ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Re: LTE 2.0

Post by ArkieDukie » April 3rd, 2022, 8:54 pm

TillyGalore2.0 wrote:
April 3rd, 2022, 10:48 am
I’m baaaaaaaaaack!!! :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue:
Yay! Welcome back! :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue:
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » April 3rd, 2022, 9:59 pm

TillyGalore2.0 wrote:
Yay! Welcome home! :9f:
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » April 4th, 2022, 11:50 am

TillyGalore2.0 wrote:
Welcome back! :9f:
Iron Duke #1471997.
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » October 20th, 2022, 9:12 am

Its 60 in Clearwater FL today - after months of 90 it feels wonderful. Dogs are doing the 'cool weather zooms' in the yard.
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » November 6th, 2022, 7:21 am

Y’all. Arkansas lost to Liberty yesterday. :twitch: Is Liberty that good, or is Arkansas that bad?
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
TillyGalore2.0
I don't know what PWing is.
I don't know what PWing is.

Post by TillyGalore2.0 » February 16th, 2023, 12:53 pm

I am shocked to find the LTE 2.0 thread on the second page. So, I'm doing my part to bring it back to the top.

Greetings from Baltimore, where it just started raining.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » February 17th, 2023, 8:25 am

TillyGalore2.0 wrote:
February 16th, 2023, 12:53 pm
I am shocked to find the LTE 2.0 thread on the second page. So, I'm doing my part to bring it back to the top.

Greetings from Baltimore, where it just started raining.
Great to see you here, Tilly! :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue:

Yesterday was cold and rainy in storm. It’s supposed to warm up into the upper 30s today.
-- Albert Einstein
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » February 17th, 2023, 8:35 am

Here’s my fun story for the week. I am corresponding author for a review article that was just accepted for publication. I got an email earlier in the week from the (outsourced) publication team, notifying me that publication had been suspended because I had referred to Table 2 but had not provided it. I figured I had mistakenly cited the one table I did provide by the wrong number, so I searched for the term in our paper. It occurred in one place: “(please see Table 2 in reference [1] for a complete list of …)”. Yep, the reference was to a table in a different paper. Nothing I said made a difference; the data manager would not understand that I was referring to a table in one of my references. I finally ended up omitting “Table 2 in” so that they would restart the publication process. :twitch:

I should add that what I wrote is no uncommon. I guess having software tag something out of context and having humans who are incapable of understanding that it’s an erroneous tag is the new normal. :Boo:
-- Albert Einstein
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » March 12th, 2023, 7:07 pm

I was curious about the chair of the selection committee, so I looked him up on the Bradley U website. As it turns out, he was a team captain for the Indiana team that we beat in the 1992 Final Four. Could this partially explain how we ended up as a 5 seed, traveling to Orlando, rather than playing in Greensboro? On the bright side, the lack of respect shown by the slelction committee should serve as solid motivation for the team.
-- Albert Einstein
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » March 12th, 2023, 11:52 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:
March 12th, 2023, 7:07 pm
I was curious about the chair of the selection committee, so I looked him up on the Bradley U website. As it turns out, he was a team captain for the Indiana team that we beat in the 1992 Final Four. Could this partially explain how we ended up as a 5 seed, traveling to Orlando, rather than playing in Greensboro? On the bright side, the lack of respect shown by the slelction committee should serve as solid motivation for the team.
Unless it was another selection committee member, bubba the cheater from down the road.

Quite the interesting discovery. X(
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » March 13th, 2023, 2:36 pm

devildeac wrote:
March 12th, 2023, 11:52 pm
ArkieDukie wrote:
March 12th, 2023, 7:07 pm
Unless it was another selection committee member, bubba the cheater from down the road.

Quite the interesting discovery. X(
They were probably like-minded. That would make it an additive effect.
-- Albert Einstein
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » October 19th, 2023, 9:04 am

I found out yesterday that my promotion to Associate Professor was approved by my department. This would normally be exciting, but I’m now 13 months into the process. My division didn’t look at my materials until 6 months after I submitted them. The department took another 7 months. It has at least 2 more levels of bureaucracy to go. So, final approval should come sometime next year for a process that started last September.

