8. Louisville
9. Memphis
10. Florida

:happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue:
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Re: 2011-2012 Rankings

Post by CameronBornAndBred » October 20th, 2011, 1:26 pm

Only 2 ACC teams with rankings. Only 2 more ACC teams with votes. (FSU and UVA). That sucks. Time for the rest of the league to make some noise.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 20th, 2011, 2:42 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:Only 2 ACC teams with rankings. Only 2 more ACC teams with votes. (FSU and UVA). That sucks. Time for the rest of the league to make some noise.
The rest of the league has been making noise for years, usually emanating from Blacksburg, College Park and Atlanta. It's called whining. :D
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
Bob Green
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by Bob Green » October 20th, 2011, 8:05 pm

I'm a little bit worried as the season rapidly approaches. With all the talent and experience we've lost over the past two years, we are counting on a lot of unknowns in order to live up to a #6 preseason ranking. What are those unknowns I worried about?

1. Who are our big time scorers? Not a single player on the current roster has previously averaged double-digits scoring. Curry did it at Liberty but that doesn't count in my book.
2. Do we have an ACC quality point guard? With the exception of last year with Kyrie Irving, this has been a year in year out discussion point since Chris Duhon graduated in 2004.
3. Can the Plumlee brothers be a consistent force inside? I've stated it before and I'll state it again, we need Miles and Mason to solve the little issues, which are preventing them from being consistent players: dumb fouls, poor free throw shooting and being weak with the ball in the low post.
4. How good are our freshmen? Austin Rivers may be a superstar or he might be a bust. There are no guarantees. Quinn Cook could solve our point guard concerns, but is he really healthy? Alex Murphy is another guy I expect to challenge to play a lot of minutes on the wing, once he adapts to the speed of the game. The question is how long will that take.

If Duke is to stay in the Top 10 all season and challenge :9f: for the ACC Title, Curry and Dawkins are going to have be consistent scorers, someone has to establish themselves as the point guard, the Plumlees are going to have to be consistent inside, and the freshmen (not just Rivers) are going to have to grow up in a hurry!

Bob
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 20th, 2011, 10:55 pm

Bob Green wrote:I'm a little bit worried as the season rapidly approaches. With all the talent and experience we've lost over the past two years, we are counting on a lot of unknowns in order to live up to a #6 preseason ranking. What are those unknowns I worried about?

1. Who are our big time scorers? Not a single player on the current roster has previously averaged double-digits scoring. Curry did it at Liberty but that doesn't count in my book.
2. Do we have an ACC quality point guard? With the exception of last year with Kyrie Irving, this has been a year in year out discussion point since Chris Duhon graduated in 2004.
3. Can the Plumlee brothers be a consistent force inside? I've stated it before and I'll state it again, we need Miles and Mason to solve the little issues, which are preventing them from being consistent players: dumb fouls, poor free throw shooting and being weak with the ball in the low post.
4. How good are our freshmen? Austin Rivers may be a superstar or he might be a bust. There are no guarantees. Quinn Cook could solve our point guard concerns, but is he really healthy? Alex Murphy is another guy I expect to challenge to play a lot of minutes on the wing, once he adapts to the speed of the game. The question is how long will that take.

If Duke is to stay in the Top 10 all season and challenge :9f: for the ACC Title, Curry and Dawkins are going to have be consistent scorers, someone has to establish themselves as the point guard, the Plumlees are going to have to be consistent inside, and the freshmen (not just Rivers) are going to have to grow up in a hurry!

Bob
1. I think Kelly, Curry and Rivers will lead the team in scoring averaging 12-15 points each.
2. K seems to think Seth will be one of the top 10 PG in the nation. I think he'll have a reasonable back-up in TT and I liked what I saw at CTC with Cook, specifically with his speed (not in Kyrie's league) and a nice long range jumper.
3, Los Plums had a good night at CTC with FT but picked up fouls at a, well, Plumlee-like rate. If we have 2 bigs in foul trouble, I think we'll go small with Hairston or Murphy at the 4 and the remaining big at the 5 spot.
4. I think AR will be very good. Not Irving type ready but I think he will be outstanding after 2-3 months of tutelage by K. I talked to Hairston and Murphy at a Brunchgate and they both said Cook is 100%. Rumors abounding that Murphy challenges for the starting 3 spot.
Bob Green

