Cut, a Blue Devil "for a very long time"

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Re: Cut, UT

Post by TillyGalore » January 15th, 2010, 9:55 am

bjornolf wrote:
TillyGalore wrote:ESPN is reporting Coach Cut took his name out of the running.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4828327

Still waiting for confirmation.
Why are you waiting for confirmation? The link that you posted has a quote from Cut saying he's staying. That's not confirmation enough?

%%-
I was waiting for Duke to put something out there. Jeesh!

Pardon me for still holding my breath that the same news organizations, perhaps not ESPN, that were reporting he was gone, were now reporting he was staying. After all the see-sawing, I wanted something from either Tennessee or Duke. And, I got it.
I worship the Blue Devil!
Devil in the Blue Dress
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by Devil in the Blue Dress » January 15th, 2010, 9:59 am

wilson wrote:
EarlJam wrote: Not sure if it's signed (or not signed) on the dotted line yet, but things certainly are looking much better!

-EarlJam
We're good, man. The Duke athletic department and Cutcliffe himself have both released statements saying he's staying in Durham. ESPN is reporting it. WRAL has it. The Chronicle has it.
This truly blows my mind. I am getting chills at the thought that Tennessee wanted our football coach, someone with deep roots in Knoxville, and he said no.
David Cutcliffe has just skyrocketed in my pantheon of Duke people. He may be a Tennessee native, but he's a Duke guy. He just gets the way we try to do things, in a way that most people (like, say, a Lane Kiffin) won't ever understand. For his football skills, but just as importantly, for his commitment to young people's lives and to a sustained, devoted effort, we are immensely lucky to have him.
And this seals it...I will be at this fall's season opener, screaming my freaking head off when he comes through the tunnel.
What a great day.
Coach Cutcliffe has ties to east Tennessee over a period of three decades, but he's not a Tennessee native. He's from Birmingham, AL and an Alabama alum.

Despite the heartache this soap opera brought on (my reaction), the result is a great affirmation of Coach Cutliffe's integrity and his priorities related to his staff and Duke.

I hope he's recognized at the men's basketball game Sunday evening!
EarlJam
PWing School Associate Professor
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by EarlJam » January 15th, 2010, 10:00 am

wilson wrote:
EarlJam wrote: Not sure if it's signed (or not signed) on the dotted line yet, but things certainly are looking much better!

-EarlJam
We're good, man. The Duke athletic department and Cutcliffe himself have both released statements saying he's staying in Durham. ESPN is reporting it. WRAL has it. The Chronicle has it.
This truly blows my mind. I am getting chills at the thought that Tennessee wanted our football coach, someone with deep roots in Knoxville, and he said no.
David Cutcliffe has just skyrocketed in my pantheon of Duke people. He may be a Tennessee native, but he's a Duke guy. He just gets the way we try to do things, in a way that most people (like, say, a Lane Kiffin) won't ever understand. For his football skills, but just as importantly, for his commitment to young people's lives and to a sustained, devoted effort, we are immensely lucky to have him.
And this seals it...I will be at this fall's season opener, screaming my freaking head off when he comes through the tunnel.
What a great day.
Great points, and just think how the players will react on the field. Maybe this was all a Coach Kesque motivational tactic? Nahhhhh - but it could turn out to work that way? I too am going to try to make more games next year.

Oh, and is it time to make, "I Said 'NO' to Hamilton" T-Shirts? (Kidding. I know Lane put him between an iceberg and a hard place).

-EarlJam

P.S. Wilson, let's get together for a Duke hoops game! I can try to get Shamm as well.
Your mama wears combat boots to bed.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 15th, 2010, 10:14 am

devildeac wrote:OK, after reading about everything I possibly could tonite about this :poo: , I'm gonna hold out a sliver of hope. Why? Cut's loyalty to his assistants. He got canned at Ole Mess (sic) over the non/firing of his coaches and he apparently wants to bring his whole staff to ut but ut has this minor problem of about 6 coaches still remaining after kiffin bolted. However, I am not gonna lose any sleep over it.
QFE.

Every once in a great while I get a hunch. Mostly they are wrong.

I am REALLY, REALLY glad this one was correct.

Honesty.

Integrity.

Loyalty.

Damned fine qualities to have.

Thank you Coach Cut.
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
gadzooks
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by gadzooks » January 15th, 2010, 11:16 am

I am so, SO relieved! I was so sad last night, because like most everybody else, I thought for sure he wouldn't be able to resist that opportunity. Thank you for staying to finish what you started, Coach Cut! :x

:ymparty: :ymparty: :ymparty: :ymparty: :ymparty: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause:
:banana-angel: :banana-blonde: :banana-dance: :banana-dreads: :banana-explosion: :banana-guitar: :banana-jumprope: :banana-linedance: :banana-ninja: :banana-parachute: :banana-rainbow: :banana-rock: :banana-skier: :banana-stoner: :banana-tux: :banana-wrench: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncycyan: :happy-bouncygreen: :happy-bouncymagenta: :happy-bouncymulticolor: :happy-bouncyred: :happy-bouncyredfire: :happy-bouncyshadowgreen: :happy-bouncyyellow: :happy-jumpeveryone: :happy-smileyinthebox: :happy-sunny: :happy-sunshine: :happy-wavemulticolor: :music-rockon:
throatybeard

Post by throatybeard » January 15th, 2010, 11:26 am

Allow myself to quote myself:
I was worried, but Watzone said he was leaving, so now I'm fairly confident he'll stay.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 15th, 2010, 11:29 am

Maybe he can go "poaching" now amongst the UT recruits...

