Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Re: an interesting dilemma...

Post by CathyCA » August 6th, 2019, 8:50 am

ArkieDukie wrote:
August 5th, 2019, 6:57 pm
So, the PI talked to the postdoc, who then came and talked to me. I completely misunderstood what he did, and it was nowhere near as bad as he made it sound in the meeting. (He said table when he had created multiple separate sheets in an excel workbook.) All is well. Whew!

If I had talked to the postdoc first, as was my original intent, I could’ve cleared things up more quickly. However, now they both know that I need to be kept in the loop on changes with my data. That is the best outcome.
I hope that they BOTH remember to keep you in the loop henceforth and forevermore.

:9f:
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » October 27th, 2021, 10:26 am

I had to resurrect this thread to tell y’all my big news, because it seems appropriate to put it here. During the covid lockdown, I wrote a paper in which I rebutted two very high profile papers. I downloaded and re-analyzed some of their data and demonstrated why their conclusions were wrong. Not fraudulent, just careless. One (published in Science, no less) was so bad that it should be retracted.

Yesterday, I received a departmental award for Outstanding Paper of the Year for this work. I couldn’t help but think back on so many things, among them the circumstances of my last departure from Wash U. Karma?
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » October 27th, 2021, 11:12 am

That's awesome, congrats!!

:ymapplause: :-B :dance:
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
OPK
Graduate Student at PWing school
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by OPK » October 27th, 2021, 11:36 am

ArkieDukie wrote:
October 27th, 2021, 10:26 am
I had to resurrect this thread to tell y’all my big news, because it seems appropriate to put it here. During the covid lockdown, I wrote a paper in which I rebutted two very high profile papers. I downloaded and re-analyzed some of their data and demonstrated why their conclusions were wrong. Not fraudulent, just careless. One (published in Science, no less) was so bad that it should be retracted.

Yesterday, I received a departmental award for Outstanding Paper of the Year for this work. I couldn’t help but think back on so many things, among them the circumstances of my last departure from Wash U. Karma?
Congrats, and way to go!!!
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » October 28th, 2021, 9:22 am

ArkieDukie wrote:

That is fantastic! Congratulations! :9f:
Iron Duke #1471997.
Phredd3
Full Time Student at PWing school
Full Time Student at PWing school

Post by Phredd3 » October 28th, 2021, 12:57 pm

Congratulations, and thanks for the thread resurrection. I hadn't heard of this place in 2011 (you folks go back a ways!), but that was a very interesting story. I like the capstone on it even better!
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » October 29th, 2021, 5:06 am

ArkieDukie wrote:

Mazel Tov! B-) :9f:
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » November 12th, 2021, 2:08 pm

Well clearly I need to come by more often. This is freaking awesome
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » November 13th, 2021, 9:44 am

windsor wrote:
November 12th, 2021, 2:08 pm
Well yes. Yes you do! :9f:
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » December 13th, 2021, 7:49 pm

windsor wrote:
November 12th, 2021, 2:08 pm
Thanks!
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
DukieInKansas
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » January 6th, 2022, 9:33 pm

Congratulations!
Life is good!