The Recipe Thread

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

The Recipe Thread

Post by CameronBornAndBred » April 23rd, 2009, 11:09 am

I had mentioned I was making beef jerky today and it was brought to my attention that there is no recipe thread here. Well, there is now.

As far as the Jerky recipe goes, it's pretty simple.I don't have a recipe for it. :D

The marinade is whatever I have in my fridge at the time I'm making it, but the base is always soy sauce.
For what I'm marinating now, I used about a cup of soy sauce, and a cup or worcestershire sauce. I added sliced ginger (chopped up), and about 2 tbs. of the juice that is in the ginger bottle. To top it off I added a couple tsp. of hot sauce.
I usually prefer to use a london broil for the jerky, but I'm on a budget this week so I used a 2.5 pound roast. After marinating for 24 hours, I will place it in my dehydrator (another great thrift store purchase) until it is done, which will probably be about 5-6 hours or so. Homemade jerky is great, and way cheaper than buying it in the store. Plus, if you have a dehydrator, you can dry fruit, veggies, other meats..etc.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Re: The Recipe Thread

Post by CathyCA » April 23rd, 2009, 11:18 am

Do you slice it before or after you place the roast in the dehydrator?
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » April 23rd, 2009, 11:48 am

CathyCA wrote:Do you slice it before or after you place the roast in the dehydrator?
Ooops, yes. I should have included that. The meat is sliced thinly, about a quarter to an eighth inch of thickness. I let the slices marinate before they go in the dehydrator. In fact I just called my wife to get her to stir the marinade up a bit.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » April 23rd, 2009, 12:15 pm

looks like more beer posts coming :D

jerky->brown ale, porter, stout or barleywine :D
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » April 23rd, 2009, 12:21 pm

If anyone likes curry or rice pudding I've got great recipes for each (family recipes, been with us forever).
". . . when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."
— Samuel Johnson

----------

2010 & 2012 CTN NASCAR Fantasy League Champion. No lemurs were harmed in the winning of these titles.

----------
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » April 23rd, 2009, 12:31 pm

My wife likes my carnitas better than anything she can get at a restaurant. And it's really easy. Let me know if there's interest in that one.

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
cl15876
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by cl15876 » April 23rd, 2009, 12:33 pm

bjornolf wrote:My wife likes my carnitas better than anything she can get at a restaurant. And it's really easy. Let me know if there's interest in that one.

%%-
This is the second time in the last 5 days I've heard carnita, thus I am intrigued! Please post away and I'll experiment! :-bd
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » April 23rd, 2009, 12:53 pm

Okay. This is a slow cooker recipe.

Get a decent pork roast. I usually buy the one at Costco cause it'll make a couple of batches, and it's not too fatty if you cut off the one layer of fat on the outside. I often leave it on, then scrape it off with a fork after it's done (it just slides right off). It adds some flavor while cooking. I cut the roast in half, since that's all that fits my little cooker. I then cut the half I'm using into about eight large chunks. I do this to ensure that the flavor penetrates the meat better.

Mix together in the slow cooker:
a few slices of onion
a tablespoon of garlic (I get the "wet" garlic at Costco... I like the flavor better)
one can of diced tomatoes w/ chilis (Roteli is the brand I use)
2 packets of Old El Paso regular taco seasoning
1 packet Ortego Chipotle taco seasoning
enough water to make up the amount of liquid I need

Put in the pork roast chunks and cook on high for about 4-5 hours depending on how much meat I have in it, then I turn it down to low for about an hour. I come back and stir it every once in a while when I think of it, rolling the meat over and stuff. When it's done, shred it with a fork. It's really easy to shred. Falls right apart.

Serve on tortillas. I usually add rice and pinto beans and shredded cheese to mine, but do what you like. I just buy the goya canned pinto beans and throw them in a pot with some Kirkland (Costco brand) real bacon bits and let them simmer on low for a while, stirring occasionally. My wife likes to spoon the goo left in the slow cooker over the meat in her tortilla, but I don't do that.

Enjoy!
%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
cl15876
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by cl15876 » April 23rd, 2009, 3:38 pm

Oh my goodness that sounds delicious! Thanks for sharing the details on this, my mouth is watering as I haven't eaten anything all day! I might be stopping by grocery store tonight! Ooops, can't do that on an empty stomach, that is the kiss of death to my wallet because I end up buying a bunch of extra stuff I don't need!
rockymtn devil
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by rockymtn devil » April 24th, 2009, 9:48 pm

As threatened in the Ymm Beer thread relating to the Great Divide Dunkel Weiss, I tried out a new pan fried trout recipe tonight that I thought I'd share (I killed the end of the DW bomber yesterday, so I paired it with a saison which, as a simple, rustic beer, went well).

