Statler and Waldorf and CathyCA (aka The Snark Thread)

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

wilson
PWing School Professor

Re: Statler and Waldorf and CathyCA (aka The Snark Thread)

Post by wilson » May 11th, 2011, 9:51 pm

Turk wrote:What makes me squirmy is the more likely scenario that the parents are so hypercompetitive and loudly coaching their little travel team "star" from the stands (so there's no doubt everyone knows they're the parents), that the kid gets sick of whatever sport it is and quits playing.
...or even if he/she gets to be exceptionally good at whatever sport, they reach the point where they're so zeroed in on one thing that they're unable to function normally in any other capacity in a normal life.
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » May 11th, 2011, 9:56 pm

Turk wrote:
bjornolf wrote:
lawgrad91 wrote:As a paranoid prosecutor, I get squirmy when I see those magnets on the backs of Mom-vans with a ball, a team name, jersey number and the name of a kid on them. I would not put it past some of our sex offenders to show up at a ballfield and ask little Susie, whose name he knows because he saw her get out of the van, if she wants to walk to his car by the woods to get some ice cream.

My wife and I are definitely freaked out by the ones with the family's names on them. Definitely seems unsafe to us.

@};-
What makes me squirmy is the more likely scenario that the parents are so hypercompetitive and loudly coaching their little travel team "star" from the stands (so there's no doubt everyone knows they're the parents), that the kid gets sick of whatever sport it is and quits playing.

Unfortunately, we DO have the ice cream sex offender but at the moment he's just picking up neighborhood kids, or he was before he moved one county west. I have no idea who he's picking up now.

I work with one of the crazy team parents that you mention. They are all over the place, certainly.
Iron Duke #1471997.
DevilAlumna
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by DevilAlumna » May 12th, 2011, 12:00 am

CameronBornAndBred wrote:Even though crude, I love the bumper sticker that says "My kid beat up your honor roll student". :naughty:
As a geek/nerd, these fundamentally bother me. I don't think physical brutality is something that should be celebrated over academic achievement. Smart kids get picked on enough in school - why endorse it further, particularly as a "parent"?
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » May 12th, 2011, 8:05 am

DevilAlumna wrote:
CameronBornAndBred wrote:Even though crude, I love the bumper sticker that says "My kid beat up your honor roll student". :naughty:
As a geek/nerd, these fundamentally bother me. I don't think physical brutality is something that should be celebrated over academic achievement. Smart kids get picked on enough in school - why endorse it further, particularly as a "parent"?
I agree! I shouldn't think it's funny...but I do. :ymsigh:
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
captmojo
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » May 12th, 2011, 8:52 am

George Carlin's thought was "My kid sells drugs to your honor student". :))
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » May 12th, 2011, 9:10 am

My poodle is smarter than your honor student.

(and probably better behaved)
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
DevilWearsPrada2.0
PWing School Professor

Post by DevilWearsPrada2.0 » May 12th, 2011, 1:01 pm

windsor wrote:My poodle is smarter than your honor student.

That is too funny!

:)) :))
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » May 12th, 2011, 1:15 pm

windsor wrote:My poodle is smarter than your honor student.

I had a "My hound is smarter than your honor student" magnet on my old Explorer.
Iron Duke #1471997.
DevilWearsPrada2.0
PWing School Professor

Post by DevilWearsPrada2.0 » May 12th, 2011, 2:00 pm

wilson wrote:
Turk wrote:What makes me squirmy is the more likely scenario that the parents are so hypercompetitive and loudly coaching their little travel team "star" from the stands (so there's no doubt everyone knows they're the parents), that the kid gets sick of whatever sport it is and quits playing.
...or even if he/she gets to be exceptionally good at whatever sport, they reach the point where they're so zeroed in on one thing that they're unable to function normally in any other capacity in a normal life.

