Ahh, the summer haircut.

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

wilson
PWing School Professor

Ahh, the summer haircut.

Post by wilson » May 14th, 2009, 12:10 am

About this time every year, I really start to jones for my short, easy, oh-so-comfortable summer haircut (buzz). It's something of a recent phenomenon for me (just the last couple of years), but I kind of love it. Usually, I just wake up one day and am totally sick of my usual fall-winter-spring moptop/fratboy 'do. Then I summarily shear it off with clippers. It's pretty easy, it only takes 15 minutes or so, and it's free.
Anyway, tonight was the night. I just got back into Atlanta at around 10:00. I had been in Florida assisting my uncle on one of his photography jobs, and I got totally sick of my hair while we were there (it was really shaggy, even by my standards). So it's gone, shaved off (on a "5," for those of you who were wondering...when I touch it up in a few weeks, I'll probably bump it down to 4, or perhaps even 3 if I'm feeling wild).
Now I feel like I lost ten pounds and it looks like a poor Tribble exploded on our patio.
colchar
PWing School Professor

Re: Ahh, the summer haircut.

Post by colchar » May 14th, 2009, 12:12 am

I started shaving my head years ago and absolutely have to shave it regularly during the summer as I can't stand the extra heat when I've got even a bit of hair (think five o'clock shadow on the head).
". . . when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."
— Samuel Johnson

----------

2010 & 2012 CTN NASCAR Fantasy League Champion. No lemurs were harmed in the winning of these titles.

----------
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » May 14th, 2009, 8:44 am

I let my hair grow past my shoulders so I could put it up while on my vacation and over the summer. Being able to put long hair in a pony tail is easier than styling short hair. Course if my hair was short, it really wouldn't take long to do, but having longer hair makes me feel more feminine.
I worship the Blue Devil!
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » May 14th, 2009, 9:08 am

I have a mohawk, so the sides of my head are shaved. Very nice in the summer.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » May 6th, 2010, 1:38 pm

I just executed the 2010 volume of the summer haircut.
Feels like heaven.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » May 6th, 2010, 2:07 pm

I'll be getting my visa photo summer cut in the next 24 hours. I'll get my next one after that in Madagascar. A good cut and a neck/shoulder massage for $8. The benefits of speaking French!!
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
knights68
Full Time Student at PWing school

Post by knights68 » May 7th, 2010, 7:37 am

In years (decades actually) passed, I had a tradition that twice a year (Feb and Nov) I'd get a close-cropped crew cut. So cool and freeing, I loved it.

Then once upon a time I met a person who became extremely important in my life. And she once commented that such a haircut made me look like a serial killer. :-o
So naturally I wanted to keep getting my hair cut like that! :))

Now I think she i shappy with my bi-annual hair cut that is somewhat short, professional, business looking kind of short but not scalp-revealing kind of short! :))

Nowadays, I seem to have two people who insist on enjoying my head of hair.
My girlfriend and my boss at work. Yeah, go figure :-?
And when I cut my hair somewhat short, well.... they are taken aback and it takes 'em a few days to come to accept it. But I no longer cut it VERY short like the thrilling days of yesteryear.

I wonder sometimes what their reaction would be if I showed up in a mohawk, or maybe a complete cueball (two things I considered in the past but am not brave enough nor do I think I could pull off the look).
Rolvix
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by Rolvix » May 8th, 2010, 2:49 pm

I usually buzz my hair sometime between January and April and let it grow out all summer. It turns blonde and is usually around my eyebrows before I cut it again in the fall.
Class of 2014
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » May 8th, 2010, 3:04 pm

I will be having my hair cut tonight...my sides are getting long and I notice it in the heat. I won't ever cut my hair short again, I'll be going to the grave with my mohawk.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » May 8th, 2010, 3:37 pm

Christian got his summer haircut today.

My summer haircut/color/highlights will be on May 20, IIRC.
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » May 8th, 2010, 3:52 pm

CathyCA wrote:Christian got his summer haircut today.

Are you getting the buzz cut or the mohawk?

:)) =))
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » May 8th, 2010, 3:56 pm

devildeac wrote:
CathyCA wrote:Christian got his summer haircut today.

Are you getting the buzz cut or the mohawk?

:)) =))
Very funny. ;)
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
Jesus_hurley

Post by Jesus_hurley » May 9th, 2010, 10:37 pm

I go with a '3' year round. I cut it myself about every 6 weeks and my wife takes care of my neck
Ima Facultiwyfe
PWing School Professor

Post by Ima Facultiwyfe » May 10th, 2010, 8:16 am

CameronBornAndBred wrote:I will be having my hair cut tonight...my sides are getting long and I notice it in the heat. I won't ever cut my hair short again, I'll be going to the grave with my mohawk.
The OP would like to know your plan for holding onto enough hair to HAVE a mohawk til you're ready for that grave! ;) ;)
Love, Ima ~O)
"We will never NEVER go away." -- D. Cutcliffe
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » May 10th, 2010, 8:20 am

Ima Facultiwyfe wrote:
CameronBornAndBred wrote:I will be having my hair cut tonight...my sides are getting long and I notice it in the heat. I won't ever cut my hair short again, I'll be going to the grave with my mohawk.
The OP would like to know your plan for holding onto enough hair to HAVE a mohawk til you're ready for that grave! ;) ;)
Love, Ima ~O)
Well..I'm 40 and I still have all of the hair I had at 20, so I don't think it's going anywhere. :-ss
Miles
PWing School Associate Professor
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by Miles » May 10th, 2010, 8:29 am

I took care of the summer hair on Thursday before we set out for Cumberland Island in Georgia. There is something really satisfying about using the same guard(less) clippers to keep the head and beard the same length. I am a fan of efficiency.
sMiles
Turk
Part Time Student at PWing school
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by Turk » May 11th, 2010, 6:38 pm

The self-inflicted haircut is really tempting - I bet I can do this. I change the brakes and oil on my cars - why can't I do a haircut? These numbers are standard right? If I get a drugstore pair of clippers, they have a "Haircuts for Dummies" book in there?
"The idea is that you are better today than you were yesterday."
knights68

Post by knights68 » May 11th, 2010, 8:40 pm

Turk wrote:The self-inflicted haircut is really tempting - I bet I can do this. I change the brakes and oil on my cars - why can't I do a haircut? These numbers are standard right? If I get a drugstore pair of clippers, they have a "Haircuts for Dummies" book in there?
I'd go with the clipper set. They come with a little booklet and show ya all the cool settings. If ya like a close-cropped do, choose the #1 or #2 setting. Yeah, nice smooth and streamlined! lol
The longer the hair (by 1/4 in increments I believe) the larger the number of clipper attachment.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » May 11th, 2010, 11:16 pm

Turk wrote:The self-inflicted haircut is really tempting - I bet I can do this. I change the brakes and oil on my cars - why can't I do a haircut? These numbers are standard right? If I get a drugstore pair of clippers, they have a "Haircuts for Dummies" book in there?
Don't do it! Spend the money and get a stylist to help you.

~ James Naismith
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » May 13th, 2010, 1:27 am

CathyCA wrote:
Don't do it! Spend the money and get a stylist to help you.
If you want a regular haircut, then yeah, go see someone who knows what they're doing. But never, ever, ever pay for a buzz cut. The money you'd pay for it would buy you a set of clippers, and there is honestly not any technique involved.