reading LTE 2.0 while enjoying my first cup of coffee, and most mornings my brain just hasn't woken up yet so I'm not capable of creating a new topic in the thread. Inevitably, I move on to other threads and get my day started.

I've also noticed that when I come back to LTE 2.0 a few hours later, that same "Good Morning" is still the last/most recent post to the thread. Perhaps others are suffering from the lack of inspiration as well.

I further hypothesize that moving "Good Mornings" to another thread will stimulate other topics in this thread. In a sense, it's like weeding the garden. Weeds are prolific, but they snuff out life of the plants that we care about more. By removing the fast growing weeds, plants of interest collect more sunlight, and consume more nutrients from the soil to grow faster.

I don't mean to imply that "Good Morning" is a weed, it's just an analogy. I look forward to reading, and contributing to, "Good Mornings", just not in this thread.
Good post and I'm looking forward to seeing how it bears out. If nothing else, it's a geeky experiment.
Miles

Post by Miles » May 20th, 2010, 11:27 pm

Miles wrote:I don't think posting good morning wishes in the "The Official 'Good Morning' Thread" will take away from the LTE 2.0. I think it will increase the number of posts in this thread. I'll explain.

Good post and I'm looking forward to seeing how it bears out. If nothing else, it's a geeky experiment.
Exactly. For the most part, I've got a calm few hours between 7:00 - 12:00 every morning, then the west coast gets going and things get hectic. Add to that an eight hour meeting and I don't mind taking it easy for the first few hours. Gives me plenty of time for some data mining and analysis; similar to the time I compiled the statistics for Your Average DBR Poster.
sMiles
Miles

Post by Miles » May 20th, 2010, 11:33 pm

I'm already noticing a promising trend.
There were 12 posts in between the first "Good Morning" post on May 19 and the first "Good Morning" post on May 20.
There have been 17 posts since the first "Good Morning" post on May 20, 13 of those occurred after my post hypothesizing the cause of the decreased pace.
sMiles
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » May 20th, 2010, 11:56 pm

CathyCA wrote:

I only listen to NPR. I'd be a boring Arbitronator.
My wife listens to WCPE (a North Carolina station) over the internet. Glad to see that classical music from NORTH CAROLINA will win in the Land of the Lost.

I put down an oldies station and WEKU, the local public broadcasting station (run by the university).
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » May 21st, 2010, 12:00 am

Miles wrote:I'm already noticing a promising trend.
There were 12 posts in between the first "Good Morning" post on May 19 and the first "Good Morning" post on May 20.
There have been 17 posts since the first "Good Morning" post on May 20, 13 of those occurred after my post hypothesizing the cause of the decreased pace.
I'm wondering if there should be an anti-matter Good Morning thread. That way when mods eventually say that the two threads should merge, not unlike when matter hits anti-matter we'd have a nuclear explosion of posts. :-B
Miles

Post by Miles » May 21st, 2010, 12:35 am

Lavabe wrote:
Miles wrote:I'm already noticing a promising trend.
I'm wondering if there should be an anti-matter Good Morning thread. That way when mods eventually say that the two threads should merge, not unlike when matter hits anti-matter we'd have a nuclear explosion of posts. :-B
I watched a pretty cool show about creating a star here on earth. The general consensus was that we'll be able to achieve sustained fusion sometime around 2030.
sMiles
Miles

Post by Miles » May 21st, 2010, 12:36 am

I miss DA. Where has she been?
sMiles
Miles

Post by Miles » May 21st, 2010, 12:37 am

I miss Bostondevil. Where has she been?
sMiles
Miles

Post by Miles » May 21st, 2010, 12:37 am

I miss Sue. She has been lurking.
sMiles
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » May 21st, 2010, 6:45 am

Part of the drop off could be due to our missing members. 8-X took some time off, as have DA and Bostondevil and Sue. She's having too much fun in sin city. ;)

[tongue in cheek]

Of course, just playing devil's advocate, but if my boring "good morning" is the ONLY thing you see when you log on in the morning, then you'd still have to start your own interesting topic. It's not like I have a single, damn, interesting thing to say. I'm still :(( every day about my mommy. =((

But, if you wanna take away my one contribution to the LTE, then I'm game.

[/tongue in cheek]

@};-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
DukeUsul
PWing School Assistant Professor
PWing School Assistant Professor

Post by DukeUsul » May 21st, 2010, 7:46 am

Time to pack. Drive Charlotte. Night at a friends house. Then Aruba time!
-- DukeUsul
Miles

Post by Miles » May 21st, 2010, 7:51 am

bjornolf wrote:Part of the drop off could be due to our missing members. 8-X took some time off, as have DA and Bostondevil and Sue. She's having too much fun in sin city. ;)

[tongue in cheek]

Of course, just playing devil's advocate, but if my boring "good morning" is the ONLY thing you see when you log on in the morning, then you'd still have to start your own interesting topic. It's not like I have a single, damn, interesting thing to say. I'm still :(( every day about my mommy. =((

But, if you wanna take away my one contribution to the LTE, then I'm game.

[/tongue in cheek]

@};-
I enjoy your 'good morning', they're not boring, just uninspiring and there is a difference. I can't start my own threads, because I lack brain power that's stimulated by caffeine. But your post this morning as already served a greater purpose.

You're selling yourself short. Sharing your feelings is interesting. It's real. It's cleansing and I'm glad you said that you're still hurting over your mom. Thanks for sharing that. I'm so sorry about your loss and if you ever need to pour it on or talk about it, I hope you know that we're all here to listen and support you.

Take care.
sMiles
Miles

Post by Miles » May 21st, 2010, 7:52 am

DukeUsul wrote:Time to pack. Drive Charlotte. Night at a friends house. Then Aruba time!
So I guess it really is a good morning for you. Take lots of pictures and make us jealous.
sMiles