LTE 2.0

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

wilson
PWing School Professor

Re: LTE 2.0

Post by wilson » May 25th, 2011, 8:36 am

CathyCA wrote:
YmoBeThere wrote:So, if there are official Good Morning and Good Night threads, is this the official anytime thread?
I think it's the official anytime, anything thread.

:9f:
Pop Tarts.
It all started with Pop Tarts.
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » May 25th, 2011, 8:38 am

wilson wrote:It all started with Pop Tarts.
This kind,
not this kind.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » May 25th, 2011, 9:44 am

wilson wrote:
CathyCA wrote:
YmoBeThere wrote:So, if there are official Good Morning and Good Night threads, is this the official anytime thread?
I think it's the official anytime, anything thread.

Pop Tarts.
It all started with Pop Tarts.
I have a box of apple cinnamon pop tarts on my office desk. They are yummy.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » May 25th, 2011, 10:21 am

wilson wrote:
wilson wrote:It all started with Pop Tarts.
This kind,
not this kind.
Not quite. It was chocolate Pop Tarts but with peppermint filling ;;) .

Nice pix though :)) =)) .
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » May 25th, 2011, 8:16 pm

I'm watching American Idol. I hope Scottie wins. Someone said he gives them the creeps. Could it be his lazy eye?
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » May 25th, 2011, 8:23 pm

Very Duke Blue wrote:I'm watching American Idol. I hope Scottie wins. Someone said he gives them the creeps. Could it be his lazy eye?
Isn't it a battle between NC and GA?

Sort of like Fantasia Burino (sp?) vs. Diana DeGarmo (sp?)... 8-}

Sort of like Pepsi vs. Coke... :ymparty:

Sort of like Wake vs. GaTech... :)) =))
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » May 25th, 2011, 8:30 pm

Very Duke Blue wrote:I'm watching American Idol. I hope Scottie wins. Someone said he gives them the creeps. Could it be his lazy eye?
I didn't see the episode from last night when the top two competed. Did I miss anything?
:-? :-ss 8-| /:) :-s :asleep:
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » May 25th, 2011, 8:44 pm

Tony Bennett w/Hailey (sp?)
OMG!!

By the way... Tony Bennett can sing anything he wants to even 30 years after he records stuff.

Dude is like 85!! WOW!! :ymapplause: :ymapplause:
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » May 25th, 2011, 9:51 pm

:happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: Mom's power in eastern VA is back on. She had no damage to the house, just a few limbs in the yard.

My BFF Lara lost a fence and an awning, but everyone I know is safe.
Iron Duke #1471997.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » May 25th, 2011, 10:00 pm

Lavabe wrote:

Why Wake v. Tech?

“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » May 25th, 2011, 10:02 pm

I just finished my client meeting. I billed 10 hours today. BILLED. That's not how much I worked. That's how much I could bill.

“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » May 25th, 2011, 10:44 pm

CathyCA wrote:
Lavabe wrote:

Why Wake v. Tech?

I didn't really think that Georgia has a school that is basketball-wise consistently on a par with Duke (nor do I think they have one that consistently outperforms the Holes). I guess I could have chosen State vs. Tech?
By the way, whatever happened to Burino and DeGarmo?
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » May 26th, 2011, 5:44 am

Lavabe wrote:
CathyCA wrote:
Lavabe wrote: Isn't it a battle between NC and GA?

Why Wake v. Tech?

I didn't really think that Georgia has a school that is basketball-wise consistently on a par with Duke (nor do I think they have one that consistently outperforms the Holes). I guess I could have chosen State vs. Tech?
By the way, whatever happened to Burino and DeGarmo?
Fantasia has been busy eating and singing about Collard Greens and Cornbread. I don't know about Diana.