Do promotions take this long outside of academia?
-- Albert Einstein
Phredd3
Full Time Student at PWing school

Post by Phredd3 » October 19th, 2023, 3:46 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:
October 19th, 2023, 9:04 am
I found out yesterday that my promotion to Associate Professor was approved by my department. This would normally be exciting, but I’m now 13 months into the process. My division didn’t look at my materials until 6 months after I submitted them. The department took another 7 months. It has at least 2 more levels of bureaucracy to go. So, final approval should come sometime next year for a process that started last September.

Not usually, but most other places don't have tenure, either. The tenure decision is a huge financial commitment for the school. It'll be much quicker to go from Associate to Full than is was from Assistant to Associate.
OPK
Graduate Student at PWing school
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by OPK » October 19th, 2023, 6:26 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:

Congratulations, to the maximum extent allowable under the bureaucratic circumstances!
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » October 20th, 2023, 8:58 am

Congrats AD! :9f:
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » October 20th, 2023, 9:30 am

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
October 20th, 2023, 8:58 am
Congrats AD! :9f:
That's APAD. :D
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
Phredd3

Post by Phredd3 » October 20th, 2023, 1:07 pm

Phredd3 wrote:
October 19th, 2023, 3:46 pm
ArkieDukie wrote:

Not usually, but most other places don't have tenure, either. The tenure decision is a huge financial commitment for the school. It'll be much quicker to go from Associate to Full than is was from Assistant to Associate.
Lest I seem inconsiderate for not congratulating you in the first place, I realize that that the process is not final. Departmental approval is usually the biggest step, but there's bureaucracy left to go. Please do post when the new appointment is official!
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » October 21st, 2023, 6:46 am

Phredd3 wrote:
ArkieDukie wrote:

I’m research track rather than investigator (tenure) track, and I think that’s why it has taken so long. Investigator track and clinicians are in line ahead of me. In my division, I would’ve been considered after the investigator track people (but I don’t know who else was up). Then, going to the larger department, I’d go to the back of the line again - this time behind clinicians, too. I shudder to think how long the faculty executive committee will take. The email said it would be at their Nov 1 meeting, but I cannot see them approving it that quickly, given how long everything else has taken.
-- Albert Einstein
Phredd3

Post by Phredd3 » October 21st, 2023, 8:20 am

ArkieDukie wrote:
October 21st, 2023, 6:46 am
Phredd3 wrote:
ArkieDukie wrote:

I’m research track rather than investigator (tenure) track, and I think that’s why it has taken so long. Investigator track and clinicians are in line ahead of me. In my division, I would’ve been considered after the investigator track people (but I don’t know who else was up). Then, going to the larger department, I’d go to the back of the line again - this time behind clinicians, too. I shudder to think how long the faculty executive committee will take. The email said it would be at their Nov 1 meeting, but I cannot see them approving it that quickly, given how long everything else has taken.
Ah, got it. Still, if the department is OK with it, faculty and executive committees are usually rubber stamps (once you can get on their respective agendas). Occasional exceptions, of course, but rare. Unfortunately, the raise doesn't usually come until the final approval. Good luck, and may it be speedy from here.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » November 8th, 2023, 7:36 am

Update: I ran into my division chief on the elevator. He congratulated me on my promotion being official. I told him thanks, but it’s got several layers of bureaucracy to go before it’s official. He seemed surprised to hear this and responded with something like, oh, well, the process does normally take around 6 months. You know I clarified that one with, “Actually, it’s been over a year now.” He responded with something about celebrating when it’s approved “in November.” Internally, I rolled my eyes. It’s November now and still isn’t final, and it’s not likely to be. Totally oblivious. I’m still confused as to why they think it’s okay that we are now 4 months past the date when the promotion was supposed to take effect, and it’s not approved yet. This process is seriously broken, and not just here.

On the plus side, I did hear yesterday that the faculty executive committee approved my promotion “enthusiastically and unanimously.” Now it goes to the chancellor, then the Board of Trustees.
-- Albert Einstein