LTE 2.0

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Re: LTE 2.0

Post by ArkieDukie » July 7th, 2020, 6:33 am

Did anyone else watch Hamilton over the weekend? What did you think? I fell asleep the first time I watched it but not when I rewatched. I enjoyed it.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
DukieInKansas
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » July 7th, 2020, 10:04 am

I ended up not watching it with the family as I was running a fever - thought it was more related to 2 hours no the lake and not drinking enough water but didn't want to take the chance. Fever was back down before I went to bed and stayed there overnight so got together on the 4th.

Fortunately, Max shared the log in info so I got to watch it. I enjoyed it. I want to watch it again, if I can, as I'm sure I missed things.
Life is good!
IowaDevil
PWing School Associate Professor
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by IowaDevil » July 7th, 2020, 11:08 am

We watched it...acting great, enjoyed the music but the play itself was iffy in my world.
:happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f:
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » July 7th, 2020, 6:03 pm

LOVED Hamilton!

I have been lucky to see a lot of musicals (both Broadway and National Touring Companies) and it was far and away the very best.
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » July 11th, 2020, 6:43 pm

I LOVED King George. I saw an interview in which Lin-Manuel Miranda described how the idea came to him. King George’s songs are parodies of bad breakup songs. Just brilliant. And, Jonathan Groff chewed the scenery. Apparently he was channeling a Hollywood diva of old. Cannot remember which one.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » August 1st, 2020, 3:10 pm

Hello? Anyone here?
-- Albert Einstein
OPK
Graduate Student at PWing school
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by OPK » August 1st, 2020, 3:18 pm

Hamilton was excellent. I was not on-board for the first few songs, but man — that is some pretty strong artwork and performance/production.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » August 1st, 2020, 3:22 pm

OPK wrote:
August 1st, 2020, 3:18 pm
Hamilton was excellent. I was not on-board for the first few songs, but man — that is some pretty strong artwork and performance/production.
Agreed! It’s actually better when you rewatch. I’ve listened to the soundtrack a few times; that helps.
-- Albert Einstein
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 1st, 2020, 9:54 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:
August 1st, 2020, 3:22 pm
OPK wrote:
Agreed! It’s actually better when you rewatch. I’ve listened to the soundtrack a few times; that helps.
We listened to it as we read the lyrics almost 3 times (it is *not* easy to understand) before seeing it at the Durham Performing Arts Center last year and thought it was brilliant. Haven't signed up for the Disney Channel yet to see the original Broadway cast performance; maybe while our daughter and her family are OOT this week...

:ymblushing:
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » August 1st, 2020, 10:08 pm

devildeac wrote:
August 1st, 2020, 9:54 pm

We listened to it as we read the lyrics almost 3 times (it is *not* easy to understand) before seeing it at the Durham Performing Arts Center last year and thought it was brilliant. Haven't signed up for the Disney Channel yet to see the original Broadway cast performance; maybe while our daughter and her family are OOT this week...

When we were kids, we went to the UK on a two week trip. During that time we went and saw Shakespeare plays performed both in Bath and in London. My dad before each show bought paperback versions, and we spent a day or two while in the car reading the play out loud. (I think I was like 10, my sister was 8.)
There is NO way that I would have understood anything going on without doing that ahead of time. And it's likely, there's no way I'd understand now without doing the same thing.
Probably would have helped with Hamilton, ha! I got it much better than my girlfriend did. Irony, she was more excited than I was before we started watching. She lost interest within 10 minutes; simply not her style. (She did watch all of it, though.)
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » August 1st, 2020, 10:18 pm

devildeac wrote:
ArkieDukie wrote:
OPK wrote:
Definitely worthwhile. And, Jimmy Fallon and The Roots, plus the original Broadway cast, did a great rendition of “Helpless.” It’s on YouTube.
-- Albert Einstein
CrazyNotCrazie
Full Time Student at PWing school
Full Time Student at PWing school

Post by CrazyNotCrazie » August 1st, 2020, 10:34 pm

devildeac wrote:
ArkieDukie wrote:
OPK wrote:

I saw Hamilton on Broadway and loved it but was completely exhausted afterwards from the energy involved in paying attention so closely to take in all of the lyrics and meaning. I watched it on Disney Plus with my son who had heard the music some but had never seen the show. We watched it with subtitles and we both found it to be really helpful. The downside is that you are reading, which makes it a bit harder to concentrate on the acting. But it is a lot easier to follow the lyrics. I thought it was incredible both in the theater and on TV.

I am hoping that at some point they revive In the Heights, Lin Manuel-Miranda's first show. I saw it 10+ years ago and it was also excellent.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » August 1st, 2020, 10:39 pm

https://youtu.be/vo_s6PsVogI
Jimmy Fallon and The Roots, with the original Broadway cast of Hamilton
-- Albert Einstein
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » August 2nd, 2020, 10:59 pm

Played with my telescope tonight. Clear skies before Isaias starts moving in tomorrow evening.
FullMoon1.jpg
shereec
PWing School Professor

Post by shereec » August 3rd, 2020, 6:02 am

Good morning!
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » August 3rd, 2020, 6:57 am

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
August 2nd, 2020, 10:59 pm
Played with my telescope tonight. Clear skies before Isaias starts moving in tomorrow evening.

FullMoon1.jpg
Oooh - nice shot! Very well done! Will this make its way into a painting?
-- Albert Einstein
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » August 3rd, 2020, 8:41 am

ArkieDukie wrote:
August 3rd, 2020, 6:57 am

FullMoon1.jpg
That’s a great idea! Hope so! You could take some artistic license and put :9f: on the surface! B-) :9f:
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » August 3rd, 2020, 9:03 am

ArkieDukie wrote:
August 3rd, 2020, 6:57 am

FullMoon1.jpg
No to the painting. If I do paint the moon, it will be a bit more romantic than a single shot. But getting that photo was pretty cool!
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » August 7th, 2020, 7:50 am

I’ve lived in my house for 1 year, 3 months, and did my second mortgage refinance yesterday. I have a fantastic mortgage banker who contacts me anytime it’s worth my while to do so. I was super excited to lock in at 3.125% for 25 years. Then, on Monday, I got a message from her that I could pay a $350 renegotiation fee and drop the rate down to 2.75%. I jumped all over that. I now have a lower interest rate for a 25 year mortgage, and my payment is around $7 less than when I had a 30 year mortgage. :happy-bouncyblue:

So, in summary, if you are making mortgage payments, this is a REALLY good time to refinance.
-- Albert Einstein
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » August 9th, 2020, 7:43 am

The shingles vaccine is no joke. I got the second shot on Friday and was sick all day yesterday. Had body aches and ran a 102 fever for most of the day. Slept for most of the day, too. Did anyone else experience something similar?

From what I’ve heard, having shingles is far worse.
-- Albert Einstein