I used some beautiful cutthroat trout that I caught last weekend on the Platte River, but any freshwater trout would do (sea trout tends to be a bit fishy so I can't comment on how it would be). Also, this recipe is for one ( :cry: ...jk) so adjust accordingly.

Saute two green onions chopped thin, including both the white and green parts, in butter. After the onions have cooked for a few minutes, add the juice of 1/2 lemon and a few stalks of chopped, fresh tarragon and a bit of salt (I thought about capers, but that might be a bit too salty). Stir everything together, remove from the heat and cover to keep warm.

Brown some bacon to whatever crispiness you want. Crumble and add to the onion-tarragon mixture. Save the drippings.

Sprinkle salt and pepper on the flesh side of the trout. Dredge in some flour (I added a bit of paprika, but you could also use cayenne, or nothing at all) and shake off the excess. Add some butter to the bacon drippings (just enough to have the pan coated) and cook the fish, skin side up, for two minutes. Flip and cook for another 2-3 minutes or until the fish is done.

Serve with the onion-bacon-tarragon topping on top.

The only note that I would add is to be minimal with the salt. A little goes a long way on flavor.
:ymbilly: vs. :ymhiro: Ken vs. Ryu. Classic.
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » April 24th, 2009, 11:05 pm

Can we maybe get this thread stickied so it doesn't move out of the front page? This could always be a great topic to have around.

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » April 24th, 2009, 11:12 pm

I have a recipe for the best way to make corn on the cob (still in the husk, of course). You just soak it in cold water in your sink for about an hour, cutting the silks that hang out of the end off with a pair of scissors. Then just slap it on the grill for about 15 minutes, flipping it midway. You have to play with the heat level a little. On my grill, medium heat works perfectly. You want the husks to be burnt but not totally blackened and falling apart. When you get it inside, you can just shuck it. I just use my hands. My wife uses oven mitts. The steaming of the water you soaked it in makes it come out perfect, AND the silks just come right off once they've been steamed on the grill. It's SO easy to get them off. Corn on the cob is also best if you grill it the same day you buy it without ever refrigerating it. Enjoy!

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » April 25th, 2009, 3:26 pm

bjornolf wrote:Can we maybe get this thread stickied so it doesn't move out of the front page? This could always be a great topic to have around.

%%-
Good idea and done. This will be a good thread to visit when you have no idea what you want to make for dinner.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » April 25th, 2009, 3:29 pm

I do the same as Bjornolf with the corn, except I peel the husks back and remove all the silk, then put the husks back in place. Cooking corn on the grill is way tasty. I keep thinking that it would be good to butter and pepper the cob while I've got the husks peeled back, but haven't remembered to do it yet. One day....
rockymtn devil

Post by rockymtn devil » April 25th, 2009, 5:54 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:I do the same as Bjornolf with the corn, except I peel the husks back and remove all the silk, then put the husks back in place. Cooking corn on the grill is way tasty. I keep thinking that it would be good to butter and pepper the cob while I've got the husks peeled back, but haven't remembered to do it yet. One day....
I do it on the grill as well and do add the butter, salt and pepper (and sometimes some lime juice) before hand and then re-husk. I cook it on indirect medium for about 30 minutes or so.
:ymbilly: vs. :ymhiro: Ken vs. Ryu. Classic.
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » April 25th, 2009, 10:15 pm

Man, it is SO much easier to get the silks off if you cook it first. They just fall off if you do that. They're such a pain if you do it before.

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » April 26th, 2009, 10:21 am

bjornolf wrote:Man, it is SO much easier to get the silks off if you cook it first. They just fall off if you do that. They're such a pain if you do it before.
I never knew it made a difference, cool! They are the bane of corn cobs!
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » April 26th, 2009, 11:25 am

Yeah, if you just grip the nubs of the silk at the top and peel the husk in two pieces like a banana, the silks come RIGHT off with the husks, maybe one or two left, but they're easier to pick off too. It rocks.

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Miles
PWing School Associate Professor
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by Miles » April 29th, 2009, 3:59 am

I peel back the husks and tie some twine around them. Then I mix unsalted butter, freshly chopped parsley, minced garlic, and white pepper. Sometimes I'll add parmesan cheese instead of garlic. Then I rub that all over the corn and grill it, rotating every 2-3 minutes until there are some nice grill marks. Ymmm grill marks.
=p~ :-bd \:D/
sMiles
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » April 29th, 2009, 12:58 pm

That sounds really good to me, but that would be something my wife would say you only do if you had bad corn you didn't want to taste. ;) She gets it garden fresh, eaten within a day of picking, and I think she'd feel that disguised the taste of the corn too much.

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...