:)) :)) =)) =))
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 15th, 2010, 11:32 am

throatybeard wrote:Allow myself to quote myself:
I was worried, but Watzone said he was leaving, so now I'm fairly confident he'll stay.
Quoting yourself is a perfectly acceptable practice here. In fact, I did it just a couple hours ago. :)) =))
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 15th, 2010, 11:34 am

gadzooks wrote:I am so, SO relieved! I was so sad last night, because like most everybody else, I thought for sure he wouldn't be able to resist that opportunity. Thank you for staying to finish what you started, Coach Cut! :x

:ymparty: :ymparty: :ymparty: :ymparty: :ymparty: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause:
:banana-angel: :banana-blonde: :banana-dance: :banana-dreads: :banana-explosion: :banana-guitar: :banana-jumprope: :banana-linedance: :banana-ninja: :banana-parachute: :banana-rainbow: :banana-rock: :banana-skier: :banana-stoner: :banana-tux: :banana-wrench: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncycyan: :happy-bouncygreen: :happy-bouncymagenta: :happy-bouncymulticolor: :happy-bouncyred: :happy-bouncyredfire: :happy-bouncyshadowgreen: :happy-bouncyyellow: :happy-jumpeveryone: :happy-smileyinthebox: :happy-sunny: :happy-sunshine: :happy-wavemulticolor: :music-rockon:
Wouldn't it be nice if Cut could see all these action smilies in your post that are elated about his decision.

:)) =))
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » January 15th, 2010, 11:35 am

throatybeard wrote:Allow myself to quote myself:
i'll remeber how much attention i should pay when watzone says something. :)) :))
Devil in the Blue Dress

Post by Devil in the Blue Dress » January 15th, 2010, 11:53 am

devildeac wrote:Maybe he can go "poaching" now amongst the UT recruits...

Carolina's already benefited from one defection. I think that the decision to stay at Duke and not go to UT should be a major positive factor in recruiting..... We'll know soon!
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 15th, 2010, 12:34 pm

Devil in the Blue Dress wrote:
devildeac wrote:Maybe he can go "poaching" now amongst the UT recruits...

Carolina's already benefited from one defection. I think that the decision to stay at Duke and not go to UT should be a major positive factor in recruiting..... We'll know soon!
We would certainly hope so. Quite a selling point when they go out on the recruiting roads the next 2-3 weeks and try to solidify this class.
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » January 15th, 2010, 12:37 pm

devildeac wrote:We would certainly hope so. Quite a selling point when they go out on the recruiting roads the next 2-3 weeks and try to solidify this class.
Indeed. And it seems to me that it should be more than just a temporary spike, too...Cut ought to be able to say for years to come, "If I didn't take off to go back to Tennessee, then where else am I gonna go?" (not to mention the fact that for him to consider any other job would require a good deal more maneuvering, owing to the terms of his Duke contract)
Rolvix

Re: Cut, a Blue Devil "for a very long time"

Post by Rolvix » January 15th, 2010, 12:39 pm

Coach Cut is now my new 2nd favorite coach ever.
Class of 2014
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » January 15th, 2010, 12:51 pm

Rolvix wrote:Coach Cut is now my new 2nd favorite coach ever.
And you, my friend, have a very rosy athletic outlook for your four years in the D-town.
YmoBeThere
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by YmoBeThere » January 15th, 2010, 12:52 pm

Ahhh...it's always nice to get great news going into a weekend.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 15th, 2010, 1:38 pm

YmoBeThere wrote:Ahhh...it's always nice to get great news going into a weekend.
Someone over yonder posted they had just moved to C'nnati so I said they should PM you and drag your arse down to some Brunchgates, err FB, games in the fall. They were gonna buy the usual 4 pack of season tix but prolly not come to but a couple games.
Devil in the Blue Dress

Post by Devil in the Blue Dress » January 15th, 2010, 1:49 pm

Is this a great day or what?????? Who'd have thought that Duke football forums on various sites would be so hot in mid January during the dead period for recruiting?????
Ima Facultiwyfe
PWing School Professor

Post by Ima Facultiwyfe » January 15th, 2010, 2:26 pm

The OP won fifty bucks off me in this whole deal. He says he'll apply his winnings to his seats in WW....which he is going in to buy on Monday morning!!!!

Here's to years of happy brunchgating!!!!!!
Love, Ima

"We will never, NEVER go away!".....D. Cutcliffe
"We will never NEVER go away." -- D. Cutcliffe
Rolvix

Post by Rolvix » January 15th, 2010, 3:41 pm

wilson wrote:
Rolvix wrote:Coach Cut is now my new 2nd favorite coach ever.
And you, my friend, have a very rosy athletic outlook for your four years in the D-town.
Heck yeah! I'm still keeping my fingers crossed that Ol' Roy and Butch will decide to take an extended vacation to somewhere very far away, perhaps Madagascar, and never be heard from again.

Strike that.

I hope Butch leaves and Roy stays. I like this new Carolina team!
Class of 2014