Tiger had to quit the Players Tourney after 9 holes. He was limping on every hole, and had to withdraw. He might need Hip Surgery, like G (Gerald Henderson Jr).
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » May 12th, 2011, 4:26 pm

DevilWearsPrada2.0 wrote:
wilson wrote:

Tiger had to quit the Players Tourney after 9 holes. He was limping on every hole, and had to withdraw. He might need Hip Surgery, like G (Gerald Henderson Jr).
Somewhere out there, Throaty is dancing a jig. :banana-dance:
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » May 12th, 2011, 4:56 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
DevilWearsPrada2.0 wrote:Tiger had to quit the Players Tourney after 9 holes. He was limping on every hole, and had to withdraw. He might need Hip Surgery, like G (Gerald Henderson Jr).
Somewhere out there, Throaty is dancing a jig. :banana-dance:
Normally, I'd agree with you, but I don't think he's jigging over someone's injury...
:-? :-?
Besides, he's probably too much into LalaPujolsLooza/Pujols-Gate/ApujolscalypseNow. ;)

Countdown to throaty post has begun... :-w :-w

:D
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
Johnboy
Part Time Student at PWing school
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by Johnboy » May 13th, 2011, 2:39 pm

DevilWearsPrada2.0 wrote:
wilson wrote:

I'm sorry, but if you read these posts with double-entendre on your mind, it's hilarious. "Playas Tourney" indeed.
Tiger was certainly "zeroed in on one thing"!
"And Johnboy is right" - lawgrad91
DukeUsul
PWing School Assistant Professor
PWing School Assistant Professor

Post by DukeUsul » May 13th, 2011, 5:00 pm

CathyCA wrote:OMG! I do sooooooooooooooooo remember the first time that one of my kids (finally) made the honor roll at school and I got to put one of those "My child is an honor student at Allen School" bumper stickers on my car. You all cannot believe how thrilled and relieved I was. I'm certain that my reaction at the assembly (yes, I was one of those stay-at-home moms who attended the honors assemblies each month) embarrassed and scarred my child for life.

L-)

:9f:
Even though crude, I love the bumper sticker that says "My kid beat up your honor roll student". :naughty:
Wanna talk about snark, my high school had this sticker they gave out to everyone: Lenape High School - We honor ALL our students
-- DukeUsul
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » May 13th, 2011, 5:52 pm

DukeUsul wrote:
CathyCA wrote:OMG! I do sooooooooooooooooo remember the first time that one of my kids (finally) made the honor roll at school and I got to put one of those "My child is an honor student at Allen School" bumper stickers on my car. You all cannot believe how thrilled and relieved I was. I'm certain that my reaction at the assembly (yes, I was one of those stay-at-home moms who attended the honors assemblies each month) embarrassed and scarred my child for life.

L-)

Even though crude, I love the bumper sticker that says "My kid beat up your honor roll student". :naughty:
Wanna talk about snark, my high school had this sticker they gave out to everyone: Lenape High School - We honor ALL our students
Oh, my thuggish inner city high school could so beat up your preppy honor student high school.
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » May 13th, 2011, 5:53 pm

CathyCA wrote:Oh, my thuggish inner city high school could so beat up your preppy honor student high school.
Mine too.
To the beat of a killer drumline.
And me and my quiz bowl teammates would whoop your team too.
DevilAlumna

Post by DevilAlumna » May 13th, 2011, 7:33 pm

wilson wrote:
CathyCA wrote:Oh, my thuggish inner city high school could so beat up your preppy honor student high school.
Mine too.
My high school's quiz bowl team might take exception to that... but i went to a geek math & science high school. :ymsmug:
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » May 13th, 2011, 7:53 pm

DevilAlumna wrote:
wilson wrote:
Mine too.
My high school's quiz bowl team might take exception to that... but i went to a geek math & science high school. :ymsmug:
Yeah, we used to go up against those kinds of schools a lot.
My quiz bowl team won the first state championship in my high school's history (just check our Wikipedia page), and we went to the national tournament twice. :-B
I actually had a ton of fun on that team, and several of my closest friends were on it with me.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » May 13th, 2011, 8:46 pm

Wilson, yours wasn't an inner city high school full of thugs. Mine was and still is. And we can kick your quiz bowl :-B team's butts.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Hanover_High_School

“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » May 13th, 2011, 8:49 pm

CathyCA wrote:Wilson, yours wasn't an inner city high school full of thugs. Mine was and still is. And we can kick your quiz bowl :-B team's butts.

I assure you that we had plenty of thugs. And I'm still calling B.S. on the quiz bowl thing. :-B ;) :ymhug:
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » May 13th, 2011, 9:03 pm

wilson wrote:
CathyCA wrote:Wilson, yours wasn't an inner city high school full of thugs. Mine was and still is. And we can kick your quiz bowl :-B team's butts.

I assure you that we had plenty of thugs. And I'm still calling B.S. on the quiz bowl thing. :-B ;) :ymhug:
I don't think my high school has ever had a quiz bowl team. :ymdevil:

~ James Naismith