Post by Bob Green » October 21st, 2011, 12:29 am

devildeac wrote: 1. I think Kelly, Curry and Rivers will lead the team in scoring averaging 12-15 points each.
2. K seems to think Seth will be one of the top 10 PG in the nation. I think he'll have a reasonable back-up in TT and I liked what I saw at CTC with Cook, specifically with his speed (not in Kyrie's league) and a nice long range jumper.
3, Los Plums had a good night at CTC with FT but picked up fouls at a, well, Plumlee-like rate. If we have 2 bigs in foul trouble, I think we'll go small with Hairston or Murphy at the 4 and the remaining big at the 5 spot.
4. I think AR will be very good. Not Irving type ready but I think he will be outstanding after 2-3 months of tutelage by K. I talked to Hairston and Murphy at a Brunchgate and they both said Cook is 100%. Rumors abounding that Murphy challenges for the starting 3 spot.
Plumlee-like??? The proper descriptor is "Plumleesque" :D my English professors never described my literary efforts as Hemingway-like. Of course, in the spirit of true disclosure, they never descried them as Hemingway-esque either.

And as far as your list of leading scorers go, how about Dawkins? If Curry buys into the point guard role and succeeds, doesn't that mean he will look to involve others into the offense. Our success on the season might depend upon Dawkins scoring more than Curry. I'm convinced Murphy will play major minutes.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 21st, 2011, 8:08 am

Bob Green wrote:
devildeac wrote: 1. I think Kelly, Curry and Rivers will lead the team in scoring averaging 12-15 points each.
Plumlee-like??? The proper descriptor is "Plumleesque" :D my English professors never described my literary efforts as Hemingway-like. Of course, in the spirit of true disclosure, they never descried them as Hemingway-esque either.

And as far as your list of leading scorers go, how about Dawkins? If Curry buys into the point guard role and succeeds, doesn't that mean he will look to involve others into the offense. Our success on the season might depend upon Dawkins scoring more than Curry. I'm convinced Murphy will play major minutes.
I like 'Dre but I have seen him get lost too many times the last 2 years, understandably so with the 2010 NC team with Jon, Kyle and ndotsmitty as offensive weapons. Plus, the tragedy he had to endure in addition to him being a bit young having re-classified. I saw some of the same again last year, once again, due to Kyle and Nolan being such huge threats. Unfortunately, I still saw that in CTC. Yea, I know it's a scrimmage and I did not expect a Horvathian type (or should that be Horvath-esque :)) ;;) ) performance but, even after 2 years+ in the system, he still looked a bit "lost." I'd love for him to be 10+ PPG and make us even more dangerous offensively but reading some of the reports, too, about Murphy and his potentially challenging for the 3 spot, makes me a bit concerned about 'Dre.

I'd be real happy if MP1 and MP2 also averaged about 10 PPG each this year, just as long as it is not predicated on long-range jumpers for either of them. My BP and pulse rise dramatically any time I witness either of them launch a 15+ foot jumper, though at this stage in their college careers, they should be able to nail that shot a reasonable %age of the time.
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » October 21st, 2011, 9:14 am

devildeac wrote:
CameronBornAndBred wrote:Only 2 ACC teams with rankings. Only 2 more ACC teams with votes. (FSU and UVA). That sucks. Time for the rest of the league to make some noise.
The rest of the league has been making noise for years, usually emanating from Blacksburg, College Park and Atlanta. It's called whining. :D
Sometimes it's a giant sucking sound, as well.
Iron Duke #1471997.
YmoBeThere

Post by YmoBeThere » October 22nd, 2011, 6:32 am

I would think AR would be capable of 12-15 a game...
Jesus_hurley
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by Jesus_hurley » October 28th, 2011, 1:12 pm

#6 in the AP poll as well
EarlJam
PWing School Associate Professor
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by EarlJam » November 9th, 2011, 10:46 am

For the reasons mostly articulated by Bob Green, I'd put Duke around #15 to start the season. We'll be fine, and will get better, but I see some real struggles early on. Along with stats, the intangibles lost from Singler and Smith will take some time to "recover" from. Going into January, I predict Duke to be at #15 or so, and that's cool.

-EJ
Your mama wears combat boots to bed.
Jesus_hurley

Post by Jesus_hurley » November 9th, 2011, 3:01 pm

Pre-season bracketology. I know it's waaay too early, but still fun :D

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/bracketology

Duke is #2 in the West. I'd like those potential matchups.

:happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue:
Jesus_hurley

Post by Jesus_hurley » November 14th, 2011, 2:48 pm