~ James Naismith
Bostondevil
Graduate Student at PWing school
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by Bostondevil » May 26th, 2011, 11:30 am

http://broadwayworld.com/people/Diana_DeGarmo/

Like a lot of American Idols, she's on Broadway, mostly, or to be more exact, touring with Broadway shows.
The time is out of joint, O cursed spite!
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » May 27th, 2011, 11:43 am

I was enjoying my day off from work, doing some stuff around the house, when I made the mistake of checking my work e-mail. Short back story: my boss hired someone to run the instrument that I was supposed to be working on; I found this out in a phone conference with the instrument manufacturer when she was at the training class (this is the person that gets to go to the professional conference in my place). She started from scratch on method development, and I haven't been involved in any of the meetings. They have basically scrapped all of my work and started over at the beginning for some obscure reason. At this point they're re-inventing the wheel and figuring out stuff that I sorted out months ago.

We had a phone conference with the instrument vendor yesterday, and I was invited (by the people at the company, not by the new coworker). She had questions about why the sensitivity on her method was bad. I had already optimized this method for similar compounds, and she went with default settings that I had already found to give low sensitivity. I passed along what I did to improve sensitivity. So, back to the e-mail? She sent an e-mail to the people we're working with at the instrument company to confirm that my settings were correct. X( Little does she know that I worked with the people at the company to develop these settings, and they tend to like my approach to method development since it's similar to theirs.

BTW, this particular instrument company is one of the two that I've applied for a job with. Not sure if the new co-worker's actions will help or hurt me.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » May 27th, 2011, 12:12 pm

ArkieDukie wrote: We had a phone conference with the instrument vendor yesterday, and I was invited (by the people at the company, not by the new coworker). She had questions about why the sensitivity on her method was bad. I had already optimized this method for similar compounds, and she went with default settings that I had already found to give low sensitivity. I passed along what I did to improve sensitivity. So, back to the e-mail? She sent an e-mail to the people we're working with at the instrument company to confirm that my settings were correct. X( Little does she know that I worked with the people at the company to develop these settings, and they tend to like my approach to method development since it's similar to theirs.

BTW, this particular instrument company is one of the two that I've applied for a job with. Not sure if the new co-worker's actions will help or hurt me.
If the politics and people at the instrument company are "right", it should help you. If they are fearful that you are going to take THEIR job, You may be SOL.
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » May 27th, 2011, 1:07 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
ArkieDukie wrote: We had a phone conference with the instrument vendor yesterday, and I was invited (by the people at the company, not by the new coworker). She had questions about why the sensitivity on her method was bad. I had already optimized this method for similar compounds, and she went with default settings that I had already found to give low sensitivity. I passed along what I did to improve sensitivity. So, back to the e-mail? She sent an e-mail to the people we're working with at the instrument company to confirm that my settings were correct. X( Little does she know that I worked with the people at the company to develop these settings, and they tend to like my approach to method development since it's similar to theirs.

If the politics and people at the instrument company are "right", it should help you. If they are fearful that you are going to take THEIR job, You may be SOL.
I'd be working with them, but they're at a different location than where I'm applying. The other end of the political spectrum here is whether or not my boss is in the picture. He's giving a talk at the company's customer event at the upcoming professional talk that I'm attending. I think he may be presenting some of my work, so I don't think it would behoove him to bad-mouth me. I could be wrong, though.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » May 28th, 2011, 10:54 am

A great debate is raging on my front porch. Jehovah's Witnesses v. Rev. Lawgrad, graduate of Southern Seminary, Provisional Elder of the United Methodist Church, and soon to be Pastor of the new Stokes-Guilford-Rockingham Charge of the Western District of North Carolina. I have a feeling I know who's going to win this one.
Iron Duke #1471997.
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » May 28th, 2011, 11:13 am

Update: it wasn't much of a debate, and they moved their van off our lawn.
Iron Duke #1471997.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » May 28th, 2011, 11:37 am

lawgrad91 wrote:Update: it wasn't much of a debate, and they moved their van off our lawn.
=)) =)) =)) ^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^ way to go, Rev lawgrad!
-- Albert Einstein